Which of the 10 principles needs tweeking?

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
Sham

Which of the 10 principles needs tweeking?

Post by Sham » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm

https://burningman.org/culture/philosop ... rinciples/
This should be the ones most shunned, overlooked or ignored. You know---the ones that need some reinforcing!

The 10 Principles of Burning Man

Burning Man co-founder Larry Harvey wrote the Ten Principles in 2004 as guidelines for the newly-formed Regional Network. They were crafted not as a dictate of how people should be and act, but as a reflection of the community’s ethos and culture as it had organically developed since the event’s inception.

Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

Radical Self-expression
Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

Communal Effort
Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

Civic Responsibility
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

Leaving No Trace
Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

Participation
Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

Immediacy
Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Re: Which of the 10 principles needs tweeking?

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Radical inclusion -- sending camps away for beeing not inline with these rules.

Decommodification -- using support from commercial brands to use the internet . . .

Radical Self-reliance -- with enough rules to prevent obvious dangers . . .

Leaving No Trace -- Carbon dioxide, some bicycles, tents fridges and couches Terabytes online

Immediacy -- Even years after the event stories, images, books and movies show up.

Sorry, should build instead of break down :/
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm

No tweeks needed.

Someone in charge just needs to give a fuck.

I think we reached the step after denial so maybe MM will figure it out.

She took a swing and it’s a strike.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am

The Immediacy Principle seems to be the one that most bugs me.

Since most everyone feels the need to carry a cell phone---even though they don't work 98% of the time during the week, but they can be used as a camera. This helps explain why there are thousands of them lost during the week and desperate people spend a disproportionate amount of time looking for them at the Lost and Found.

I digress. Each year I bring around 400 beautiful, laser cut medallions with the Burning Man symbol, put on lanyards as necklaces. Any type of interaction I have with people will usually get them on of these cool pieces of jewelry. So many people over the last few years seem to be bustling to go someplace and won't even attempt to make eye contact. No matter how hard I tried, I was only able to pass out around 125 of these necklaces.

Next, I bring dozens of bike locks for those who forgot to bring them. I stand on a busy corner and try to spot bike without locks. Trying to get the attention of someone without a lock is about the same as a person in a mall trying to stop you to sell you perfume. There is zero acknowledgment. A FREE lock and they can't be bothered to turn their head. (is it wrong to secretly hope they lose their bike?)

The whole understanding of Burning Man is being diluted to the point of turning it into Disney World or a bucket list check off.

This of course is not everyone, but there needs to be some serious education for the first timers coming in. It's ok to interact with someone who's not already on your smartphone. It's ok to stop and watch a performance that you weren't expecting to see. It's ok to hop on an artcar and travel with some new friends and not be exactly sure where you're going to end up.

Mufasa67
Camp Name: Baconeers

Post by Mufasa67 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Civic Responsibility
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws. ***add*** Any physical contact should always only be initiated after the contactee have given their clear consent regardless of their state of dress or other circumstances.
Ranger Mufasa

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I would add

11. Consent
Make eye contact. If you are not really really good at reading nonverbal communication, ask. A thoughtful complement and wait for the response are a useful part of the conversation.

12. Anonymity
Anonymity in the outside world is scarce. You can be anonymous at the event by not sending any outgoing social media for the week and immediately pre-. You can send those photos out after the event, on your birthday, new years day, solar holidays, etc. If you have to have bodyguards, make them invisible and teach them how to act burner.

A common introduction to a stranger in the outside world is what do you do for a living? At BM, it's what are your creative projects, what drew you to the event, what are your dreams, what experiences have you had here? It's all about open ended questions, not figuring out one another's social position or wealth. Those are all open-ended questions, ethnographers love that. If it makes sense to keep in contact with them, you can figure out the rest later off playa.

With the principles, there could be corollaries. There probably could be more do & don't discussion, because some people have some strange ideas on interpretation. We need to work hard training up new burners, and shaping behavior on playa and on line.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Sham wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am
There is zero acknowledgment. A FREE lock and they can't be bothered to turn their head. (is it wrong to secretly hope they lose their bike?)
One of the WORST of default world realities that can shade our burn is "No good deed goes unpunished."

I've gifted various really cool things and EXPECT ambivalence, from some but I know, that at some point, a recipient will be thrilled to their core and show it.

There is also the optimistic (I know, LOL) view that those gifted who are totally freaked out by the gift might play it forward some day....

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 am

The so-called ten principles are fine.
What needs tweaking is people heeding a few of ‘em, mostly radical self reliance.
No commerce needs a little more attention too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:51 pm

The principles are fine. What is needed is for the people to read and follow them. Too many clueless peeps!

Radical self reliance! Bring your own water, shade and toilet paper! Set up your own camp! Clean up your mess!
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm

LNT needs more emphasis on CO2 emissions; we can't see the air but we still face consequences for MOOPing it. Pop a couple of solar panels off your house and bring them to the burn. See about the best ways to save gas on your trip and save carbon emissions and $ as a bonus. The playa is swimming in resources in the form of sunlight, dry air, and some wind. All it takes is a smidge of willingness to work with what's there and unplug from our default systems; this is the funnest part of my burn. And what better place to experience a paradigm shift than at Burning Man?!

Deommodification seems to be the root issue around our cultural woes. It's rare to find a place where money is not the principle currency of life. Where else can you hop offline? Where else can you live in not in a marketplace but rather a community? Deommodification is the most luxurious thing I've known because it brings comfort to my mind even when the physical environment is a 'character building experience'.

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:02 am

Sham wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am
The Immediacy Principle seems to be the one that most bugs me.

Since most everyone feels the need to carry a cell phone---even though they don't work 98% of the time during the week, but they can be used as a camera. This helps explain why there are thousands of them lost during the week and desperate people spend a disproportionate amount of time looking for them at the Lost and Found.
I agree Sham, and feel that the need to "brag" on social media has been the event's undoing. Being disconnected from the default world and its people allows us to get out of our heads and really live the dream for a week. Why do people want to ruin it by dragging themselves out of the zone and back into defaultia?

While it is nice to be able to check in from the event if you have a pending family emergency or something, I think that keeping in touch otherwise takes you out of the moment. "You're doing it wrong!"

In the earlier days, there were videos of kickass happenings from Bman on youtoobe, but they were just there.... They were some videos of happenings like the burn or some dangerous fire art..... Those purposely witty videos that somebody decided to do knowing it would go viral, I think was the first coffin nail to our fragile ecosystem of synergy.

Facebook, Media, Twitter, Instagram - everybody knows about Fight Club and they all want in. (I know, it was better last year and there's people here with other perspectives that the decline began much much sooner....)

The "bucket list" mentality ensures that the proof of our collective whiskey will continue to be diluted - and it only took a few years for this to have a major effect on the vibe.

We used to have to tag cameras so that folks new the rules of engagement before they could get the tag and request permission to photograph. Now pictures are taken without permission and shared TO THE WORLD with no thought what that exposure could be doing to every one else's Burn. And who cares, right? So long as I get my picture and witty quip on instagram.

Is it possible to somehow secretly "jam" the airwaves to make it more difficult to connect to defaultia?

Kind of water over the dam at this point, levee fully broken..... I think when the principles were written they did a fairly good job of capturing the ideas, but it's clear that most people don't want to have to work that hard and show any kind of restraint/patience to wait for the magic to happen.... they want their magic and when do they want it? Right Fucking Now. But I don't think that is the definition of immediacy.

CM

mournlight
Burning Since: 2010

Post by mournlight » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 am

The phone is my pet peeve, too. Not that I never take a photograph - I usually get out a camera for about half a day, take some pics, and leave it packed up the rest of the time. But, I am seeing soooo many people who are participating with their camera and not with anyone or anything else. Selfies in front of this and that, "I'm so cool, look at me!" it seems to scream. Meanwhile, the person right beside them is offering something totally engaging and they are so self-absorbed they don't even notice. Additionally, the usage of the phones IS SUPPORTING so much commerce. So much! It's bring revenue to youtube, Instagram, facebook, etc. I wish there was still no signal except for those sneaky spaces that people find out about when they have a true emergency. My dad got his first feedback regarding cancer treatment during last yrs build week, and I admit it was nice to send/receive one text to hear that it was okay so it wasn't on my mind the rest of the burn. But it has become unreasonable, in my opinion. And I agree with whoever said people spend too much time looking for lost phones.
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 am

^^ +1000, the last two posts about phones
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Token

Post by Token » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:11 pm

I’ve been 10 years.

I have a half dozen photos I’ve personally taken.

It’s a choice.

Some just can’t help themselves.

capnjonny
Camp Name: Cap'n Jonny's Outer Rim Tea Room

Post by capnjonny » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:42 am

And I thought I was the only one who thought cell phone use was counter to Burning culture.

Add E bikes to that list. I actually took one (in addition to my regular playa bike ) to the event last year. It was a gift to me from the Bike Exchange where I volunteer that I repaired and I wanted to try it out on playa thinking it would allow me to see more of the city . It turned out to be a hassle to charge , practically impossible to ride at the 5 mph speed limit, and no more useful than my trusty Trek mtn bike. It was sold ( proceeds to the Bike Exchange) .

I also became aware of other e bikers and was conscious of them constantly ignoring the speed limit and their often air of entitlement "Look at my shiny $2000 fat tire E bike and drool , peasants"

There needs to be much more and frequent education regarding littering and waste cleanup. My first burn I took the self reliance mantra completely to heart, removing all paper and plastic disposable packaging from my food and vacuum sealing all trash. I took sponge baths using Home Depot Terry shop towels and a few ounces of water creating only about 2 quarts of grey water in a 5 gal. plastic paint bucket to be taken home and emptied into my garden, and a couple dozen dirty rags that were washed at home and re used.

Doing all that was not hard. It was actually fun. I felt like I was doing it right. Then I went to the porta a potties and saw that someone had thrown their empty beer can into the urinal.

I know that there are some folks that will never "get it". I am also confident that a enhanced Education" program by the Borg that is frequent and forcefull can have a positive effect. I see no reason why there should be trash strewn around the playa or the side of the highway after the event.

capnjonny
Camp Name: Cap'n Jonny's Outer Rim Tea Room

Post by capnjonny » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm

This will be my forth burn. I guess I am not really a newbie any more but I am definitely not an old hand yet either.

There A few ways I try to adhere to the 10 principles that I think can go a long way to ensuring that this event can continue to exist and get even better.

Please, do everything you can to remove extraneous packaging from your food and gear before coming to the plya. The more moop you leave home the less there is to pick up off the playa.

Remove all disposable packaging from food stuffs and put it in plastic storage bags which take up very little space when empty and can be taken home and re used.

Learn to give yourself a sponge bath. You will stay clean and use very little water in the process. I bring a bag of white Home Depot shop towels , a small basin, and a 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid. Every day , sometimes twice, I take about 1 cup of water and put it in the basin, soak the towel in it, wring it out , and use the towel to wipe the dirt off my body. soak the dirty towel in the water again and wring it out. Set this towel aside. pour dirty water in bucket. Put 1 cup clean water in basin. Get 2nd towel and soak in water and wring it out. Use this towel to wash body second time. soak semi dirty towel in water and wring it out. Pour dirty water in bucket . Hang towels out to dry.

For the next "bath" use the rinse towel for your first wipe down and get out a new clean towel for your rinse.

You will be using one towel and 2 cups of water per "bath" and will stay pretty clean all week.

One final thing I do is to drape the dirty towels I am no longer using over the edge of the bucket with one end in the dirty water. This will wick water up into the towels and dry up a good portion of the dirty water.

At the end of the event , put all the dirty towels into the bucket and put on the lid . When you get home pour out a little bit of Playa on your garden and put the rags in the wash to reuse later.

If you are modest bring an oversized t shirt with you and you can do your ablutions under the shirt.

Volunteer.
sign up to help build an art project. Sign up to work on gate or one of a large number departments within the ORG. Not only will you be a maker instead of a taker but you may find yourself with a Golden Ticket .

Civic responsibility
Try not to stick your finger in the eye of Law Enforcement. We need them to be our friends , or , at least, not our enemy.
Remember, any city of 70,000 people needs rules and regulations in order to function. Ours is no exception. Play safe, Play nice, (the first rule of the playground) and don't shit in your own bed. (if you didn't know, there are quite a few folks that think the playa is a public toilet). If you can't hold your water bring a Pee bottle with you when you head out on the playa. That is what I do.

Leave no trace
Don't bring moop to the playa and you won't have to take it home with you. Take your trash (what little there will be if you follow the suggestions above) ALL the way home. Don't "GIFT" it to someone or some place on the way home. Last year I took less than one grocery bag full of trash and a half full 5 gallon bucket of dirty wash water and rags home after spending 2 weeks on playa. See if you can beat my example.

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:12 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:24 pm
12. Anonymity
Anonymity in the outside world is scarce. You can be anonymous at the event by not sending any outgoing social media for the week and immediately pre-. You can send those photos out after the event, on your birthday, new years day, solar holidays, etc. If you have to have bodyguards, make them invisible and teach them how to act burner.
Honestly, people need to start being blacklisted for violating the media policy. If you're shooting photos on the playa, you need to be press, otherwise fuck off with the camera and let people have their fun without wondering if they're going to land on /r/festivalsluts or tagged by facebook's facial recognition for their family and coworkers to see.

You want to see that problem solved in a year? Make photo passes mandatory, and throw a few people caught filming without them the fuck out. Not just 'knock it off', but 'pack your shit and split'.

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”