Camp DIY Is Open to New Members

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Risque Rascal
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Camp DIY Is Open to New Members

Post by Risque Rascal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Camp DIY (yes, as is Do It Yourself) is going into its third year, and would be happy to discuss who we are and if anyone interested would be good camp mates. Last year we had 28 people. This year we are applying for 30-40. We were very fortunate to be placed at 6:00 and E in 2013, and are hoping for similar placement in this year.

This post is for the Month of April 2014 only. If we continue to have openings for campmates we will repost in subsequent months.

From our website (http://www.campdiy.com which has more info), this is who we are:
CAMP DIY: While we embrace Radical Inclusion, that does not mean we personally get along with everyone or want to camp with every kind of person who comes to BM. We hope that those who join us:
•Consider themselves DIYers or love and respect a DIYer camp member.
•Enjoy sharing their DIY experience sometimes
•That those of us who are a bit of a Know-it-All try to recognize that all Camp DIYers know stuff too.
•For one week, willing to try not to let our egos dictate how we behave with each other.
•For one week willing to try foregoing your need to control things around you (other than yourself of course!)

Here is our modest list of expectations:
1) We are committed to the 10 principles, we want camp mates who understand and can live by them too at least for the week.
2) We do expect you to be reasonably self-sufficient, we are Camp "DIY" after all, not "Camp We Will Do It For You".
3) One intrinsic element of our camp is a number of daily DIY workshops. If you aren't prepared with some DIY topic you'd like to share please then anticipate helping with set up and clean up of someone else's workshop. Don't worry, it isn't hard and we all share the load.
4) We do anticipate there will be a nominal camp fee for shared resources, like our workshop shade structure, and some other community benefits. Contact us for details.

We will try to check this Topic on occasion, but probably best if you want a prompt reply to go through the contact on our webpage.

Risque Rascal

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Camp DIY Is Open to New Members during April 2014

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:20 am

I've never done it myself, but I believe it's possible to set an alert on a thread so that when someone posts in it, you get an email. This could eliminate the need to "check back" randomly, yet promptly reply to posts.
Of course, learning that your prospective campers have reading comprehension, and can follow directions might be particularly pertinent in your camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 am

Nothing says community or participation like we can't be bothered to actually check back on this thread or participate in this community site.

Risque Rascal

Post by Risque Rascal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Really Tril? I guess one could read it that way. Was just trying to suggest if folks wanted a prompt reply, to email me directly.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Workshop?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Risque Rascal

Post by Risque Rascal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Ratty wrote:Workshop?
Yes. Here is a partial list of our 2013 workshops:
DIY Theater
DIY Energy Medicine
DIY Digital Fabrication
DIY Shaving with a straight razor
DIY Soap and Body Products
DIY Brewing
We expect a similar and longer list this year.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 pm

No offense but....Does EVERYTHING have to be a fuckin' learning experience. I will NEVER go to a 'workshop' at burning man. Don't get me wrong. I learn a bunch while I'm there but it's by osmosis. Why have workshops when there is life to live and fun to be had? It's a week vacation in the desert, not a convention.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Risque Rascal

Post by Risque Rascal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Ratty wrote:No offense but....Does EVERYTHING have to be a fuckin' learning experience. I will NEVER go to a 'workshop' at burning man. Don't get me wrong. I learn a bunch while I'm there but it's by osmosis. Why have workshops when there is life to live and fun to be had? It's a week vacation in the desert, not a convention.
No problem. I'm sure there's a bar open somewhere at the same time. Have fun.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Ratty wrote:No offense but....Does EVERYTHING have to be a fuckin' learning experience. I will NEVER go to a 'workshop' at burning man. Don't get me wrong. I learn a bunch while I'm there but it's by osmosis. Why have workshops when there is life to live and fun to be had? It's a week vacation in the desert, not a convention.
Ratty: Our camp will be having a seminar on how to avoid seminars. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:53 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
I went to several of those last year! They were mostly disguised as bars and sound camps come to think of it...
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:13 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
PhD level?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 pm

For YOU. Some people like workshops. Whatever the hell your burn is, it's not someone else's. Relax.

Risque Rascal

Post by Risque Rascal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
For YOU. Some people like workshops. Whatever the hell your burn is, it's not someone else's. Relax.
:)

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Post by PurplMyst » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Nothing says "Burning Man" like DIY! Hope you guys have room for 2 more... message sent thru your website
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”