MV Insurance: Can't be Done?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Tanzremix

MV Insurance: Can't be Done?

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Apparently after years of making DMV-mandated modifications we've managed to make our bus uninsurable, according to our broker who is accumulating quite a few rejections. Just about any modification not done by a professional coachbuilder will put you into this category. I emailed the DMV about it this morning, and got this response:
You may want to look for something called special event insurance or float (as in a parade) insurance.

One resource for asking these types of questions would be eplaya:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/

There is a wealth of information on numerous topics including insurance there.

The two insurance companies that we know previously offered insurance are not providing it this year, at least for Mutant Vehicles, so beyond what we've noted above, we don't have any other suggestions at this point.
Well, we can look around eplaya all day but there's nothing on here with any kind of fix for this situation. How is anyone supposed to run mutant vehicles if insurance is unobtainable? Has anyone managed to find a legitimate insurance solution for this year, that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Sham

Re: MV Insurance: Can't be Done?

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:35 pm

This referral has been provided elsewhere on JRS for MV insurance. I use this company and they are awesome.
They specialize in unique and collectable vehicles. http://www.hagerty.com/
I initially had my artcar insured under the original vehicle, and once it was inspected by the above company, my rate DROPPED by 2/3. They could see it wasn't a daily driver.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit for general preparation questions. This thread also springs to mind, though there may be other discussions on the subject.

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks guys! I don't know if our broker tried Haggarty but I sent that over. she's had an assistant come in to try and look at the loopholes for us, just seems like a total mess.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Tanzremix wrote:Thanks guys! I don't know if our broker tried Haggarty but I sent that over. she's had an assistant come in to try and look at the loopholes for us, just seems like a total mess.
There is a spot on the website where you can request a quote on your own. I think you forward a photo with details and then they provide a quote.

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Hahaha, oh lord, a photo is not going to provide a compelling case. Will give it a shot though, thank you!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”