Burning Man fails 'Leave No Trace' inspection, has to go back to Black Rock Desert for more cleanup

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Burning Man fails 'Leave No Trace' inspection, has to go back to Black Rock Desert for more cleanup

Post by 666isMONEY » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Burning Man left quite a trace this year, and not just the 747 plane.

Bureau of Land Management officials recently informed Burning Man organizers that they failed the annual environmental inspection of the event site.

One of the areas inspected had nearly seven times more debris than is allowed by contract with the BLM, which permits the event.

"Any event that's held, we want to make sure that the playa is kept clean and safe," said BLM Winnemucca office spokesperson Fernando Pitones.

Read more: https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/bur ... 393118002/
🙀

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Re: Burning Man fails 'Leave No Trace' inspection, has to go back to Black Rock Desert for more cleanup

Post by 666isMONEY » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 pm

🤔
859BE79B-52BA-4F2D-9C41-122BEC9FBB24.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Burning Man fails 'Leave No Trace' inspection, has to go back to Black Rock Desert for more cleanup

Post by burner von braun » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:50 pm

This, from the BMorg, refutes the reckless Reno Gazette Journal article as well.

https://journal.burningman.org/2018/12/ ... nspection/

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:04 am

No better time to drop a poorly sourced story involving a govt agency than over a weekend, going into a major holiday, and during a govt shutdown. The timing doth stinketh
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:41 am

I firmly believe DA over anything published in the Reno Gazette Journal. I don't think anyone who writes for the paper has ever been to Burning Man. Most stories appear to be based on rumors. :roll:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:06 am

Do they ever print retractions or apologies? Talk about fake news.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:29 am

Well I don’t know where my reply went but here ya go again;

Jenny Kane is an rgj reporter, yes she’s been to burning man. Yes, she’s been raked over the coals a bit on FB over this. She said that she would be getting more info as to why or how she got this info from blm, it may take a few days with the holiday and govt shutdown.

You can unbunch your panties for now... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Just glad it is a hoax :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:56 pm

yet again we see an example of how we can't trust the media......and still, it can be said, if a person wants to believe what the media says, it's "news", if they don't, it's "fake news"......never really knowing the whole, or often even true, story...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 am

ygmir wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:56 pm
yet again we see an example of how we can't trust the media......and still, it can be said, if a person wants to believe what the media says, it's "news", if they don't, it's "fake news"......never really knowing the whole, or often even true, story...
Could Dan Love have colluded with Jenny Kane? :roll:
Choco-Taco Gate deepens.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 am

Sham wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:44 am
ygmir wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:56 pm
Could Dan Love have colluded with Jenny Kane? :roll:
Choco-Taco Gate deepens.
I like where this is going... "what's my conspiracy?"...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:21 am

This seems like more of a dispute between BMORG and the BLM Winnemucca office than anything to do with the Gazette Journal.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:29 pm

RGI is the same dirt rag that was publishing stories about the 747 being “mooped” on the playa.
This seems about on par.
Jenny Kane May have been to Burning Man, most likely looking out the window of a minivan on a sponsored press visit.

This is just a reminder than most everything else you read or see on the news is suspect. Reporters’ job is to come up with stories. They happen across something they don’t know jack schitt about, write up a story and send it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Sounds more like facts leading into an assumption.

Yes, the BLM found amounts of MOOP they didn't like at certain locations.

Yes, they told BMORG to go back out there in the spring and do more moop sweeps.

No, this doesn't mean the inspection failed in toto (though certain areas gave BLM some concern).

Bless

Post by Bless » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 pm

BLM Winnemucca office spokesperson Fernando Pitones literally told the Reno Gazette Journal that Burning Man failed inspection. He is a federal official.

When contacted to comment for the original article, BMORG failed to respond to a list of questions.

I don't know why you're hating on this poor reporter. Reporting what a federal official says is not fake news.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Bless wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 pm
BLM Winnemucca office spokesperson Fernando Pitones literally told the Reno Gazette Journal that Burning Man failed inspection. He is a federal official.

When contacted to comment for the original article, BMORG failed to respond to a list of questions.

I don't know why you're hating on this poor reporter. Reporting what a federal official says is not fake news.

+100
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:25 pm

. :roll:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:36 pm

That shines a whole new light on this. So what does the BLM have to gain by lying about this?
Bless wrote:

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:25 am

Bless wrote:

I don't know why you're hating on this poor reporter.
Even you agree she’s a poor reporter.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:29 am

This strongly suggests that the Bureau of Land Management is behind ALL the fake news happening in Washington right now. :shock:

Return to “Leave No Trace”