Who's In...Who's Out?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Who's In...Who's Out?

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Meh, the scalpers were better last year.

As a couple of others have posted, do not feed the bears. Aside from providing reward to pro scalpers or burners who think it's okay to profiteer from the event, it's a risky venture. Burning Man reserves the right to cancel the sale and void the tickets and passes on any order that it believes was purchased with the intent to sell even one of those tickets or passes above face value. Kind of defeats the purpose of paying a premium price for peace of mind, doesn't it?

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:59 pm

out for now :( , will try Step and OMG sale . Last year was much better , was 20min late and still got in about 2 1/2 hrs later . This time got in and it wouldnt let me buy 2 tickets , kept redoing it ,should have switched to one ticket right away . oh well .
E-mailed the ticket support and me and my friend got the same e-mail saying sry .
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 pm

in. worked for me. about 15 minutes. I think psychologically the screen message and repeating countdown was easier to view than a humongous queue number position.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm

The only strange thing that happened was that my niece clicked on a minute after I did, but got her chance at tickets 15 minutes before I did. :?

We're set with tickets and passes! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Mohairs
Camp Name: Hushville 2013 & 2014

Post by Mohairs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The only strange thing that happened was that my niece clicked on a minute after I did, but got her chance at tickets 15 minutes before I did. :?

We're set with tickets and passes! 8)
yay!!!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Elorrum wrote:in. worked for me. about 15 minutes. I think psychologically the screen message and repeating countdown was easier to view than a humongous queue number position.
Woooooohoooooooo!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:16 pm

We are so in....now if I could just find a nice camp to terrorize this year.

Maybe one that is dying to have us hehe
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:
remi wrote:
-whetwillie- wrote: If there wasn't a registration, the market would be flooded tomorrow with thousand dollar tickets.
been on stub hub? the market was flooded with $1000 tickets an hour after the sale ended lol
Remember, on StubHub, the seller doesn't necessarily have tickets. If the ship date is Aug 25 like it was last year, the scalper is a) hoping someone chomps at the bit & pays, & b) expects to be able to get a ticket to sell at some later date. Sort of like short selling a stock. Post on StubHub don't mean scampers were able to game the system. Yet.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Based on reports from others, it seems like if you didn't get in within the first dozen seconds, you didn't get in. That's not a bitch about the system. On the contrary. It means that about 25K people hit the net in a tiny window, and the servers handled them all flawlessly. I still haven't heard of anyone saying the "system went down" with any conviction or proof. Yeah, some of our friends didn't get tickets, but the common thread (mostly) is they didn't get in the sale until a minute or two after it started.

Regardless if you got a ticket or not, this year seems to suggest the long, awful, painful, and fucked-up processes of yesteryear ticketing are finally done. YAY!!!!

Well done, TicketFly and BMORG!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm in. Was anticipating a long afternoon of counting backward from 30, but the whole process only took about 20 minutes.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Mohairs
Camp Name: Hushville 2013 & 2014

Post by Mohairs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

sadie wrote:I'm in. Was anticipating a long afternoon of counting backward from 30, but the whole process only took about 20 minutes.
I was afraid I'd have to endure a five hour wait like my sister (Martiansky) did last year....but nope....12 minutes. :shock:

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Pretty much same experience as most. Clicked at just before noon (according to the clock on the computer) got the 30sec page a few times then right through to the purchase page, and bought my ticket and vehicle pass.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Actually, people were able to get in to purchase tickets for quite a bit longer than the first several seconds. And at around 20 minutes in or so, I think people were able to get through without even having to spend time in the waiting room.

Speaking personally, and only anecdotally about a couple individual cases that I investigated, I suspect that people with multiple windows/tabs/browsers may have been doing themselves a dis-service. Sure, the user thinks they had three different places in line, but from the server standpoint it was only the single IP trying to connect.

The server-fu can be a little convoluted at times. What basically happens (I'm speaking generally here) is that the load is balanced across a number of different pieces of hardware - think of it as something like different lines at the grocery store. While everyone is placed into the server queues evenly going in, the wait time can then vary depending on how fast the transactions of the people ahead of you get processed. The servers can crunch numbers and get approvals from banks pretty quickly, but each transaction has to wait for the person to enter their information. Variances in how long it takes one person to type in their stuff versus another can result in it taking different amounts of time to get through the queue.

At no point this afternoon did TicketFly's site go down, or even come close to reaching a point of failure. Cheers to them, the Burning Man tech team, and for the ticket team (Nimbus, Frog, and Lulu) for all their help today, and for the ticket team's continued efforts in digging through an insane number of support tickets. If you do have additional questions about ticketing, please visit the ticket support site linked in my signature below. If you don't see your question answered and it's really urgent, use the Contact Us button on that site to file a support ticket. If it's not urgent, check back here. The answer you're looking for may well be on ePlaya already, or we may be able to get you an answer fairly quickly without having to put another support ticket in the queue.

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:03 pm

at 12:02 I got on and the counter begun , got to the page to purchase about 25 min later and was turned down trying to buy 2 tickets , kept trying and it finally kicked me to a refresh page then a sold out page.
My internet is Comcast cable and they have been slow at times in my area. Also my buddy was downstairs on his PC so we were using the same IP adress
trying to get in , which may be the problem as Trilobyte said.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm very in.

As a whole my camp got 8 of the 14 tickets we need. Two people were called into meetings at work and had to abandon the sale about 10-15 minutes in (they were staring at the 30 second refresh the whole time) for 3 tickets lost, 1 had his ticket code used before he got in somehow (contacted ticket support), and 2 are trying for low-income tickets (they got them last year). Fingers crossed we get the other 6 (and the 1 missing vehicle pass we'll need) sorted out.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

cosmic-honey

Post by cosmic-honey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm in! It only took about 15 minutes for me. My heart was racing the entire time!
"love is light ignited, and everyone is invited" -db

Qharti

Post by Qharti » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 pm

It sounds like I missed a lot of anxiety in trying to go for a ticket right at sale. Now I get to enjoy a plethora of other emotions in my search for a golden ticket! :D

Geosomin

Post by Geosomin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Didn't get a vehicle pass since we were going with someone who would have one...but just learned the ride may not be going. Is there another chance to get a vehicle pass? We didn't buy a pass we didn't think we needed to leave them for others. I am ecstatic to have tickets but I'm Canadian so a vehicle pass is really important to get there.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm out. But you knew that. So, why am I posting? Just feeling a little bit of vertigo for going a different way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Wannabe birgin. Out. Time for the fuck thread.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm so IN. Can't stop smiling and laughing to myself. Waited 30 minutes, in 30 second intervals. Painted my shoes, combed out my furry wig and WHAM. Ticket time. Last year step was a pleasure. I wish everybody luck. Don't give up the search.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm out. But you knew that. So, why am I posting? Just feeling a little bit of vertigo for going a different way.
I miss you already
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

The_Grue
Burning Since: 2009

Post by The_Grue » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09 pm

My campmates and I are all in, all in the first 20 minutes. I've felt like dancing all day!

Question: Will vehicle passes be resold on STEP? We don't know for sure yet, but we may have wound up with one more than we need, and would loathe for it to go to waste.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 pm

in. unprepared and in.

Petal_75
Camp Name: Tassie Yank Spank

Post by Petal_75 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

In, ecstatically and disbelievingly in!
The Champagne is on ice, waiting for my brain to catch up with the facts of the day. After last years marathon of stress and tension, this year was a breeze.
Many thanks to Ticketfly, the ticketing team and BMORG, awesome system this year, congratulations on getting it right.
I kinda feel like it was too easy, that there must have been a mistake somewhere, maybe I'll get to will-call and it will all fall apart...

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm so IN! Now the planning begins for real. Gonna scale down the load this year. I took WAY too much crap last year.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

simoneski
Burning Since: 2010

Post by simoneski » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Was thrilled to get my tickets in 30 minutes, by far the quickest purchase ever, I had planned on waiting all day. Shocked that they were sold out in an hour! Although everyone I know logged in right at noon, none got their tickets. I guess I was just lucky, happy for my partner and I, sad for my friends. Hope they luck out with STEP. See you all on the playa :P

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Geosomin wrote:Is there another chance to get a vehicle pass?
There hasn't been any official information, but if I had to make a wild (and completely unofficial) guess, I'm betting they'll be available through STEP or a STEP-like program for people to resell passes they don't need. The Org has announced that Vehicle Passes are the same as tickets re: resell price - if they find people selling the passes for more than they've paid, their entire order (including their tickets) can be cancelled. If you haven't signed up for the JRS, do so, and watch the ePlaya for announcements as well.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mcgyver2k

Post by mcgyver2k » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 pm

In, took me 24 minutes or 48 countdowns from 30 or half a beer (it was already 9 pm here). Guess that was my lucky day, my credit card was activated just a couple of hours before the sale.

ZaphodBurner
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 pm

All but one person (our only virgin) in our camp got a ticket. 9/10 beats the hell out of 2/14 which was BM 2012.

I clicked the link the instant my computer rolled to 12:00PM and got through after about 29 minutes. Sounds like I was one of the last of the lucky. In any case, between all of the camps and all the burners we know in the Portland and Seattle area, I don't think I've heard of a single person in the last three years who wanted to go and couldn't find a ticket. There were lots of them available right up to the last minute.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”