Not Going to Burning Man at Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Not Going to Burning Man at Burning Man

Post by jcliff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm looking for some input on my several-year trend of not going to Burning Man all that much when I'm at Burning Man. I developed some guilt after this year's Burn when I saw a bunch of photos of art that I didn't see in person. This happens every year, but maybe more so this year. I did get out exploring a few times, went to a couple burns, did a couple art tours via golf cart, hit some parties (mostly at our friend camps in our neighborhood). But, I largely hung out in my village with my people. I had a great Burn and I always do! But, I'm realizing that my Burns are getting more and more rooted to my place with my village family. How normal is it to not feel the pull to get out and explore Black Rock City?

It should be noted that my trend is super common among my veteran friends (family really)....which is probably why I haven't paid much attention to it in years past. It's also worth mentioning that I have a managerial role in my village, so I do need to be around to handle shit as it comes up. And...we have an awesome lounge. And....I have an autoimmune disease which makes getting around on foot or bike difficult (although I do have access to our golf cart). A recipe for a close to home Burn? Something to feel guilty about? I feel like my Burns are just as valuable now as they were when I was out all over the city....just more people oriented.

Curious if my trend is shared by others that have been around awhile?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Not Going to Burning Man at Burning Man

Post by BBadger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 am

I saw some cool art when I went out, but often going out to see art becomes an exercise in "oh wow, saw that, yeah, that was pretty cool," "oh yeah, we can climb that for a little bit after locking our bikes... okay, let's go find something else," and so on and so forth.

I still never see everything, and miss out on things that I probably should have saw, but at some point my attention gets drained too much to put that extra effort to see as much art as possible. Seeing the sites is great, but, just like the photos I look at after the event, I'm also more interested in the people I am with than any of the sights. Sometimes even navigating the crowds of the Man-burn makes seeing the spectacle of that burn a chore, and I really more miss hanging around with friends away from all that.

So I could see that staying in camp has its appeal. Hell, it's probably even better if your camp has its own attraction too, where the people come to you.

I think I'm okay with missing out on stuff I "should have seen." Now I just let the burn take me where it goes, and tend to have a better time if I focus on staying present in the moment, rather than feeling that I need to pack stuff in or stay on a schedule.

I also really enjoy it when I can take opportunities as they come and just go with it, and also experiences in the city rather than the art on the playa. Also, if that means that my friends have returned from some adventure and I haven't left camp yet, I don't actually feel that bad that I didn't go on "my" adventure, while they did. I'll have a good conversation with them and don't leave camp for a while, that's okay.

What I don't like it when I feel like I'm wasting time, and usually that occurs when I'm in a large group of people trying to go to see some specific thing at a set time. It just takes for-fucking-ever to get that blob of people to go. Then when we arrive -- usually late -- we end up mulling around for a bit before people want to break off anyway.

I'd just rather go out with a smaller group of people and wander, or even just stay in camp with friends. Sight seeing is also much better if you're just riding or walking around trying to see things that someone "heard was cool" or checking out that cool-thing-over-there. It's all about the people I'm with though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 am

Ah, you have reached enlightenment that BM is not about art.

Never was.

It’s the FKOs that make it special.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am

I would love to see a graph of my years plotted out depicting the amount of time I spend at camp. The time has definitely increased year over year. Time at camp sitting under my shade structure with my camp mates is always a major highlight for me. Same goes for getting more sleep every year. I know what's out on the playa & around the city & I still really love exploring it... but also, I've done it. I have always been lucky to have great neighbors that make time kicking back at camp, drinking beers & shooting the shit a lot of fun. My first few years I spent very little time at camp & a ton of time out "going to Burning Man" but I still never came close to seeing everything so I've just made peace with the fact that it will never happen. As long as I'm having fun during TTITD, the burn was a success.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 pm

I stay in camp. People show me photos of action in camp. I think, how did I miss that?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

I was there this year and didn't see the 747 :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 pm

FOMO

You will need a lifetime only to see most of what happens during the single week.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Our camp had over 2,000 visitors (we guesstimate, who's counting?) per day. I'm camp Mom/pfluffer. If my awesome SO had not appeared with the tandem to drag me out, I'd have never left camp this year.

As it was, I got to the trash fence TWICE (woo hoo) and over to buzz about on the 9 side back in the city/inner playa.

Thanks, love.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm

BBadger wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 am

What I don't like it when I feel like I'm wasting time, and usually that occurs when I'm in a large group of people trying to go to see some specific thing at a set time. It just takes for-fucking-ever to get that blob of people to go. Then when we arrive -- usually late -- we end up mulling around for a bit before people want to break off anyway.
This!!! Moving any group around anywhere in BRC is like trying to herd house cats.....or maybe raccoons (shiny objects). Worse yet when you have a folks who are tripping balls and you can't help but worry about the possible magnitude of their bad decisions. :shock:

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I didn't need validation for being a lounge lizard, but it's nice to hear that it's a valid choice.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:49 pm

tatonka wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm
I was there this year and didn't see the 747 :)
Same. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 pm

I guess when you come back year after year, things become routine. I may or may not stop at the Empire Store when passing by. The heart pounding excitement of entering Black Rock City is diminished a bit. The past few years, I found myself setting up our camp and never looked out to the street. All I had to do was look to the left, and I could see the Burning Man pavilion. All I had to do was look, and it took a day to do that.
The same thing happens around the neighborhoods. My first year, I took 600 photos. I was in wide-eyed amazement. Now I struggle to remember I have a camera with me.
Ho hum, another year on the playa. :shock:

Note: I did gets hugs from Savannah and Gaminwench this year, so all was good.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 am

7B3104AE-7FCD-46CA-8F39-3705F254E722.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

whiskeywhore

Post by whiskeywhore » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:19 pm

At the end of my second year, a wise and crusty old burner in my camp took me aside. He told me "The first couple Burns, you come for the spectacle. After that, you come for the people you love." 10 years later, it's still true.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:35 pm

The only way to guarantee having an awesome experience when you go out is to be the one causing the experience to happen.

Person A: walks around, looks at art, chats a bit with people also walking around looking at art, goes to a sound camp, doesn't like the music, goes to deep playa, gets cold, wanders back towards camp, someone comes up to them and hands them a pencil sketch of them next to a cool piece of art, feels happy and carries a new treasure back to camp.

Person B: walks around, looks at art, sketches random people looking at art and gives them the sketches, sketches people in deep playa and gives them the sketches, fills an entire awesome night sharing happiness and conversation.

You have something you can give, whether it's art, music, swooping in on broken bikes or outfits with a handy repair or sewing kit. You have an I Ching set, or a portable telescope. You have a wireless suitcase that controls the flame effects on a nearby art car. You have a kickass chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Don't go to Burning Man...be Burning Man.

Return to “Philosophical Center”