Little camp E vap

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Little camp E vap

Post by unjonharley » Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 pm

I see there is workshop to build graywater evaperaters here on eplaya.. Some very nice designs and not to much money..

I camp single.. So do not need much..Last year i brought 20 gallon of fresh filtered water.. First the melt water in the cooler.. I keep the ice/melt water in containers and each food types in there own container.. This gives me cold clean drinking water.. DId buy two bags of ice.. Put the ice in emptied ice container.. A little care and there was no messy water to take care of.. Left over ice/water carry off the playa still in the cooler.. This year I will bring two 5 gallon jugs.. The kind you can refill at the store. I have had a simple hand pump that fits these jugs.. Forgotten where I bought it.. Then I found a 5 gallon jug at Good Will.. The cook and dish water will go into the GW jug to pack off playa.. For showers I have a 5 gallon sun shower bag,,
This I left in the sun by the kitchen all week..I made a great hand washing
station.. When the bag was low on water.. It was filled from the fresh water containers.. NOTE Water from these shower bags taste of plastic.. Cooking or washing dishes is out NOTE.. For showers I use a "metal" garden sprayer.. Water from the shower bag.. Also the sprayer can be warmed on the camp stove..

Now for the shower and gray water.. Last year many mistakes in the plan.. One, not a large enough catch pan.. Two, only brought one towel for the shower pan.. Three, Tried to do the pond evap.. But I got by.. To make the shower thing easy..
This year I will some corrections.. Most hardware sell mortar mixing pan.. They make a nice size shower floor.. A large (old) bath towel for each shower per day.. Fold the towel so it covers the shower floor (mortar pan).. Wet down and soap up from a small pan.. Pump sprayed and hose yourself off.. Move the pan into the sun and lift the towel almost out of the water.. attach the top of the towel to a cross member of the camp structure.. The sun will wick the water up into the towel.. Just fold the towel and dump the gunk from the pan into the towel.. Put the towel into a plastic bag to be cleaned off playa.. Water left over was sprayed on the ground.. I was surprised when the spay washed dust off many many small moops

Thats a lot of wind... Any one want to add to it please..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

EspressoDude

Re: Little camp E vap

Post by EspressoDude » Sun May 11, 2014 7:08 am

if you brought the water in a jug, pour it back into the jug after it has turned 'grey' pack it in, pack it out no evap needed
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun May 11, 2014 7:31 am

EspressoDude wrote:if you brought the water in a jug, pour it back into the jug after it has turned 'grey' pack it in, pack it out no evap needed
I do this. Solo camper set up. Minimal wash and rinse water for dishes and myself. I use wet wipes mainly and do a wet body wash and hair wash a couple times during the week. I can wash my hair over a basin with a liter soda bottle of water. I bring an empty 5 gallon container. I pour grey water into it through a funnel that has a little bit of aquarium filter floss in it (any polyester fill would work.) The gunk dries on the floss, and that is dry garbage. I bring home less than 5 gallons of grey water in a 5 gallon container with a little bleach in it. I did try the evap with wicking towels etc. and didn't really have a good enough plan or space for the project in my car. I'm not saying it's not the way to go, I just haven't spent the time on it. The black plastic mortar mixing pan is a good idea, and good price point.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 am

EspressoDude wrote:if you brought the water in a jug, pour it back into the jug after it has turned 'grey' pack it in, pack it out no evap needed
I did say there was on old Good Will jug to carry out kitchen and dish washing.. The simple shower water evap lighten the pack out load.. Saving gas milage..Other waters from the 5 gallon shower bag and total 6 gallon from the coolers plus buying a little ice Makes up for a bunch of weight.. The two 5 gallon jugs cost $10 per.. And are use year around for emergence/disaster water at home..

Use what you have around the house before buying new stuff.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 am

I do the towel wicking evap. Using a big round tub and a portable clothes rack over it. I periodically dip the whole towel in . By the end of the week I end up with a couple of gross wet towels but it works pretty good. I bring a big truck so I have room for this set up
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun May 11, 2014 9:08 am

lucky420 wrote:I do the towel wicking evap. Using a big round tub and a portable clothes rack over it. I periodically dip the whole towel in . By the end of the week I end up with a couple of gross wet towels but it works pretty good. I bring a big truck so I have room for this set up
Thanks for the idea of a cloth over the tub... I did have trouble with to much dust blowing in.. So they are not so gross, I use more towels.. One per shower.. Then bag the dirty ones.. I will set the tub and towel on the utility trailer bed for more heat..

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Mon May 12, 2014 8:01 am

An approach that worked for me (a small generator of grey water), was to prefilter the gunk out and then "water" my hanging baskets that were multi-tiered. The top one would drip a little into the second one but each one was bone dry by the end of the afternoon.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri May 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Great thread! I'm giving it a nudge over to the Leave No Trace board, since that's a better fit for graywater management.

Ice melt within our camp seemed to be handled one of a couple ways - some campmates kept the ice bagged (well, put the bag into a bag in their cooler) and then used the melted stuff to fill their camelbaks before they went on daytime adventures, and others just put ice loose into the cooler. We have two very big metal flower watering cans that we'd drain the coolers into, and then would disperse it on the playa through the watering can. The key is to go lightly as you walk and twirl, you don't want to water the playa or create any puddles.

We've been talking about wanting to build an evap-o-tron for years, but it's one of those things we just haven't gotten to. We're careful about our water and shower usage, and if for any reason our evap pond looks like it's getting bogged down (for us that means it's not dry the next morning), we put showers on hold. The shower always winds up getting disconnected more than a day before we're taking down the infrastructure, and our evap pond has been dry when we get to that part.

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Sun May 18, 2014 4:23 am

I wrote a based-on-a-true story of evaporation pond tale some years back ...

There are two keys to running an evaporation pond successfully: getting the size right and regulating how much water goes in during the burn. It's the latter thing that is trouble: it's friggin' Burning Man and the way people treat someone else's stuff varies widely. So what if someone overloads the capacity of your pond (that is, not flooding it, but too much water to evaporate)? If you're responsible, you haul it out. As such, I always recommend just hauling your gray water back out.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun May 18, 2014 6:27 am

Zhust, I would have hoped you would read the thread title.. Little camp..

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 am

Elorrum wrote:I bring an empty 5 gallon container. I pour grey water into it through a funnel that has a little bit of aquarium filter floss in it (any polyester fill would work.)
People use nylon stocking mesh, funnels with built in filters.... all one really needs is burlap to filter dish water, coffee grounds, etc. Put it in the sun to dry and it's good for your garbage bag. This works great. Just put the greywater back in jugs and haul it home. BTW, never put a vent hole in those 2.5 gallon water containers as it will make them useless for hauling water out.
grey water 1.JPG
grey water 2.JPG
grey water 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun May 18, 2014 8:12 am

Only three attachments per post, so here is the final greywater filler system:
grey water 5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

I discovered a gallon sun tea (plastic) jar.. It has a tap an inch or so above the bottom.. For kitchen water.. If I filter through burlap and stocking.. The filtered water could sit over night.. Let everything settle below the tap.. Then evaporate with a towel in shower water..

For dish washing.. I wipe food stuff out with a * wet wipe then scald.

* Use bio wipes.. They are sold at walMart in camping.. Name brand Coleman..
No you can not put these in the port a pots.. Put used wipes in your (net) food stuff bag.. Take it all home and put it in the composter..

Return to “Leave No Trace”