Afraid...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Afraid...

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:56 am

Hello,

So my girlfriend is going to Burning Man next year. I am a bit of sceptic about the whole Burning Man concept...etc.

What should i expect from her..? I don't know, i just feel a vibe there will be loads of sex involved, cheating whatever..

I have seen some videos, read some information about the burning man. And it kind of frightens me.

Regards!

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29381
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:03 am

well, yeah.......see......uh, *cough, choke*...........someone else do it, I just can't start..........or, don't know where to start.

snarkomatic set to low
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Dr Helix
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe
Location: Hayward, CA

Post by Dr Helix » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:15 am

It's over Johnny. She'll disappear in a sea of drugs and sex, with you on the outside looking in. Cut the kibble now friend, and and accept the inevitable
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post by TomServo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 am

Did she ask you to go with her?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:45 am

[quote]"Dr Helix"]It's over Johnny. She'll disappear in a sea of drugs and sex, with you on the outside looking in. Cut the kibble now friend, and and accept the inevitable[/quote]

Ehh..? :?

[quote]"TomServo"]Did she ask you to go with her?[/quote]

Yes she did. But i dont intend on going. She is going with her best male friend, and some girlfriends.

User avatar
gaminwench
Posts: 2902
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge
Location: Shangri-la

Post by gaminwench » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:49 am

If there is a lack of trust in your relationship, Burning Man won't fix it...

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:53 am

If you guys are on a different mental plane already which it sounds like you are, prepare for her to be out in deep space when she gets back.

Why don't you intend on going? Sounds like you guys have deeper issues than just Burning man.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:56 am

Well okay there might be some slight trust issues from my side. But seeing/hearing people talk about Burning Man changes your relationship frightens me.

The fact girls walk naked there, drugs being involved..is just well not my cup of tea.

And i wont attend because the costs are to high, and the party isnt my cup of tea :roll:

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Yup. Lots of drugs, naked people, radical self expression, and freakish style intense partying. Lots of it. Not even being facetious, but totally honest.

Bottom line is that if that's something that your girl is down with and is drawn to and you are repulsed by it, than you guys don't have much of a future together. Better to cut the cord now and move on.

Speaking from being the one that is always in your girlfriends position..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

DesertRat
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:14 pm
Location: beatty, nevada

Post by DesertRat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:07 pm

junglesmacks wrote: Sounds like you guys have deeper issues than just Burning man.
Truth.

She gave you a shot at going and experiencing BM with her. You declined. Now you're afraid of what she'll do or how your relationship might change? It's all on you, my friend.

You could, ya know, suck it up and go even if it's not your "cup of tea." Do something she wants to do and be bloody cheerful and positive about it while you're there? Just a thought.

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:16 pm

[quote="DesertRat"][quote="junglesmacks"] Sounds like you guys have deeper issues than just Burning man.[/quote]

Truth.

She gave you a shot at going and experiencing BM with her. You declined. Now you're afraid of what she'll do or how your relationship might change? It's all on you, my friend.

You could, ya know, suck it up and go even if it's not your "cup of tea." Do something she wants to do and be bloody cheerful and positive about it while you're there? Just a thought.[/quote]

I could, but i won't.

I want my girl to have fun, that's not the problem. She goes partying with girlfriends, and goes on holidays with friends. But i see Burning Man as something...totally different, i don't know why. But i think my main reason is i am afraid she will cheat on me.....100 degrees out there, drugs, loads of naked people. Temptation is right around the corner..and with me not around.

And no i am not insecure. I am just getting information :roll: what to expect if my girl is going...because some of the stories ARE intense.

User avatar
phil
Posts: 2936
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Codgerville

Post by phil » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 pm

isis_1990 wrote:I want my girl to have fun, that's not the problem. She goes partying with girlfriends, and goes on holidays with friends. But i see Burning Man as something...totally different, i don't know why.
You've never been. You're projecting your own fears and doubts on an event that you know nothing about. It's not the event that's the problem.
isis_1990 wrote:But i think my main reason is i am afraid she will cheat on me.....100 degrees out there, drugs, loads of naked people. Temptation is right around the corner..and with me not around.
There's the problem: You're afraid she'll cheat on you.
isis_1990 wrote:And no i am not insecure. I am just getting information :roll: what to expect if my girl is going...because some of the stories ARE intense.
Okay, so you _are_ insecure. That's the first step in dealing with this. Here's my suggestion. Don't ask here about your fears. We'll just play upon them and darken your future. Talk to your girlfriend about your insecurities. Tell her that you're insecure about her going because you're afraid she'll cheat on you. Tell her naked people freak you out and the thought of her going naked _really_ freaks you out. Have some meaningful communication with her; you're not going to get any here.

And what's this :roll: stuff?

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:38 pm

[quote="phil"][quote="isis_1990"]I want my girl to have fun, that's not the problem. She goes partying with girlfriends, and goes on holidays with friends. But i see Burning Man as something...totally different, i don't know why.[/quote]

You've never been. You're projecting your own fears and doubts on an event that you know nothing about. It's not the event that's the problem.

[quote="isis_1990"]But i think my main reason is i am afraid she will cheat on me.....100 degrees out there, drugs, loads of naked people. Temptation is right around the corner..and with me not around.[/quote]

There's the problem: You're afraid she'll cheat on you.

[quote="isis_1990"]And no i am not insecure. I am just getting information :roll: what to expect if my girl is going...because some of the stories ARE intense.[/quote]

Okay, so you _are_ insecure. That's the first step in dealing with this. Here's my suggestion. Don't ask here about your fears. We'll just play upon them and darken your future. Talk to your girlfriend about your insecurities. Tell her that you're insecure about her going because you're afraid she'll cheat on you. Tell her naked people freak you out and the thought of her going naked _really_ freaks you out. Have some meaningful communication with her; you're not going to get any here.

And what's this :roll: stuff?[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

I already talked to her about it. I told her i was afraid of her going to cheat on me etc. But that doesn't really hold her back from not going.

Come on, i can't be the only one for not dissagreeing my girlfriend for not going?

Anyway that roll stuff...isn't that a smily? Or ain't it working lol...i don't think my quotes are working as well....meh.

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9348
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:44 pm

isis_1990 wrote:I could, but i won't.
I've been in a relationship for 24 years, and this pretty much sums everything up for me. She invited you, you won't go. I would suggest either some serious couples counseling or giving this relationship up. There is no future for it with this attitude, and Burning Man will be the least of your problems.

Do the things you're stressing about happen? Yep, but other than nudity being more accepted they all exist in any major city. You're focusing on them because they worry you; you seem to only be able to see the "negative" side of the event (from your viewpoint) without seeing all the beauty that's there.

Your quotes & smileys aren't working because you don't have them enabled. Go to your profile & uncheck all the the boxes that say "disable"
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Sounds to me like you and your girlfriend don't have as much in common as you think you do. Her going to burning man and you staying home will just magnify those differences. Where that leads will be any body's guess; but I think you have reason to worry.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Eric wrote:
isis_1990 wrote:I could, but i won't.
I've been in a relationship for 24 years, and this pretty much sums everything up for me. She invited you, you won't go. I would suggest either some serious couples counseling or giving this relationship up. There is no future for it with this attitude, and Burning Man will be the least of your problems.

Do the things you're stressing about happen? Yep, but other than nudity being more accepted they all exist in any major city. You're focusing on them because they worry you; you seem to only be able to see the "negative" side of the event (from your viewpoint) without seeing all the beauty that's there.

Your quotes & smileys aren't working because you don't have them enabled. Go to your profile & uncheck all the the boxes that say "disable"
That sums everything up for you? Why is that. I can't go because it's not my taste...and i don't have the money for it.

Other then that. I do stress..because indeed, i can only see the negative sides.

Now that she is going, she won't be able to have alott of money to spent on other things, like going away with me...that bothers me as well.

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:06 pm

jkisha wrote:Sounds to me like you and your girlfriend don't have as much in common as you think you do. Her going to burning man and you staying home will just magnify those differences. Where that leads will be any body's guess; but I think you have reason to worry.

JK
Opposites attract right...

Why would it magnify those differences?

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:16 pm

isis_1990 wrote:
jkisha wrote:Sounds to me like you and your girlfriend don't have as much in common as you think you do. Her going to burning man and you staying home will just magnify those differences. Where that leads will be any body's guess; but I think you have reason to worry.

JK
Opposites attract right...

Why would it magnify those differences?
That would be as hard for me to try and explain as it is for you to understand Burning man without going. This is a pretty telling comment to me as well...
Now that she is going, she won't be able to have alott of money to spent on other things, like going away with me...that bothers me as well.
Sounds like you expect her to do the things you like without you being willing to try the things she likes. Would you have enough money to go with her to BM if you sacrificed going away to where ever it is that you are planning on going?

The more I hear you say, the more I feel the two of you might be breaking up...and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you report back that you broke up before she even goes to BM.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:19 pm

jkisha wrote:
isis_1990 wrote:
jkisha wrote:Sounds to me like you and your girlfriend don't have as much in common as you think you do. Her going to burning man and you staying home will just magnify those differences. Where that leads will be any body's guess; but I think you have reason to worry.

JK
Opposites attract right...

Why would it magnify those differences?
That would be as hard for me to try and explain as it is for you to understand Burning man without going. This is a pretty telling comment to me as well...
Now that she is going, she won't be able to have alott of money to spent on other things, like going away with me...that bothers me as well.
Sounds like you expect her to do the things you like without you being willing to try the things she likes. Would you have enough money to go with her to BM if you sacrificed going away to where ever it is that you are planning on going?

The more I hear you say, the more I feel the two of you might be breaking up...and I wouldn't be surprised to hear you report back that you broke up before she even goes to BM.

JK
I kind of meant, we wouldn't even be able to have a nice day off going to the bar, going out, or even going to a city to shop. She would have to save ALL her money just for the festival, and wouldn't even be able to buy cigarettes as a matter of speaking..

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20180
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Post by AntiM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Burning Man is more than a giant naked party, and that seems to be all you can see. Burning Man gets under your skin and into your soul, freedom, love, trust, freedom of expression. If she gets the event like those of us here do, it will be all-consuming forever after. Your petty fears about cheating and not having the money to spend on time with you will seem like prison bars to her. If she does not go naked, do drugs, or cheat, she still will feel like you are holding her back from her life as a burner. Because this is rarely a one time deal. I've got ten years under my belt. When I wear one.

What is "your cup of tea"? Perhaps it is out there after all.

isis_1990
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

Post by isis_1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm

AntiM wrote:Burning Man is more than a giant naked party, and that seems to be all you can see. Burning Man gets under your skin and into your soul, freedom, love, trust, freedom of expression. If she gets the event like those of us here do, it will be all-consuming forever after. Your petty fears about cheating and not having the money to spend on time with you will seem like prison bars to her. If she does not go naked, do drugs, or cheat, she still will feel like you are holding her back from her life as a burner. Because this is rarely a one time deal. I've got ten years under my belt. When I wear one.

What is "your cup of tea"? Perhaps it is out there after all.
I never ever want her to feel like a prisoner. And she knows that. Because we talked about that, and she had that with her ex boyfriends...but not with me. We let each other free in everything we do..

..but somehow i see this as an exception.

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post by TomServo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Don't believe everything you read...or hear, about Burning Man. I have yet to meet a burner that can explain it to non burners...and have it make sense. You're allowing your fear of the event...probably unfounded... get between you and your girlfriend. She gave you the opportunity to go. Forget the cost! If anything is endangering your relationship, its your paranoia, of something, you know nothing about!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
Miles
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Post by Miles » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 pm

SHES GONNA FUCK EVERYBODY
I like bikes and stuff

User avatar
Sail Man
Posts: 4523
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 am
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious
Location: 20 Minutes into the Future

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:04 pm

ygmir wrote:well, yeah.......see......uh, *cough, choke*...........someone else do it, I just can't start..........or, don't know where to start.

snarkomatic set to low
Chicken :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.
_______________________________________

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

User avatar
motskyroonmatick
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair
Location: Aurora Oregon

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:26 pm

isis_1990 wrote:..but somehow i see this as an exception.
You might see this as an exception because she will be having a blast. I mean an incredible fucking fantastic mind blowing and changing time. Shit that kind of stuff would make me really fucking jealous if I had a girlfriend about to take that on. I sympathize with you man. I actually think your feelings are pretty normal. I think every relationship has it's cracks and dealing with the cracks in a positive and/or accepting way is how you stay together and build a relationship. If I could figure out how to do that I'd be in a relationship and a better man. So take what I write here as only my take on things. I'm no professional.

I think if she gets to a point where she has decided that cheating on you is not the worst thing in the world then burning man will probably only double the chance of that. If she is firm on not cheating on you then don't worry. Forget it. She is with you. As far as the nakedness goes I'd not worry about that either. (I assume nakedness is not a way of life for her and if it is then it is already no big deal) Nearly everybody at the burn is overly respectful of naked women. If she takes a 5 minute shower once every other day in front of camp mates then that is fairly normal and many times being naked to the world is a fantastic trade off for getting clean. There are more naked men at the burn than naked women in my estimation with the exception of the period of time where the critical tits bike ride is happening. If she goes topless for 20 hours at the burn then oh well. There are thousands of women who do that. It is a measure more of culture than anything else I think.

It seems to me you still have a great fondness for your girlfriend so if you really want to keep things going(and limit your chances of being cheated on which seems to be the highest priority) Start encouraging her. Help her plan and research. Figure out a way to become more comfortable with her going. Plan a trip with the guys when she is gone. Ask her male buddy to look out for her if she gets too intoxicated. Buy her a pack of smokes every once in a while. Save $ like hell so you can have that trip you want with her after the burn or before. Attain a Fuck Yeah attitude.
Be prepared for when she returns a changed person and be ready to get in lock step with her on the new ideas she has for life after the burn. The burn is really hard on couples. I wish you the best of luck.

My advice is just my gut reaction to what has been posted here. You will develop an idea of what is best. Don't be afraid to take on some relationship work. It can't do anything but help.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Post by Elderberry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Motsky, that sounds like good advice to me. It actually brought back memories of the first burn my partner went to without me, and I did almost exactly what you suggested.

Plus, I watched the live stream of the burn almost every minute I could, and helped clean up all the dust when he got back.

We have gone to every burn together since.

JK
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

User avatar
motskyroonmatick
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair
Location: Aurora Oregon

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks JK. That made my day. that and all the playa dust I got on me driving the golf cart around the yard today. :) :D
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

User avatar
maryanimal
Posts: 4030
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Affet reading all the great posts with advice-filled comments I can only say this...so what IS your cup of tea?? Are you afraid of not being in control? I'm sure you're a nice young man, but if there is no trust then you to have nothing. My boyfriend has been a burner for years. We met earlier this year and we've talked about burning man to all lengths. I read everything I could get my eyes on. I've listened to my bf tell me all about the experiences he's had over the years. I've read stories in here. I get the Jack Rabbit Speaks sent to me by email. I've seen video of fantastic art, fun-loving people, happiness and commaraderie. I've look at videos of the Temple, and I get choked up thinking about all the things and people including myself, who will say goodbye to lost friends, family or beloved pets. But what a great monument it is for us to able to grieve and finally let go.

It can be hard on relationships. My bf went this year and I had to trust him and I did. I'm a virgin burner and can't wait to go next year. And as far as nudeness, I'm a nudist so nakedness won't bother me. It did the first time I went to a nudist resort, but the I thought that is only our bodies in their natural state. That's all.

If your girlfriend does cheat on you that could mean you aren't meant to be. You didn't say how long you've been together? Give some thought my friend and go. Life is so short not to experience something as huge as burning man. and I'm not talking about the size of the event...size doesn't matter..*choke* Did I say that out loud?? :mrgreen:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

User avatar
Isotopia
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Post by Isotopia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:43 pm

The fact that the Op uses the word 'afraid' as the title to his/her post suggests to me that maybe they should wait a few years to come before they trust any of us to becalm their anxiety.

Seriously, don't come.

Just don't.

User avatar
Isotopia
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:26 am

Post by Isotopia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Now shoo.

Post Reply

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”