Virgin burner from Delaware / Belgium.

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Unicorn1971
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Videogasm

Virgin burner from Delaware / Belgium.

Post by Unicorn1971 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Sandra. I live in Delaware. Born and raised in Belgium but moved with my parent to the USA at the age of 18.

My sister went for her first burn last year. I sadly couldn't go due to work obligations last year.
But this year!!!!! I can! I have been so excited sins November that i can take so time off work.

SO here I am. VIRGIN burner.

I have been reading and reading as much as I can online about burning man.
The 10 Principles of Burning Man, subscribed to The Jackrabbit Speaks, volunteer pages....
Can't forget pickle juicy! :) But I think as much as I tried to read it will still be a WOW!
I didn't know this or didn't prepare my self enough? So, still a little scared about what if i am not prepared enough?

So, any any help would be appreciate it.

BIG LONG HUG SANDRA
sandra
Virgin burner

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Virgin burner from Delaware / Belgium.

Post by Elderberry » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome Aboard.

It is normal to feel unprepared a bit. I've been going 17 years and we always forget something. We survive.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 am

Welcome aboard, Sandra!

If you fail to bring enough toothpaste, or whateveritmightbe.... no problem.

The preparation that matters most... is your mindset.
What little piece of your own wow do you foresee contributing... to making the event a WOW!?
:D

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Elderberry wrote:Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
Thank you JK!
I got my ticket this past Wednesday!!!!!
I AM GOING! WOOHOOOO!

See you at the playa!
sandra
Virgin burner

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:41 pm

AntiM wrote:Welcome Aboard.

It is normal to feel unprepared a bit. I've been going 17 years and we always forget something. We survive.

THANK YOU!
Big hug, Sandra
sandra
Virgin burner

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:51 pm

Elliot wrote:.
Welcome aboard, Sandra!

If you fail to bring enough toothpaste, or whateveritmightbe.... no problem.

The preparation that matters most... is your mindset.
What little piece of your own wow do you foresee contributing... to making the event a WOW!?
:D
Well,.... I can tell you this. Just reading and getting inspired about burning man my life has change a little the past 7 months.
I have a master degree in fashion design.
After giving birth to my son, divorce and taking a different turn in career, I forgot how much I enjoyed designing and making clothes.
I hope to wear some of my art piece I have been working on.
I also sign up for the temple guardians.

I am still finding my way.... and hope to bring my contributing to BM.
sandra
Virgin burner

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 pm

If you enjoy designing and making clothes you should enjoy this thread :lol: :wink:
viewtopic.php?t=530

I know I did. Thanks Ratty :D
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Hey, Sandra is back!
You had us worried there for a few weeks.

A Master's in clothing fashion design. Wow. I would not have guessed such a thing could exist -- any more than you might have guessed the same about... say... bicycle design. Of course... wonderful that the World is full of such varied interests.

And Burning Man is certainly a costume-oriented event (though we like to talk about "outfits", since even highly fanciful costumes are "everyday-wear" in Black Rock City).

By the way... I have been in contact with two other costume- and textile-art folks about BM and my camp, and a couple of my regular camp-members have even suggested we hold a lighthearted fashion show in our camp. Anything is possible in BRC.

If I may suggest... you go easy on commitments to Temple Guardians and anything else with a schedule... in your first year. It is rather easy to become over-committed and over-whelmed the first time around.

Carry on!

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Elliot wrote:Hey, Sandra is back!
You had us worried there for a few weeks.

A Master's in clothing fashion design. Wow. I would not have guessed such a thing could exist -- any more than you might have guessed the same about... say... bicycle design. Of course... wonderful that the World is full of such varied interests.

And Burning Man is certainly a costume-oriented event (though we like to talk about "outfits", since even highly fanciful costumes are "everyday-wear" in Black Rock City).

By the way... I have been in contact with two other costume- and textile-art folks about BM and my camp, and a couple of my regular camp-members have even suggested we hold a lighthearted fashion show in our camp. Anything is possible in BRC.

If I may suggest... you go easy on commitments to Temple Guardians and anything else with a schedule... in your first year. It is rather easy to become over-committed and over-whelmed the first time around.

Carry on!
Hi Elliot! Thank you for your comment and advice!

Hahaha! Who would a guessed such a thing could exist!
well, My daily job is at our family SHOE REPAIR shop.
YES! I fix shoes, boots and handbags for a living!
WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED that that still exist!
Not many of us left but I am one of them!
6 generation in the family business and proud of it!
(my hands get pretty dirty but it is ok)

Question if you don't mind......
My sister was at your bike camp a few times last year.

I have my bicycle fur out and ready ...almost?
I am concerned that I will get a flat tire quickly like my sister did last year on de playa.
Any suggestion before I go to burning man with my bicycle?

Thank you.
HUGS
sandra
Virgin burner

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 pm

It took me about five seconds to find this location on Google StreetView.

Right. There. Where GLØD Hår & Velvære is now (GLOW Hair & Well-being)... was the cobbler's shop -- easy walking distance from my childhood home on the outskirts of Oslo, Norway.

The building looks rather different -- but it was "some time" ago.

I will not claim I "can still smell the fresh leather", but close.

Sandra, I salute you.

Last time I needed shoe repair, we still had a professional of this honorable trade... in the second little town over from my home here in rural Northern California. But he was getting on in years, and I did not see an apprentice.

Have your bicycle looked over by someone knowledgeable, please.

My favorite preparation on any bicycle -- even some brand new ones -- is to install "Thorn Resistant" inner-tubes. Never mind the inevitable discussion of thorns on the Black Rock Playa. Thicker rubber of better quality is... thicker and better.

If the pedals are of plastic, replace them with all-metal ones. Even brand new ones, yes.

Please do not glue that fur over anything that may need servicing. It WILL need servicing.

If you would describe your bike, I may be able to give more specific suggestions.

More later. I have two neighborhood urchins clamoring for their bikes to be built / rebuilt.

"Those who will apply their hands, shall never go idle."

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for the great advice.
Took my bicycle to a bicycle shop and the guy was not so nice.
He said why would you want to change the inner tube it there is nothing wrong with it?
Try to explain it but i guess he didn't want my business?
so, Taking it to a other shop next week.

Thank you!

I tried load the picture of my bicycle but can get it to post with the [img] ???
Yucks. Any help? i will post picture of my bicycle.

HUGS sandra
sandra
Virgin burner

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:49 am

Go to attachment tab and see if you can upload your photo that way. The img is for pictures hosted on other sites.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:17 am

:shock:
Well, that's one bike shop I would never go near again!
This is a screen grab of what AntiM suggested. From there, you simply complete that process. The last step is to click on "Place inline". Then Submit as usual.

Attachments screen grab w arrows.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you!
File is too big. :(
Loading on internet will share this way.

THANKS!
AntiM wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:49 am
Go to attachment tab and see if you can upload your photo that way. The img is for pictures hosted on other sites.
sandra
Virgin burner

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Bike picture

Elliot wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:17 am
:shock:
Well, that's one bike shop I would never go near again!
This is a screen grab of what AntiM suggested. From there, you simply complete that process. The last step is to click on "Place inline". Then Submit as usual.

Attachments screen grab w arrows.jpg
sandra
Virgin burner

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Well THAT did work -- in the sense that clicking on the link did open the photo. Now, let's see about attaching it to this post...
fullsizeoutput_6196 800.jpg
I resized it to 800 pixels. Seems I remember that ePlaya should resize them automatically, but what do I know about computers!

So... we have a basic one-speed coaster-brake cruiser with one-piece crank, labeled Schwinn.
It is similar to the notorious Huffy Crankbroke, but may be slightly better for the importer (Pacific Cycle, owned by the Canadian Dorel Industries conglomerate) to slap the Schwinn name on it. (Schwinn no longer exists -- only the rights to the name.)

First thing I do with these is throw the fenders and the chain-cover under the bus. But you have decorated them, so give it a try.

I notice you have the handlebar turned up. That makes it awkward to hold the handlebar, but if you lower it, your knees will hit it. Yep... that back-swept handlebar is strictly for the fashionable looks. I replace it with a BMX bar.

That type of kickstand will need daily lubrication. Without lubrication, it will become so hard to move that you will damage it.
Also, it will sink in the ground, unless you put a tennis ball or some such on the tip.

After you arrive on Playa, pump up the tires to the number PSI listed on the sidewall of the tire. Check them daily, and do not let then get much lower.

The crank bearings are the worst part of the bike. You still have time -- have the crank bearings greased! and have the tech set the adjustment slightly on the loose side, to leave room for Dust.
If they still bind up, squirt WD-40 in there. Water will work, but then you have instant rust.

If the rear wheel is removed for repair, be sure the brake torque arm is reattached! Yes, it must be attached to the frame. Your fur stops right where this 4 inch long chrome piece is clamped to the frame on the left side.

Consider tilting the seat rearward a tad -- higher in front. That may seem counter-intuitive for comfort, but usually works better.

Avoid placing much weight in the basket up front. Weight there will make the steering awkward, and will make the bike tip off the kickstand rather easily.
A rear luggage rack with basket on the side works better.

How is that for starters? :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unicorn1971

Post by Unicorn1971 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 am

Wow! THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE!

Will try all the advice you gave me.

Taking it to a other bike shop this week for the inner tubes you told me the do too.

Let’s you know how that goes.

Big hug Sandra

Elliot wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 pm
Well THAT did work -- in the sense that clicking on the link did open the photo. Now, let's see about attaching it to this post...
fullsizeoutput_6196 800.jpg
I resized it to 800 pixels. Seems I remember that ePlaya should resize them automatically, but what do I know about computers!

So... we have a basic one-speed coaster-brake cruiser with one-piece crank, labeled Schwinn.
It is similar to the notorious Huffy Crankbroke, but may be slightly better for the importer (Pacific Cycle, owned by the Canadian Dorel Industries conglomerate) to slap the Schwinn name on it. (Schwinn no longer exists -- only the rights to the name.)

First thing I do with these is throw the fenders and the chain-cover under the bus. But you have decorated them, so give it a try.

I notice you have the handlebar turned up. That makes it awkward to hold the handlebar, but if you lower it, your knees will hit it. Yep... that back-swept handlebar is strictly for the fashionable looks. I replace it with a BMX bar.

That type of kickstand will need daily lubrication. Without lubrication, it will become so hard to move that you will damage it.
Also, it will sink in the ground, unless you put a tennis ball or some such on the tip.

After you arrive on Playa, pump up the tires to the number PSI listed on the sidewall of the tire. Check them daily, and do not let then get much lower.

The crank bearings are the worst part of the bike. You still have time -- have the crank bearings greased! and have the tech set the adjustment slightly on the loose side, to leave room for Dust.
If they still bind up, squirt WD-40 in there. Water will work, but then you have instant rust.

If the rear wheel is removed for repair, be sure the brake torque arm is reattached! Yes, it must be attached to the frame. Your fur stops right where this 4 inch long chrome piece is clamped to the frame on the left side.

Consider tilting the seat rearward a tad -- higher in front. That may seem counter-intuitive for comfort, but usually works better.

Avoid placing much weight in the basket up front. Weight there will make the steering awkward, and will make the bike tip off the kickstand rather easily.
A rear luggage rack with basket on the side works better.

How is that for starters? :wink:
sandra
Virgin burner

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Welcome, Unicorn! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”