I just want to wear normal clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Re: I just want to wear normal clothes

Post by shroom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am

GreyCoyote wrote:
shroom wrote:I dressed up every day but on the last day I wore normal clothes and even my bra! *gasp*

Do what you want.
Allegedly I wore a bra on the last night. Wasnt mine. And I'm a guy :) :mrgreen:
lol! :lol:
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:23 am

probably one of John Halcyon's videos

it all makes sense now.

the parables of pink jesus.

i understand...i do not condone, but i do not condemn, but i understand now.

you swallowed the "pink" pill...
Frida Be You & Me

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29 am

I was given the pink pill early in my conception
so what are you saying that I have to defend now

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:55 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

it all makes sense now.

I suppose I did. Halcyon can be a little over the top and preachy, perhaps, but there's a dearth of good videos out there that can help you get ready for the event without spoiling half the surprises that await you out there. The outfit>costume thing was a solid piece of advice that definitely helped me pick what I wanted to make, bring, and wear which made my event a lot more enjoyable. He has other nuggets of wisdom in his videos as well and overall I think his videos are pretty valuable, though I'm way more cynical and down to earth than he is.

Also, if all I swallowed from Pink Heart was a metaphorical "pink pill" I think I did pretty well for myself? :P
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Some people impress with what they wear.

Some people impress by what they build.

Some people impress by what they contribute.

Some people don't give a shit for impressions!!!!!! :P
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:35 pm

FossaFerox wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:

it all makes sense now.

I suppose I did. Halcyon can be a little over the top and preachy, perhaps, but there's a dearth of good videos out there that can help you get ready for the event without spoiling half the surprises that await you out there. The outfit>costume thing was a solid piece of advice that definitely helped me pick what I wanted to make, bring, and wear which made my event a lot more enjoyable. He has other nuggets of wisdom in his videos as well and overall I think his videos are pretty valuable, though I'm way more cynical and down to earth than he is.

Also, if all I swallowed from Pink Heart was a metaphorical "pink pill" I think I did pretty well for myself? :P
[media]
that video? lol I like some of his videos, but really the best info he gives here is the bit at the end about the piss bottle. :mrgreen:

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Actually I was mainly referencing this one:
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 am

That's a good one. Yeah sometimes he can sound a little preachy. But all in all he does give some really good advice

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm

aserendipity wrote:this is a fine forum, I appreciate expressions of real feeling !

I liked reading shoeshine talking about the striped leggings

yes, I do not know what or how I am on playa...it may well be that it is why I am there.

For me the difficulty is returning home and knowing that I have to be in that "fit in" costume
Oh yes, this is where my heart hurts. That "fit in" costume. I wear the same shiny skirts & slashed hand-me-downs every day; the only difference for BRC is I leave the shirt off. But I keep a certain plain back skirt for work, it's a tad longer and YES IT'S BLACK so, I can pass in a crowd with a push. Fitting in.

Wearing a shirt. :| In BRC I save that for Med Station 3.

MrSerious, in BRC you can wear or not wear whatever you like, and you will go along way before you find anywhere else where that is true.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Well, the truest thing Halcyon spoke to me in these is that people feeling really comfortable with who they are in a true state of beauty. So this to me means wear whatever you want to wear. It's hot, wear less, wear looser, or it's fun, wear wild, wear color, wear sculpture, wear art. It takes me a few days, and some years, I haven't felt it at all. A feeling that it's just perfect and there is nothing to worry over. Take the harness off, whatever that means to you. Playa clothes can be just like what you changed into after school when you were a kid: Play clothes. And think of this: the smile you will have, that might make your face ache from it's persistence, will be more radiant than any "outfit" you can design.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:18 pm

I've seen wounds dressed better than I do!!! :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

marbles
Burning Since: 2012

Post by marbles » Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Go nude. dont forget sunscreen. :mrgreen:

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri May 16, 2014 5:45 pm

Said this before. I used to take costumes, and rarely wore them. What I found I wore? Panties. So I just started buying nicer ones. Now I'm into sarongs. You'll find whatever your playa style is once you're there. And if you discover you want more bling, hit up one of the boutiques and find something. If you do too much khaki, you MAY be confused with a Ranger, though.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Fri May 16, 2014 5:55 pm

yummy to confuse with rangers

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Tue May 20, 2014 4:05 pm

I sure want to wear my pajama comfortable dark blue BDU pants and a simple T-shirt, but with my buzz cut hair and sunglasses, I'm afraid it will scream NARC! and I could catch a hassle. So I guess I will settle for something like this: Image

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 pm

TexasRick wrote:I sure want to wear my pajama comfortable dark blue BDU pants and a simple T-shirt, but with my buzz cut hair and sunglasses, I'm afraid it will scream NARC! and I could catch a hassle.
If you're going to be comfortable in it, wear it. Hell, play up the narc angle by wearing a baseball hat embroidered with "undercover" on it.

This is supposed to be a place where you don't have to worry what people think (even though human nature will still have you worry) - dress for your comfort and go from there. Read this whole thread to see how much people support not wearing "costumes". People are more willing to take you for who you are than what you wear out there.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm

We have a family friend that is a prison guard.. So he has the eisenhower jacket, ball cap and reflective shades.. He is also second generation mexican..

When he feels like being an ass.. He stops for a beer after work at some mexican bar.. The bartenders hate him when the place clears out....
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Aurelia

Post by Aurelia » Tue May 20, 2014 9:02 pm

what exactly is your point ?

It is easy to be an ass

dragonpilot
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 pm

unjonharley wrote:We have a family friend that is a prison guard.. So he has the eisenhower jacket, ball cap and reflective shades.. He is also second generation mexican..

When he feels like being an ass.. He stops for a beer after work at some mexican bar.. The bartenders hate him when the place clears out....
This is what I wear when I go to the ER with a case of the sniffles.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Train Wreck
Camp Name: Boobie's Water Pub

Post by Train Wreck » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:34 am

Wear whatever you want. Anybody who seriously comments negatively is doing it wrong (then again, we're all doing it wrong). Remember radical inclusion: anybody is welcome and respected at bman, and that is regardless of how they dress.

I wear cargo shorts and white tee shirts out there and get the usual "nice costume" BS from sparkleponies at least once or twice each year. I make a point to patiently educate the offender that we all contribute in various ways. Some of us in plainclothes build art, volunteer for the org, and build the very city we all love-- and even if you don't, I'm sure you'll end up contributing in some way by the end of the event, even if it's helping your neighbor set up, offering a cold beverage to a beleaguered passer by, or even something as seemingly minor as having a good conversation with a complete stranger. We all contribute in some way, even that asshole who will inevitably make an offhand comment about your attire.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:18 am

My first burn year I was thinking more about functionality and comfort than anything else when it came to clothing. After a couple of days I wound up feeling pretty disappointed for not having at least BROUGHT something a little wacky to wear. After seeing some of the crazy attire people had, but also how comfortable it still looked, I realized that I could've had the best of all three worlds with my function and comfort, but also a little flare. After that first year, I've always made a point to bring at least a few items (usually my night clothes) that have a bit of personality to them. My days are typically spent in shorts and shoes only but I enjoy having a crazier option for night time.

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 am

Eric wrote:
TexasRick wrote:I sure want to wear my pajama comfortable dark blue BDU pants and a simple T-shirt, but with my buzz cut hair and sunglasses, I'm afraid it will scream NARC! and I could catch a hassle.
If you're going to be comfortable in it, wear it. Hell, play up the narc angle by wearing a baseball hat embroidered with "undercover" on it.

This is supposed to be a place where you don't have to worry what people think (even though human nature will still have you worry) - dress for your comfort and go from there. Read this whole thread to see how much people support not wearing "costumes". People are more willing to take you for who you are than what you wear out there.
Here I am checking out the aliens at the border last year :D I usually wear this outfit one day/night. The balls hanging around my neck blink red and blue when hit together. I do get some interesting looks, especially at night :roll:

You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 pm

TexasRick wrote:Image
See also, dishdasha ... (like on Asshatzon). Basically a man-dress. Mine has pockets which is awesome.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Short answer: If you are comfortable, you are wearing the right clothing.

I tend to wear mostly shorts, sometimes shirts and always have a hat. When I remember to bring them, sometimes pants at night - but it rarely gets that cold for me.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:14 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

shLong
Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar & Love Lounge

Post by shLong » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I only read the 1st page, but wanted to chime in with my experience.

Last year was my 1st time and I did come prepared... Overly prepared, actually...
I found that during the day I would normally just go shirtless with a pair of shorts. ("hey, shLong! It's cargo cult, not cargo shorts!" lol)
But I digress... During the day, my only real "flair" was my sombrero that I spiffied up. It was practical for the environment in keeping me cool, but also was fun to see. (I had stuffed mushrooms and stuff on it, along with EL wire for wearing it at night).

What I'm trying to say is perhaps just having a useful artical that is fun. That way you're not too far out of whatever comfort zone you have, but will still not be self conscious of what you think others may think of ya.

Having said all that, just go fucking have a blast and be yourself, man. :)

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 pm

People always think I'm an under cover cop.

I just don't get it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Plaid is rad.
IMG_0477.JPG.jpg

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 pm

jneilvindy wrote:People always think I'm an under cover cop.

I just don't get it!
:shock: :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”