Tips For A Successful Placement Questionnaire

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Tips For A Successful Placement Questionnaire

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:49 am

The Camp Placement Questionnaire form is open from now until April 30th. If you hope to register your theme camp or your art project or MV support camp, you need to have that completed no later than April 30th at noon pacific time. To do so, go here and click on the Camp Placement Questionnaire link (if you don't have a Burner Profile account yet, you'll need to create one).

If you're still struggling with getting things together and organizing yourselves, take a look through the info below. It comes from an excellent presentation by HepKitten from the Placement team given at a Theme Camp forum meeting.
Attention Theme Camp Leads! The Placement Team will be hosting a Theme Camp Forum Meeting at BMHQ on March 29th at 10AM PDT. The meeting will also be accessible remotely via Fuze Meeting. Camps that have registered in the past should have their camp lead check their email for more information - new camp leads should contact placement@burningman.com to request information. Space (and bandwidth) will be limited, only one representative per camp. The placement team will be recording the form for those who can not make the meeting, and I will update this document with any additional info.
Tips For A Successful Theme Camp Questionnaire
presented by HepKitten
  • Who should fill it out? A key person! Not the sparklepony newbie who doesn't have any answers, your contact needs to be able to answer questions and make decisions and possibly determine who in the camp gets tickets. That person needs to be available by email/phone from the time the question is submitted until placement is announced. Not necessarily 24/7, but don't have your contact be the person going to africa for 3 months :-)
  • Pretend that you have no clue who your placer is, that they don't know anything about your camp, that you haven't been coming for ten years
  • Interaction - most important! Be specific, vague is bad. Use enthusiasm, show us your personality, don't be dry.
  • Please consider the placers - don't use all caps, do use punctuation, make it as easy to read and understand as possible
  • Camp plans - make sure you mark the frontage (which side faces the street) on your map. Account for all your space, so you can contain your whole camp within the camp (no 'we'll just park the rest of the cars by the porta-potties). Make sure your plan has all your big things on it (domes, major structures, etc). Include containers, specify container info if it's a container through Burning Man.
  • RV Fortresses - please consider decorating the sides of outer-facing RV 'walls' (paint murals on sheets, etc). Plan your front yard/front facing public space, and plan your back yard/private space.
  • If your camp's name is changing, INCLUDE THAT INFO! If you need to send something to placement, use placement@burningman.com and the team will see it. MAKE SURE that you have your camp name in your subject line or at the start of your email.
  • Who should be on the early arrivals team? Only you can decide that, but please make sure it's essential people who are familiar with your camp's plans. Try not to send the sparklepony who doesn't have answers about any questions to meet with your placer.
  • Do the right thing.
Questions:
How does size affect placement/location? Where you're placed doesn't have any relation to how big you are. It does have something to do with how much you're doing. If you want that premium placement for a big camp, you need to be doing a lot.
When will you know when you'll be placed and how big you've got? Beginning of July
Can we request camps that we'd like to be near/adjacent? YES - put it in the special comments section, they'll do their best to accommodate. Big camps who need to be near specific camps should seriously consider forming a village. CLARIFY when it's a want (we like them) or a need (we share a generator).
Do you estimate what you're going to do, or only list what you know you can do? Definitely include what you know, and mention what you're working to try to accomplish. Make your best estimates now, if you have to update the info at a later date, email placement@burningman.com with your camp name and what's changing

Interaction Is Important! Camps need to do more, even the old school long-time camps.

jeremedia
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: EXPEDITION OKNOTOK

Re: Tips For A Successful Theme Camp Questionnaire

Post by jeremedia » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am

Thank you for this. Very helpful.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm

I've just edited the original post to include information about the Theme Camp Forum coming up at the end of March.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks a bunch, Trilo!
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 pm

I just filled out and uploaded the camp in a village form and in the email confirmation I received there are a bunch of questions (like contact one name, contact two, three, do you want to be listed on map etc) that I was never asked. Also, it required me to upload a layout even though it said in several,places I shouldn't have too (since I am a camp in a village). I did send an email to the forms support team, but did anyone else in a camp in a village do their forms yet?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Felony and I have already submitted the Barbie Death Village questionnaire. The only reason DWD would need to submit is to be listed (as a subcamp of BDV) in the Theme Camps listing, which we absolutely understand. You do not need to send them a map (we used last year's as a representative sample) or much of anything else.

caro.
Burning Since: 2011

Post by caro. » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:35 pm

helpful tips! oy - i need to get our camp's app finished up this weekend. slacking!
the journey is the destination...

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”