Virgin Burner Couple Looking for an RV to share

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
lalamo
Burning Since: 2019

Virgin Burner Couple Looking for an RV to share

Post by lalamo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi my fellow burners!

2019 will be the first burn for my boyfriend and I! We're SOO EXCITED but WOW we didn't realize how hard it would be to plan.

At this point, we've booked about 3 RVs to have them cancel on us when we've mentioned that Black Rock is our destination.

BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

We're looking for folks who have some extra space and are looking for some extra hands at playa. We're up for anything and are looking to make some awesome friends.

PLEASE reach out to me if you have any advice, tips, or have some extra space in your RV / CAMP.

Hope to connect with someone soon.

Cheers!

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Virgin Burner Couple Looking for an RV to share

Post by Bless » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Cruise America is very friendly toward burners and the whole event. You shouldn't have a problem renting from them as long as they still have inventory left.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello! you don't say where you are coming from, but my advice to first timers is to keep it simple!

Rent a cargo van, get an inflatable bed, camp gear and check it out. RVing is nice, but a lot of work to clean after the event. As far as sharing, that's a whole bunch of potential drama. Basic: shade, water, food, bikes.

Even if you end up in a camp with your van, be self sufficient and you will be happy.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

lalamo
Burning Since: 2019

Post by lalamo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Luigi!

We're coming from Miami.

Cargo van might be my next option!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:05 pm

The lovely thing about a cargo van (besides the fact that you can strap bikes to the interior walls, and it can literally hold everything that 2 people should need) is that you can literally hose out the back of it at a car wash. Bring some shammies and a spray bottle of vinegar for the other dusty bits in the front. Flat sheets are nice for the seats upon exodus, although a good industrial vacuum @ a car wash can help.

You can also sometimes tie a tarp from a van to some poles and make shade (you will still need a little shade besides the van itself; you won't be able to sleep past 9am or so in a van).

You can also fit a whole shade structure inside, though. Don't get a cheap $50 EZ-Up, get something from Sportsman's Guide perhaps, and some rebar and ratchet straps or good rope, and overstake the heck out of it. :)

RVs are nice, but they're a lot of work. I can afford one, but it's just not worth it for me (and bigger than I want to drive). For others, they're indispensible.

That said, El Monte is another brand besides Cruise America that I see @ the Burn all the time. I can't vouch for their reputations; I just know that they are willing to rent to Burners.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:10 am

We are going with El Monte this year, and so far the service/support has been impeccable. We are doing a one way rental this year, dropping it off in Reno, then flying home.

Prices were reasonable as well (relatively speaking, of course). I'll let you know how it all turns out.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Just buy your own.
“RV” can be a huge 2 million dollar bus or a tiny little “tear drop” trailer that a big motorcycle can tow.
Get an old trailer, clean it up, paint the inside and doll it up.
It’s cheaper than renting, and way better. You can even sell it off when you get home if you don’t wanna keep it.

I don’t understand why so many people think they have to rent a motorhome to have all the comforts plus dust storm shelter.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 pm

So true--Motzy's trailer only cost him $2,000 used. It had ants, but the playa killed them. :lol: He's used it for 5-6 years now. If I felt comfortable pulling a trailer behind my truck, I'd go that route in a heartbeat. I'd probably have to store it professionally during the year though.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Last cargo van I bought in Reno - 1999 Chevy with 175k miles ran no problems, only thing I bought was tires - for $2000. Two burns later sold it for $2500. Platform bed queen size foam......comfy.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am

Some of us have no place to store RV's or trucks or any towable something.

Heck, the only thing I get out of an RV is a dark, quiet place to sleep (in a decent bed), a kitchen, and some privacy for taking the morning constitutional. :)

Oh, and a comfortable ride for 1800 miles. I do not know why, but I can drive an RV all day long and not get tired or feel sore the next day.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Savannah wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 pm
If I felt comfortable pulling a trailer behind my truck, I'd go that route in a heartbeat.
Huh? Any there I was all these decades believing TTITD gets us to push our comfort level ;)

Cmmon, you know you can do it!

It’s real nice with a small travel trailer in tow. Setup and strike are trivial.

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”