I just want to wear normal clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
MrSerious
Burning Since: 2014

I just want to wear normal clothes

Post by MrSerious » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Everyone. Forgive me for posting here, but I have done a lot of research about BM, this being my first year. I have research shelters, generators, food options, grey water disposal, even the ideal cup to bring and best PSI to inflate my bike tires to.

But here's the thing, I just want to wear normal clothes. I don't want to wear a costume or a kilt or a funny hat or weird glasses. I want to wear comfortable and functional clothes that will help me stay comfortable and safe in a harsh desert environment.

My question is, will I be welcomed into your community if I don't dress up?

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: I just want to wear normal clothes

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes, you will be welcome. Plenty of people here on this site wear "normal" clothes at the Burn, and some of them are building and constructing elaborate things, working during the event, or contributing in ways that make being physically sparkly difficult. Of the first two most "normally dressed" friends that come to mind, one runs a camp and fixes bikes and art cars for hours every day of the event, and the other works shift after shift for Gate/Perimeter/Exodus. Sometimes they wear a little flair, but it's not every day.

Judging from what I've read of their experiences (and others'), there is occasionally a Look or a flippant comment from some sparklepony who has no idea what others bring to the table beyond the surface, and mistakenly believes that wearing a tutu or fun fur is the only way to participate (because they feel that being looked at is THEIR contribution).

People who comment negatively on anyone else's lack of "party clothes" should be called out for poor manners at minimum, and possibly told to jump up a flagpole. So be ready to either do that, or ignore it.

However, you might not hear anything at all.

And if you DO like fun clothes but just don't have the budget or ability, a fun warm coat, hat, or big shemagh/scarf are practical items and give you the most mileage. So will lightweight linen-y pajama pants.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 pm

There are plenty of people who dress in simple, functional clothing. Shorts, t-shirts etc. Comfort is key. But there are assholes everywhere, even at burning man. I recommend carrying a dead walkie-talkie so you can call in for backup if someone calls you a narc or a tourist.

If you go by the videos and photos, it can look like everyone is a 23yo girl in nothing but gold hot pants. That is not the case.

Check out out the 2013 yearbook that just came out. http://blackrockyearbook.com/

Yes there's naked people and craziness, but also people in regular street clothes.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Savannah wrote:
And if you DO like fun clothes but just don't have the budget or ability, a fun warm coat, hat, or big shemagh/scarf are practical items and give you the most mileage. So will lightweight linen-y pajama pants.
And if you find yourself wishing you had something fun and different mid week, there are camps that will help you out with that. I do recommend attempting one weird or fun item. Something you might not normally wear. Tutu tuesday is a good intro. You can wear it over your shorts or jeans or whatever.

Or your night time coat. You should light yourself anyway. Experiment with lighting up your coat.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Umm, just what are normal clothes for you ???

xoA

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

This year I am all about comfort. Lots of pajamas. Like vc said, just light yourself up at night and the rest of it flows.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 pm

VultureChow wrote: I recommend carrying a dead walkie-talkie so you can call in for backup if someone calls you a narc or a tourist.
Microphone for Simon Cowell?

He he......... :wink:
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Suggestion: Maybe bring some costumes/silly clothes just in case you decide you might want to try dressing up after spending a few days in the dust.

One of my best buddies finally made it to the playa last year. This was a guy that for years and years would make fun of me for my love of costumes and flamboyancy. He could not understand why I would ever want to spend so much time and energy just to look like a weirdo. And then he was at Burning Man. And then all of a sudden Mr. Normal Clothes wanted to dress up, and for the rest of the week he was raiding my costume tent and wearing all of my furs. Not saying you are anything like my buddy, but if you do decide you want to some flair I've found it's always better to have some flair and not need it than the other way around...

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:16 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Suggestion: Maybe bring some costumes/silly clothes just in case you decide you might want to try dressing up after spending a few days in the dust.

One of my best buddies finally made it to the playa last year. This was a guy that for years and years would make fun of me for my love of costumes and flamboyancy. He could not understand why I would ever want to spend so much time and energy just to look like a weirdo. And then he was at Burning Man. And then all of a sudden Mr. Normal Clothes wanted to dress up, and for the rest of the week he was raiding my costume tent and wearing all of my furs. Not saying you are anything like my buddy, but if you do decide you want to some flair I've found it's always better to have some flair and not need it than the other way around...
True. :D

And just because you bring something doesn't mean you HAVE to wear it.

Nor does the special something have to be fishnet or fur or tulle. People are out there in suits and ballgowns and Hawaiian shirts, too.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:24 pm

if you listen to Savannah and Vulture Chow, you're golden.

note, it's "Your Burn"....no one elses. there are no rules, for a reason. You do, what You want!
Own it! Screw em if they say anything! at times, no costume, is a costume in itself!!

you are there to please no one, but yourself.
Do that, as you may.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:05 pm

YaY Yggy !

Succinct and perfectly phrased.

originally I was all into the preparing of it and for it .
That is following my first year after it moved to BRC; when I just went with my car and a borrowed tent.
But then my home became ALL about prep to the exclusion of normal
because I do believe in polarity of healthy living, I am back to just me.
maybe

xoA.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I wear "normal" clothes most of the time and nobody has ever said anything to me about it. I do bring a costume or two and a tutu that I wear sometimes but for the most part, I wear comfortable desert clothing.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Wear whatever you want.
if someone gives you shit, tell them to "FUCK OFF"

easy peasy
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:50 pm

lucky420 wrote:Wear whatever you want.

easy peasy

This - though personally I would say "FUCK YER BURN" to them.
Your Burn, do it your way.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Normal clothes are fine. It's all about being yourself and being comfortable, after all. That being said, I would recommend staying away from clothes with giant brand logos if possible.

A plain t-shirt I wouldn't think twice about, but a guy walking around with a giant Nike "Swoosh" across his chest is someone I would roll my eyes at. Maybe I'm an asshole, but I do believe in decommodification and brand logos aren't about comfort they're about commercialized status/statements. You can make a trip to Good Will and get a week's worth of comfortable, sensible clothing for less than you'll spend on food and water for the event.

Maybe if you're very lucky something there will speak to you. Dressing up, for me, isn't about donning a costume, it's about wearing things I can't in my day to day life so I can express or explore parts of me I'm otherwise unable to.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:37 pm

I tend to dress my "normal", which is surprisingly close to how I dress when solo exploring dry lands or desert. Or I'm full desert, with shemagh, etc..

So without the shemagh, I get a fair amount of "Good morning camper". Most of it tongue in cheek, some of it somewhat mean spirited. A friendly smile and a relaxed return of "Good morning Burner" goes a long way.
Particularly so if it's morning and you offer a ride on the back of your bike to the Center Camp Cafe where you're heading for coffee/tea.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

MrSerious
Burning Since: 2014

Post by MrSerious » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm

easy peasy
Based on your reply and your avatar, I want to hang out with you.

digital
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:53 pm

People sometimes give me a nasty look for my boring attire. Plain cargo pants or jeans, t-shirt with nothing terribly witty on it, sunglasses, shoes.

Comfort is my main goal to deal with tedious and back-breaking labor. My energy is focused on working rather than sparkling.

A lammy is all the flair I need these days.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 pm

I shouldn't be allowed to post on this thread. I'm sitting here now in a giant banana costume. Please wear whatever you're comfortable with. Don't be pressured by the hipe.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm

MrSerious wrote:

easy peasy
Based on your reply and your avatar, I want to hang out with you.
you, are perceptive................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 pm

ooo !
Lucky, that Mr is a good one for the pack

so reading the jrs , some of it needs serious snark
I started and hope more of you will.

Protect the principles we love
and live with

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Normal clothes are fine. It's all about being yourself and being comfortable, after all. That being said, I would recommend staying away from clothes with giant brand logos if possible.

A plain t-shirt I wouldn't think twice about, but a guy walking around with a giant Nike "Swoosh" across his chest is someone I would roll my eyes at. Maybe I'm an asshole, but I do believe in decommodification and brand logos aren't about comfort they're about commercialized status/statements. You can make a trip to Good Will and get a week's worth of comfortable, sensible clothing for less than you'll spend on food and water for the event.
Give me a fucking break.

Do you also roll your eyes at uncovered car-brand logos? Nike swooshes on shoes? "HUFFY" marks on bikes? The Port-a-John logos? Free cans of beers without their logos Sharpied permanent marker'ed out?

Or how about by the Burning Man logo -- a registered trademark of Burning Man, LLC?

Hell, you're even camping in a trademark-named city when you attend the event -- an event you ponied up $390 for a ticket you have stored away in the glovebox of your car. The very shape the city is a trademark[1].

No, this is more about being burnier than thou than keeping decommodification standards. Get over yourself. It is also completely hypocritical and ridiculous to compel a person to buy commodities (goodwill doesn't change that) just to outwardly advertise "decommodification."

Decommodification has to do with eliminating trading and bartering at the event as well as purposeful commercial advertising (e.g. the Monster energy drink brand truck). In its place is this "gifting" idea that helps people find an alternative to bartering. All this avoids taxation, creates a "disposable" atmosphere where people want to give stuff rather than trade it, and also prevents people from depending on being able to buy stuff. Decommodification is not about superficial attempts to hide the fact that nearly everything at Burning Man is made possible through commodification beyond the trash fence. If you want an "event" like that, go camping with a burlap sack backpack in the mountains away from everything, everyone and every brand.

To the OP: Wear whatever you feel like. Only busy-bodies with nothing better to do will pay notice to brands, "plain" clothing" or whatever superficial nonsense we deal with in the default world. Do, however, consider using the opportunity of a place like Burning Man to dress creatively and comfortably.

[1] The names "Burning Man", "Black Rock City", and "Decompression", as well as the Burning Man symbol, the design of the Man, the design of the city’s lampposts, and the city layout design are all protected by trademark law. -- Source
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 pm

AND, be nice

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 pm

aserendipity wrote:AND, be nice
or be snarky as all get out if that makes you happy.

Again, your Burn, do it your way.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Im with Mr. Serious. I wear the same stuff on Playa that I wear anywhere else. Other than a warm fur coat at night, I look the same on the esplanade as I do on my own street. I express my creativity in the things I build, not wear.
Praise the Lowered

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Pfft. It's hats. It is all about the hats... :wink:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Tiahaar
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 pm

clothes. meh.
Burning Man 2003-17; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Last year was my first time to go to Burning Man. I wore my normal desert clothes, real long shorts, halfway down to my ankles, and normal t-shirts, i didn't worry about what was written on them. I wore a good hat a big scarf during the day. At night maybe a vest of some kind, and lots of lights. I was always comfortable, even after walking around all day in the heat and dust.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Don't forget your towel...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 pm

MrSerious wrote:...
But here's the thing, I just want to wear normal clothes. ...
Don't worry, you will get over it.

I did.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”