I'm a Birgin

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
rawuk
Burning Since: 2019

I'm a Birgin

Post by rawuk » Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am

Hello

I've never even been to a music festival (closest thing this could be compared to) let alone a cultural experience event of this scale, but Burning Man has been calling me since I first heard about it ten or so years ago. Yet, as always, life and especially fear got in the way of that.

You see, I come from a very restrictive area where art isn't really spoken about, because we don't live, only survive. A place where negativity is king, where we aren't encouraged to discover or express our emotions, and where we are ridiculed for stepping outside of our 'boxes' we are assigned at birth. A box which I've been trying to escape and burn for as long as I can remember, and over the past few years I've realised that the group I wanted to be apart of, my only escape, do not exist, because they shout about the things I hold dear, but label (box in) and attack those they see as being different to themselves as much as anyone from 'this side of the fence' where I've been forced to live on. This has left me feeling rejected like a magnet being repelled by every other rigid magnetic group. Left levitating in empty space.

So, what I'm saying is Burning Man has ever increasingly become my burning beacon, and this is summer I will travel across the world to an inhospitable desert to hopefully learn how to thrive spiritually and emotionally.

Oh, I plan on catching the Burner Express in on Tuesday 27th or Wednesday 28th. I know this won't be enough time to see/do everything, but should be ample to get a good feel etc, but will there be enough space left in the no themed camp area by then?

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Re: I'm a Birgin

Post by Kelsier » Tue May 07, 2019 9:54 am

Welcome!

Note that even if you arrived the moments the gate opened, there STILL won't be time to see and do everything.

Don't worry, you'll be able to find space. There's even a dedicated camping area for people who arrive by the Burner Express.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 am

We were on the Playa for 9 days for our first burn and did not come close to seeing/doing everything.

Welcome to ePlaya!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

rawuk

Post by rawuk » Tue May 07, 2019 10:38 am

Skuzzy61 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 am
We were on the Playa for 9 days for our first burn and did not come close to seeing/doing everything.

Welcome to ePlaya!
Kelsier wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:54 am
Welcome!

Note that even if you arrived the moments the gate opened, there STILL won't be time to see and do everything.

Don't worry, you'll be able to find space. There's even a dedicated camping area for people who arrive by the Burner Express.
Thanks, and the dedicated area seems like it'll be handy.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue May 07, 2019 4:27 pm

rawuk wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am

You see, I come from a very restrictive area where art isn't really spoken about, because we don't live, only survive. A place where negativity is king, where we aren't encouraged to discover or express our emotions, and where we are ridiculed for stepping outside of our 'boxes' we are assigned at birth. A box which I've been trying to escape and burn for as long as I can remember, and over the past few years I've realised that the group I wanted to be apart of, my only escape, do not exist, because they shout about the things I hold dear, but label (box in) and attack those they see as being different to themselves as much as anyone from 'this side of the fence' where I've been forced to live on.
Wholly Fucking Woolly Mammoths! Dial 911 right away and flee!

If things are as dire as you describe, fuck Burning Man and get your shit resolved!

Get a backpack stocked and start walking West.

You are the last person that needs to be on the Playa.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Rawuk, where the hell are you from, Detroit? :shock:

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Post by Grumpy Otter » Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Token may be a little extreme in his statement, but he is likely right. You say you want to learn how to thrive spiritually and emotionally. Burning Man can have a spiritual and emotional impact, but I can’t say that it teaches you how to thrive with them. It is more like throwing you into the deep end of the pool to teach you how to swim.

Coming in late can give you a “feel” for the whole thing, but you spent the bulk of your post describing a need for much more than a “feel”. There is a disconnect between these statements. There are many opportunities for embracing new people and situations, but you have to really put yourself forward to do that. You have at least as likely an outcome of feeling isolated.

Make sure your expectations are realistic before you expend the resources, time and emotional freight of a journey “across the world to an inhospitable desert”.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue May 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

rawuk

Post by rawuk » Wed May 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Sham wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm
Grumpy Otter wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Token may be a little extreme in his statement, but he is likely right. You say you want to learn how to thrive spiritually and emotionally. Burning Man can have a spiritual and emotional impact, but I can’t say that it teaches you how to thrive with them. It is more like throwing you into the deep end of the pool to teach you how to swim.

Coming in late can give you a “feel” for the whole thing, but you spent the bulk of your post describing a need for much more than a “feel”. There is a disconnect between these statements. There are many opportunities for embracing new people and situations, but you have to really put yourself forward to do that. You have at least as likely an outcome of feeling isolated.

Make sure your expectations are realistic before you expend the resources, time and emotional freight of a journey “across the world to an inhospitable desert”.
Haha Sham, not from Detroit, but I imagine it has a similar vibe to here.

Also, I like your analogy Grumpy. This is what I'm after, the deep end. I need to encourage a new mindset I've never experienced before, because when I say 'learn to thrive' the only expectation is hoping for a foot in the door to being more spiritual and open, which in turn would help me on the path to getting 'my shit resolved.' So, in that sense, Burning Man is a beacon. Unless I'm reading too much into the 10 principles and the message that it's a cultural experience and not a festival?' Do you guys see it more as a cultural experience, a festival, or somewhere in between?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Sham wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm
Detroit Burners turn out okay. :lol:
Haha Sham, not from Detroit, but I imagine it has a similar vibe to here.

Also, I like your analogy Grumpy. This is what I'm after, the deep end. I need to encourage a new mindset I've never experienced before, because when I say 'learn to thrive' the only expectation is hoping for a foot in the door to being more spiritual and open, which in turn would help me on the path to getting 'my shit resolved.' So, in that sense, Burning Man is a beacon. Unless I'm reading too much into the 10 principles and the message that it's a cultural experience and not a festival?' Do you guys see it more as a cultural experience, a festival, or somewhere in between?
We all see it differently from one another. For some it's a festival, for some a cultural experience, for some a family reunion, and so on. We're just concerned you'll expect the event to enlighten you and cure you and blow your whole world wide open, and then be hurt, sad or disillusioned later on. It can leave a person depressed when too much is riding on a Burn.

So here's something you might benefit from doing: focus heavily on preparing for the physical and logistical parts of the trip, and wipe your expectations clean. Do not expect a spiritual awakening. (I'm serious!) It will ONLY help. When you're dressed for the elements, shaded, fed and hydrated, you are ready for all the possibilities.

(Took me 4 Burns to have one I consider life-changing.)

Welcome! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am

You realize you started a contest of guessing, right?
Hildale, Utah?
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri May 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Agaton wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 am
You realize you started a contest of guessing, right?
Hildale, Utah?
:lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”