First burn question about camp size

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Jeremy757jones
Burning Since: 2017

First burn question about camp size

Post by Jeremy757jones » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 am

I'm going to my first burn this year and was curious if a campsite this size is realistic. Image

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: First burn question about camp size

Post by lucky420 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:25 am

It's fine
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 am

Perfect size. You'll want some groundcover and maybe some lightweight shade to move from side to side.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 am

Be sure to anchor that shade structure securely. I had my 20' COSTCO car port roll through my yard in just a 20 MPH wind. Hasn't been the same since but now it has character. On Playa I used 2' rebar with 1" square tube welded to the end to attach ratchet straps. Worked well in the winds of 2015 although I was nervous. upon tear down I realized that it wasn't going anywhere as everything was still very secure.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 am

Size is not important.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 am

Great set up! I envy those who can get this much gear out there.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:17 am

Im going to try using lag screws instead of rebar. I used s them with ratchet straps in the back of the picture. I just need to track down a half dozen more.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 am

Leap wrote:Great set up! I envy those who can get this much gear out there.
I'm hauling this and much more all the way from Virginia.

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 am

Jeremy757jones wrote: I'm hauling this and much more all the way from Virginia.
I don't have the time to drive out from NJ so I am limited to a few bins I ship with the NYC container and what I can fly with. I am seriously considering getting a storage unit to keep my stuff out there. However I am going to keep it lean again this year before going all-in.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks to new burners like yourself for doing your research in advance!

From Virginia, you might look at shipping gear you don't need to camp along the way. There may be a http://regionals.burningman.org/ to help with shipping, or just use UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc. The main Burning Man website and past/future Jack Rabbit Speaks has info on local shopping. You can divide your packing list: bring by car, buy nearby, ship. Same for the return. There are specific donation projects, mainly in Reno outbound. They want very specific things though.

Some heavy webbing threaded through your vehicle wheels or the bumper can be a good ground anchor. The rooftop carrier, not so good.

You have an epic road trip ahead!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Again...make sure that puppy is securely guyed down....ratchet straps are good. We use 12" long bolts driven into the playa by air compressor-driven drills...which is not practical for everyone, but you get the idea of the importance of securing things. Every year we see poorly secured shelters cartwheeling thru the air...pretty, but very dangerous.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:18 pm

In this case, size doesn't matter. You'll be just fine.

I am a little concerned about that specific carport, though. It looks like it might be one of the cheaper models you find at Walmart/Pep Boys/etc, which are far less sturdy than the Costco carports you'll see referenced all over here.

In addition to guying it down like mad, I'd consider finding an appropriately-sized opaque tarp that will work to line the roof of the carport and fully block the sun. It'll make the shaded area noticeably cooler.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 am

Unlike those Costco carports a lot of those kinds of carports are held together by gravity and the stretch of the canopy, not spring-loaded snaps at the joints. They need ratchet straps or something else to keep everything together if not set up in a calm park-like setting.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jeremy757jones

Post by Jeremy757jones » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:36 am

In the background you can see the green ratchet straps I used with lag screws to the ground. I plan on doing the same Thing in the front when I get more straps. Plus I'm going to duct tape all the joints together once in on the playa. Image

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:03 am

We have heavy old Sam's Club carports, from 2003. No spring-loaded snaps at the joints, just the top tarp and our X ropes holding them down. Ours have eight legs on a twenty foot length, that carport looks a bit smaller. I'm betting much lighter too. The duct tape might be useful indeed.

We run lengths of fabric under the white roof tarp, although our roof is flat because we tilt the carport. But something over or under that white canopy will make for a cooler daytime space.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:08 am

AntiM wrote:We have heavy old Sam's Club carports, from 2003. No spring-loaded snaps at the joints, just the top tarp and our X ropes holding them down. Ours have eight legs on a twenty foot length, that carport looks a bit smaller. I'm betting much lighter too. The duct tape might be useful indeed.

We run lengths of fabric under the white roof tarp, although our roof is flat because we tilt the carport. But something over or under that white canopy will make for a cooler daytime space.
That's a 10x20 since the footprint of the kodiak is 10x10.

Given the 6 legs instead of 8, maybe use shade cloth or aluminet (something porous) for the side walls so there is less wind stress on the frame.
Sic Semper Spectatores

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 am

gaminwench wrote:Size is not important.
After a certain point no. But you do need adequate penetration and the ribbed sides make up for length.

Are we still talking rebar?

I've read the extensive threads about lag bolts & I don't doubt how good they are but to be honest I have never had a problem with rebar & my hammer & vice grip have never failed me. All 8 legs get a rebar & I use a few more for the X strapping. The price is right too.

But I know that there are lag bolt purists that would beg to differ.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 am

I use rebar. Hammer and pipe wrench. For putting in the straight pieces i have a short pipe with a cap screwed onto it. Works magic when trying to hit a piece of wiggling rebar exactly on the top.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 am

Switched to lag bolts, and never going back. Just so much faster to drill and undrill if you've got a lot to do.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Leap

Post by Leap » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

I noticed and kinda loved how my rebar-school camp mates stopped to watch me drill in my lag screws.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Leap wrote:I noticed and kinda loved how my rebar-school camp mates stopped to watch me drill in my lag screws.
Any excuse to stand up and soothe that aching back!

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 pm

I still bring rebar and sledge as a backup plan. I consider the lag screws to be a very nice-to-have anchoring system, but I treat it like cloud-based internet services; one failure in the chain of equipment needed to install them and it's no longer an option.

Lag screws are great and I use them, but the only way to make rebar non-functional is forgetting it at home.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Germy, I've used that exact carport, against some advice and my own better judgement, and it was fine with the rachet straps and duct-tape joints as you've mentioned. Even in gusty winds 2015-16 it was ok. Plan to check and adjust straps daily. A side wall tarp is not a bad idea, and blocking the predominant wind direction with your vehicles. The legs will dig into the Playa if you don't put little foot covers on them. We also put a straight rebar post at each corner of the carport, pound it in about 18" and leave 18" exposed, and wrap the rebar and leg of the carport with plenty of duct tape. Sounds janky but it works well.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:I've read the extensive threads about lag bolts & I don't doubt how good they are but to be honest I have never had a problem with rebar & my hammer & vice grip have never failed me. All 8 legs get a rebar & I use a few more for the X strapping. The price is right too.

But I know that there are lag bolt purists that would beg to differ.
I used that for two years and there were no problems at all. Even had made some nice feet that the carport was bolted to that had holes in them so that I could pound the hook-shaped rebar through the holes to hold the feet in place. Worked nicely.

The main reason I like lag bolts now is that you can drill them in without any problem. It saves me having to whack those things into place with a sledgehammer. The rebar I was using was 5/8" so it took a little more effort to get into the playa, even if it was really secure.

Even with the semi-broken impact driver I had this year it was still easier to use the socket wrentch on the lagbolts than it was pounding in that rebar.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:15 am

Leap wrote:I noticed and kinda loved how my rebar-school camp mates stopped to watch me drill in my lag screws.

So what you're saying is they had envy for your 14" hardware?

I can see that.

Leap

Post by Leap » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:So what you're saying is they had envy for your 14" hardware?

I can see that.
Yes, but I admit the performance didn't last long.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:19 am

Leap wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:So what you're saying is they had envy for your 14" hardware?

I can see that.
Yes, but I admit the performance didn't last long.
That's all part of the plan. Get you're screwing done right away so you have more time to Burn :-)

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”