Last minute ticket demand in 2014

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Verus
Burning Since: 2014

Last minute ticket demand in 2014

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 am

Just based off of the number of posts requesting tickets, the immediate and overwhelming response to anyone looking to sell tickets, and the secondary market's still sky-high prices of tickets at this point less than a week out, I'd say its pretty obvious that this year is NOT going to be a repeat of 2012's last minute ticket situation. What do you think?

Me personally, I'm still looking for tickets. I'm wondering, what happened last year around this time? In the last few days before the burn did more tickets become available/ did prices drop?

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Last minute ticket demand in 2014

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 am

You answered your own question: every year demand increases faster than the city expands. No year is a repeat of the year before, and certainly not a repeat of two years before.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 am

Attachments
the-golden-ticket-to-making-friends-in-college-40004.jpg
the-golden-ticket-to-making-friends-in-college-40004.jpg (125.34 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:13 am

^ next best thing ^
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:18 am

So there has to be a point at which demand for burning man tickets plateaus. 70,000 people is a lot of people and burning man isn't for everyone. There are lots of limiting factors in the pool of possible attendees. Also it's not exactly as if it's any kind of secret. The word is out. I saw a segment about it on some day time talk show! It's part of the cultural lexicon. Anyone potentially interested in going already knows about it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 am

Nice fairy stories you're telling yourself...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 am

There are thousands of students waiting to go after they graduate. People who are broke dreaming of the day they save enough to go. All the bucket listers getting around to it. All the ones who hear about it from friends and have wanted to go for years. All the kids turning 18 each year. So many more. I have a friend in the military, stationed overseas, who cannot wait to attend again.

There are always more at the door.

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 am

Right. First off, suck my balls cryptofish. It's just a matter of curiosity. I'm not thinking about it in terms of getting a ticket for myself at this point. For a group that espouses all these hippie ideas there sure seem to be a lot of condescending twats.
=D. ...but maybe that's just what being in an Internet forum does to a person

Secondly, thanks Antim. You're right on all counts, but it has to end somewhere, doesn't it? The number of people graduating and turning 18 goes up every year, but it doesn't go up a huge amount. In 2010 there were roughly the same amount of people graduating and turning 18. I'm just saying there are a limited number of people with the means to go, the majority of whom you probably couldn't PAY to attend burning man (obviously I'm not one of these people). Certainly at some point the number of ticket seekers is going to level off and then maybe only gradually increase. Whether that's at 80k per year or 300k per year, I don't know. I can't imagine 300,000 trying to get tickets for a 70,000-100,000 person event. That would suck very much.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:59 am

Last year - from my humble perspective - The Strawberry Festival was cancelled due to fire at the last minute and I met quite a few people on playa that were planning on going to that, but picked up BM tickets in their local towns and networks when they had the week of camping planned and nowhere else to go. I believe this created a big bunch of folks that bought up a lot of the available tickets and for the first time in my 5 years of going there were mobs of people with signs all the way from highway 80 looking (begging) for tickets to buy.

Now the demand seems to be ever increasing because if people are anything like me - after attending my first time in 2009 - I vow to go every year I can, and so far it is working out! (I am lucky, blessed, whatever) So, if the census is correct and a large number of virgins come every year and then want to go again, plus all the vets, plus all the people who went once or twice and now want to come back - you have a HUGE number of folks looking for a golden ticket.

My camp has at least four people that have gone for the last the ten years (or more!) NOT going due to work, ticket issues, whatever. We thought we were going to be a small camp of 20 or so, but we seem to have picked up some virgins and others to bring our number up to about 30.

I think it's funny when someone asks for an "extra" ticket. There are no "extras!" None. Every ticket printed is a ticket desired.
In dust we trust.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 am

Burning Man hasn't even come close to reaching mass consciousness. I still (somehow) meet people in the Bay Area that haven't heard of it, much less people in the rest of the country.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 am

Verus wrote:For a group that espouses all these hippie ideas there sure seem to be a lot of condescending twats.
If you had spent time looking around the ePlaya beyond the ticket boards, you would discover that the last thing most ePlayan's espouse are hippie ideas. Do not let b.s. you hear spewed by starry-eyed dreamers make you think that the rest of us aren't grounded.

Here's the harsh reality: in 2012 the BLM allowed a large increase in the population at the last minute, which allowed more tickets to be released in early August (if memory serves correctly - it might have been late July). While they have allowed very small increases in 2013 & 2014, they are nowhere close to demand (just compare the 119 "Tickets Offered" posts compared to the 652 "Tickets Wanted" ones - a number that is increasing by dozens daily, at minimum). That will not happen again, and this is the first year that the new reality of what a "sell out" really is is starting to hit Burners. The old maxim "those who plan, Burn" no longer applies, there is an element of chance now.

Burning Man's population has grown every single year it's existed except for 2009 (due to a bad weather year on playa in 2008, as well as a little-tanking-of-the-economy thing that happened), it would still be growing if the BLM didn't have a hard cap on it. There is absolutely nothing to make me think demand is plateauing, if anything it's increasing every year, and increasing well beyond any numbers that the BLM will accommodate.

As for the growth having to end - sadly, no. At this point the demand will always be higher that the amount of tickets, unless there is catastrophic Hand Of God weather out there one year, and that scares people off. Even that will only be an anomaly though...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

danibel

Post by danibel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:36 am

Eric wrote: At this point the demand will always be higher that the amount of tickets, unless there is catastrophic Hand Of God weather out there one year, and that scares people off. Even that will only be an anomaly though...
I know the old adage says to "be careful what you wish for." But I am wishing for a Hand of God weather year. I don't want another economic failure, but some bad weather to scare off some of the lightweights would be nice. We have had too many years of mild weather in my opinion (and I have only been 5 times so far and all pretty dang mellow!).
In dust we trust.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am

Another foe plonked...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Verus wrote:Right. First off, suck my balls cryptofish. It's just a matter of curiosity. I'm not thinking about it in terms of getting a ticket for myself at this point. For a group that espouses all these hippie ideas there sure seem to be a lot of condescending twats.
=D. ...but maybe that's just what being in an Internet forum does to a person

Secondly, thanks Antim. You're right on all counts, but it has to end somewhere, doesn't it? The number of people graduating and turning 18 goes up every year, but it doesn't go up a huge amount. In 2010 there were roughly the same amount of people graduating and turning 18. I'm just saying there are a limited number of people with the means to go, the majority of whom you probably couldn't PAY to attend burning man (obviously I'm not one of these people). Certainly at some point the number of ticket seekers is going to level off and then maybe only gradually increase. Whether that's at 80k per year or 300k per year, I don't know. I can't imagine 300,000 trying to get tickets for a 70,000-100,000 person event. That would suck very much.
Little touchy are we?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:23 pm

It's just the internet forum twatifying him up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:26 pm

:lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm NOT fucking touchy!!

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Anyways, I have a right to be touchy.
I am all sad and ticketless. :'-(

And if misery loves company, it looks like I will be enjoying lots of loving this year. ...or... Something.. I don't know.
It sucks that even secondary burns are selling out these days. Flipside has sold out for the past couple of years I believe.

Anyway I'll have to read up on the BLM restrictions Eric mentioned.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Verus wrote:Right. First off, suck my balls cryptofish.
Will she actually be able to fit them in her mouth because you sure seem like a pretty huge dick.

Was resorting to vulgarities really necessary? There's something truly ironic about objecting to the way someone has spoken to you by being significantly ruder than they were. Also, just FYI 11,500 young people turn 18 every day.... :roll:

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Stop telling your friends, family and coworkers about how awesome it is. It's a dirty, miserable place filled with hateful bastards. The videos are all very misleading.

I don't expect demand to decrease any time soon. Tickets are going to be harder and harder and harder to come by. Time to step my game up and get on dat dere directed ticketing program!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Right. First off, suck my balls cryptofish.

you're in DEEP shit now...

boy...
Frida Be You & Me

Champagne
Camp Name: Plays Well with Others

Post by Champagne » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Damn, and I thought Burning Man jumped the shark two years ago........

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Right. First off, suck my balls cryptofish.

you're in DEEP shit now...

boy...
can we burn him next year daddy, can we, can we?????

:D :D :D

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Champagne wrote:Damn, and I thought Burning Man jumped the shark two years ago........
shark jumping is a rec activity offered ever year at Kidsville.

:shock:

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 pm

AntiM wrote:People who are broke dreaming of the day they save enough to go. All the ones who hear about it from friends and have wanted to go for years.
I was both of these before OMG sale. It seems like getting in on OMG was a bit short of a miracle.

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Yes, fine. I was being touchy and I'm sorry. I will suck cryptofish's balls instead. Will that make everyone happy? Last thing I want to do is get embroiled in some internet feud thing.

So yes, lots of people turn 18 every day, but lots of people were also turning 18 ten years ago.

70k is a lot of people. And 320k is 1/1000th of the US population. Most attendees are currently living in the US. For 1 out of every 1000 people in this country to try and attend a single festival would be craziness, right? Possible, but crazy. 320k ticket seeking hopefuls would only be a little over two doublings from 70k. So somewhere between now and then, it seems like it will level off and the number of ticket seekers will only increase with the size of the general population. Everything eventually reaches equilibrium, right?

Of course its a moot point if that equilibrium is much, much higher than what BLC can sustain or the BLM will allow. Which it seems like it will be. Just wondering though. I don't know.

Verus

Post by Verus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:03 pm

And I think the word is out. My aunt knows about burning man and she's the kind of person that says things like "have you heard about the twitters?" Yes, unfortunately, I have.

There have been lots of news stories on it in the past couple of years I think.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Verus wrote:320k is 1/1000th of the US population. For 1 out of every 1000 people in this country to try and attend a single festival would be craziness, right? .
There are a LOT more foreign folks attending than I think you realize and probably a LOT LOT more foreign folks trying to buy tickets either planning to attend or just in case they can attend once the event comes around. In 2012 I bought my tickets off some girl in Amsterdam who wasn't sure if she'd be able to attend 7 months ahead of time when tickets went on sale so she bought two tickets just in case. I'm sure that happens quite a bit.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:43 pm

And a lot of countries have much better vacation days (time off) than we do here in the US
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:42 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
Verus wrote:320k is 1/1000th of the US population. For 1 out of every 1000 people in this country to try and attend a single festival would be craziness, right? .
There are a LOT more foreign folks attending than I think you realize and probably a LOT LOT more foreign folks trying to buy tickets either planning to attend or just in case they can attend once the event comes around. In 2012 I bought my tickets off some girl in Amsterdam who wasn't sure if she'd be able to attend 7 months ahead of time when tickets went on sale so she bought two tickets just in case. I'm sure that happens quite a bit.
Had forigner's all around us last year.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”