Our first burn..

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Our first burn..

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:16 pm

A little late writing this as our first burn was in 2016.

We took 3 days to drive to the gate in the rented RV. We felt we were prepared for every contingency. Big thanks to this forum and its members for that.

As we arrived at the gate at about 9pm Sunday night, the line was not long, but a white out hit just as we pulled into the line. They shut down the gate.

Now, here we are sitting the RV, which is not ready for the Playa yet, and we noticed dust blowing in through the various cracks and other openings in the RV. The Wife and I looked at each other and just started laughing. In less than an hour, we had our own private white out inside the RV. The line started moving though and by midnight we reached the gate.

If we had any thoughts of how bad we had it, we met the gate dude. The sparkle pony who was not prepared for the whiteout at all. The dude who clanged his head on the outside mirror and fell into the door of the RV, which only served to make us laugh a bit harder. The dude with a t-shirt wrapped around his face trying to hold back some of the dust. The dude who was also a darkwad!

When he got enough composure to look into the RV, and see the tickets, he looked at us, and said, "You guys have been here before, right?". Suuurrrre we have. He waved us through. Now, we could barely see 10 feet in front of the RV and all we had to go by was the map of where we were supposed to park in the camp.

We were moving about 1MPH, trying to see any signs indicating streets. Finally spotted one, and it happen to be where we needed to turn. So, I stop.....

Wife says: Why you stopping?
Me: I cannot see the ground where I am going to turn.
Wife says: So?
Me: What if I misjudge and run over some poor campers?!?!?!
Wife (pondering): Then they fail at radical self-reliance!
Me: Oh crap.....

So we soldier on. Did not hit anyone, that we are aware of. Four or five more turns, and we park. I look over at her and say, "Well, we are either where we should be or where we should not be.". She raises an eyebrow.

We break out the covers and hit the bed. Got up the next morning, and I was exactly where I was suppose to be and there was a dude, in a tent, 8 feet in front of the RV. He was sitting there drinking coffee and he shouts, "Heard you come in last night!"

Me: Yeah, it was a rough one.
Him: Yeah, I was scrambling for a light. I just knew you were going to run over me.
Me: Would you like some pancakes to go with that?
Him: That'll work.

Recounting the night to him and finishing with, "You have no idea how close you came to being a hood ornament."
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Re: Our first burn..

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Part 2

Our first burn was awesome. 9 days on the Playa with near perfect weather the entire time. Many small white-outs and one doozy the night of the burn. We learned something new every day. We did stupid a few times that week, but mostly I think we did well.

The RV utility battery died the first day. We moved all the cold stuff into the large cooler we brought and I rode the bike down to pick up ice (not knowing the camp had a daily run). Without the utulity battery. No refrigerator and as an added bonus the generator could not be started as well. Luckily, the genny could start when we ran the engine. So we started the engine 3 times a day to coax the genny to life so we could cook. Did not start the engine just so we could run the water pump in the RV. We saved up the melted ice water and used it in the toilet. Skipped showers and used the baby wipes instead.

Turns out we were only in the RV long enough to eat and sleep. The rest of the time we were all over the Playa. Mid week did the Astral headwash (awesome folks!!!) and the Human Carcass Car wash (also awesome folks!). That was nice and very invigorating. Felt like new peeps after that.

It was an awesome 9 days!

We missed out 2017 and 2018 due to family issues, but are finally coming back home in 2019! See ya in the dust!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Return to “Stories”