Breathable radiant barrier? "Therm-a-Rest Warmer" Slacker Hammock Series

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.
Juzi
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Breathable radiant barrier? "Therm-a-Rest Warmer" Slacker Hammock Series

Post by Juzi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 am

Derek Hansen wrote a very convincing review on the ultra light weight radiant heat aluminized sheet U.Q. substitute insulation from Therm-a-Rest. He and they claim it breaths remarkably well and does not suffer the condensation problems in high humidity environments and with your own body's transpiration that a simple mylar sheet (emergency blanket) does. Similar products have been available in the past and had problems with not lasting very long, The foil like material delaminated, so I will be interested to see how this one holds up. It could be a good choice for people who actually hike long distances and really need to lighten their packs regardless of the long term cost, or if you don't camp very often and just want a relatively cheap $70 U.Q. substitute for those nights when your warm weather quilt is not quite enough. However, these don't seem to be widely available yet. Darn it, I have a $67 credit at REI from a ground pad I returned after using it for 6 years because the cheap plastic valve leaked, now REI only has a 12 month return policy so I don't have any loyalty to REI but buy from Backcountry and several dozen other places.

Sham

Re: Breathable radiant barrier? "Therm-a-Rest Warmer" Slacker Hammock Series

Post by Sham » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 am

Bumping this over to Event Preparation.

Canoe

Re: Breathable radiant barrier? "Therm-a-Rest Warmer" Slacker Hammock Series

Post by Canoe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Juzi wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 am
Derek Hansen wrote a very convincing review on the ultra light weight radiant heat aluminized sheet U.Q. substitute insulation from Therm-a-Rest. He and they claim it breaths remarkably well and does not suffer the condensation problems in high humidity environments and with your own body's transpiration that a simple mylar sheet (emergency blanket) does. Similar products have been available in the past and had problems with not lasting very long, The foil like material delaminated, so I will be interested to see how this one holds up. It could be a good choice for people who actually hike long distances and really need to lighten their packs regardless of the long term cost, or if you don't camp very often and just want a relatively cheap $70 U.Q. substitute for those nights when your warm weather quilt is not quite enough. However, these don't seem to be widely available yet. Darn it, I have a $67 credit at REI from a ground pad I returned after using it for 6 years because the cheap plastic valve leaked, now REI only has a 12 month return policy so I don't have any loyalty to REI but buy from Backcountry and several dozen other places.
Hmmm
Nothing new in three years...
http://hammockhangers.net/viewtopic.php?t=528
Post by TXyakr » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:58 am
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Keeping Cool”