So who got hurt this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
DoriumLux

So who got hurt this year?

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Anything serious this year or not so serious but funny?

I heard that the slide was responsible for a couple broken bones and the dome with the crash pad had a participant that broke their femur.

lothos 1162

who got hurt

Post by lothos 1162 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm

19 injuries for people who fought un Thunderdome.Andy(Thunderdome Medic/Swag Whore)

Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Slide got me pretty good all over my body. :D

Frankenstipe

Post by Frankenstipe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:55 pm

My friend said he saw a water truck drive by with a guy who looked dead duct taped to the top. Of course he was also coming down off LSD. :roll:

trevkong

The Slide

Post by trevkong » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:53 pm

I think the official injury count for the slide was 50+? It was hilarious to watch the people at night, if you have ever seen penguins pushing eachother into the water to check for predators you know what im talking about. Drunk girls flying down 5 at a time smashing into eachother at the bottom faster than they could replace the squishy cubes.
http://facebook.com/trevkong

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Kenny Z wrote:Slide got me pretty good all over my body. :D
The slide was awesome! Too many people were coming off it bloody, I decided to be the official photographer for our group! LOL! I was already scraped up from missing my pedal the night before (still feeling that one).

Best thing I saw was a naked guy chasing after the water truck and did a total sliding faceplant once he hit the mud, friggen funny stuff! :wink:
Only his pride was bruised.

DoriumLux

Re: who got hurt

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 pm

lothos 1162 wrote:19 injuries for people who fought un Thunderdome.Andy(Thunderdome Medic/Swag Whore)
Anything interesting?

I twisted my ankle fighting in the dome on Friday night but recovered several days later. I wondering how many injuries are discovered the day after when the adrenaline wears off. The friend I fought woke up with a dried blood from his nose and a bad bruise his chest the following morning from our fight.

oldsoul

Post by oldsoul » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 pm

I have a little rug burn from the slide, nothing major. A friend of ours broke his elbow as he tripped getting off an art car on Friday night. He drove down to the hospital in Reno Saturday morning and was back in time for the Burn. What a trooper!

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Oh, I also worked with someone last week who's wife was given a third degree burn on her face by the GigsVille Car-B-Que when a canister that was thrown in the fire exploded and shrapnel hit her in the face.

It reminded me of the woman who posted a year or so ago about a piece of a canister that flew out of a fire pit and hit her in the eye and caused blindness and perpetual migraines. Three nights before I saw them throwing canisters of spray oil and other aerosol type cans in. I jetted after remembering the woman who had lost her sight. Glad I didn't stick around. It's too bad people don't put more thought into what they toss into fires. Explosions are fun to watch but not as fun when you loose your eye sight or scorch your body over it IMHO

Playaface

Post by Playaface » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:53 am

<--------Got hit by a drunk artcar operator! Goodtimes!
My sights based on movement, Hippies beware!

penrose

Post by penrose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:01 am

Spent a couple hours in the infirmary while my wife was brought back from dehydration and saw a slow but steady parade of slide injuries, mostly chicks in short shorts who'd had a layer of skin roughed off their bums. We thought it comical.

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:29 am

Friday noon there was a skydiving accident when someone's shute did not open all the way.
I didn't see the fall, but I saw a few ambulances, cops, rangers, sheriffs.... probably everyone was there.
I saw the diver walking to the ambulance by himself, so must not have been serious
There was a word about a second diver at the same time, but I know nothing about it

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 pm

I sprained my knee while trying to learn to ride a Segway. Apparently I am clumsier than G. W. Bush. Great.
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Genius says there was a dome which had gym mats and folks were climbing up and jumping. One guy missed the mats and shattered his femur. yikes.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Jiva wrote:I sprained my knee while trying to learn to ride a Segway. Apparently I am clumsier than G. W. Bush. Great.
Someone is clumsier then GW bush?!?!?

/chokes on the pretzel he's eating
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 pm

I smacked myself with my bo staff (an adversary could not have aimed a better blow than I gave myself) - no discernable fractures but the bruises are magnificent! No doubt the result of being very rusty combined with copious amounts of tequila......
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

AntiM wrote:Genius says there was a dome which had gym mats and folks were climbing up and jumping. One guy missed the mats and shattered his femur. yikes.
If this was the dome at ~7:00 with the blacklight paint and blacklight array, we saw people climbing and hanging of of the top by their legs as we were biking out to deep playa. I jokingly said to my wife that we should wait a second to see the first person gack. Unfortunately, a few hours later as we were riding back to camp the scene was illuminated with ambulance lights and EMTs hard at work on a guy who fell from the very top... he tried to land on the mat but missed, and seemed to be horribly thrashed. If he only broke his femur he is lucky because we were thinking serious head/neck/back injury and/or death. Hope someone can confirm that he lived (!).
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:18 pm

I heard about somone dying from broken neck while in the helicopter on the way to Reno.

I can't confirm this and the source was a Ranger, and we all know that they can't be trusted for honest truth.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:06 am

I have a lot of scabby dry skin on my arms since BM. Does this count?

LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:24 am

[quote="DoriumLux"]Oh, I also worked with someone last week who's wife was given a third degree burn on her face by the GigsVille Car-B-Que when a canister that was thrown in the fire exploded and shrapnel hit her in the face.

It reminded me of the woman who posted a year or so ago about a piece of a canister that flew out of a fire pit and hit her in the eye and caused blindness and perpetual migraines. Three nights before I saw them throwing canisters of spray oil and other aerosol type cans in. I jetted after remembering the woman who had lost her sight. Glad I didn't stick around. It's too bad people don't put more thought into what they toss into fires. Explosions are fun to watch but not as fun when you loose your eye sight or scorch your body over it IMHO[/quote]

I will be remembering this....
"Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything." -Kurt Vonnegut

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 am

and folks...be wary of standing/ sitting/ walking to close to ANY, repeat ANY "DPW hosted fire".

110% garentee'd to blow something up in it at least every 10 seconds!

If it doesnt snap crackle and kaboom, they will make it do so!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:59 am

brcprincess wrote:I have a lot of scabby dry skin on my arms since BM. Does this count?
I think the hotel I stayed at on the way back had bedbugs--I have a lot of little welts on my torso that weren't there at the burn.
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

Zim

Post by Zim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:07 pm

I did but then I didn't, so you guys already knew that already.

Fuck, where's my fucking pocket already? I'm standing too close to the ground and there's nothing underneath me.
-[Z]-

countrybitch

separated shoulder

Post by countrybitch » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Mark Leigh of the Petting Zoo separated his shoulder when his bicycle chain broke. He's now lopsided and has a big bone sticking up on top of his shoulder.

He was in so much pain at BM that he left the playa, and on the way got popped at a speed trap, thrown in jail for "trafficking" (had one percoset in his pocket a friend had given him) and denied any meds, not even aspirin. He's now looking at a felony charge and jailtime. :cry:
Know any good lawyers?

get back to me at lisalupin@gmail.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Jiva wrote:
brcprincess wrote:I have a lot of scabby dry skin on my arms since BM. Does this count?
I think the hotel I stayed at on the way back had bedbugs--I have a lot of little welts on my torso that weren't there at the burn.
Oh crap. they can crawl into your luggage and then infest your home. Be carefull.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Cooky

Post by Cooky » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm

DoriumLux wrote:Oh, I also worked with someone last week who's wife was given a third degree burn on her face by the GigsVille Car-B-Que when a canister that was thrown in the fire exploded and shrapnel hit her in the face.
Hmm, I was camped next to the car-b-que this year and didn't see or hear about this incident. Did it occur this year or in a prior year?

BTW, there's a reason folks yell and listen for "Fire In the Hole" around the car-b-que. Gigs plays hard but they also attempt to alert those around them when they toss stuff in to the 'cue. If you hear it, take it seriously.

There's also a reason that there is a very large clear space around the car-b-que. I was extremely amused when some clueless newbies begged to camp there during the Sunday night land rush. "But dudes, you've got tons of space we can just squeeze our (brand new clearly rented luxury) RV right there..." They were firmly chased out before Darwin got their butts.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Playaface wrote:<--------Got hit by a drunk artcar operator! Goodtimes!

OMG your THAT guy

someone told me about you at bat country

good to know your ok now
I have post playa depression :(

Justintime

Broken femur

Post by Justintime » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:28 pm

I broke my femur at the dome this year, got a ride by helicopter to reno for surgery. I got a rod put in my leg with screws holding in place. The fall didnt hurt at all, probably looked horrible and I feel very lucky to even be alive. No other injuries and I even made it back friday night so I didnt miss the burn and left monday. I started a blog to show my recovery.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Broken femur

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Justintime wrote:I broke my femur at the dome this year, got a ride by helicopter to reno for surgery. I got a rod put in my leg with screws holding in place. The fall didnt hurt at all, probably looked horrible and I feel very lucky to even be alive. No other injuries and I even made it back friday night so I didnt miss the burn and left monday. I started a blog to show my recovery.
Dude!

eworms

Post by eworms » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Torn knee cartilage from too much dancing - stupid me - two months ago had knee surgery for the same - never will learn
may the Inspiration and Genius of Burning Man be carried into every moment of our lives

Return to “Stories”