Gratitude in getting a bike back

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
BirthChazz
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Valhalla

Gratitude in getting a bike back

Post by BirthChazz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:49 am

To the quick on the uptake burner who realized that a running, shouting woman, and her two other camp mates (also at a sprint) were chasing a gleeful bike thief. Thank you for riding after her, your quick thinking and speed turned a potential tragedy into a cautionary tale. Our bikes were useless for the chase, and locked up tight; one of our virgins had nestled hers into the group, then got distracted and did not lock it. We got the trike, thanks to you, but not the bike thief. Perhaps it was a good thing. My Philly sense of vigilante justice was at an all time high- she was in real, adrenaline fueled, danger.

Thank you. We could have not recovered the bike without you.

Xo

Discretion
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Gratitude in getting a bike back

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I've moved this to 2014 Stories, since it's not looking for a lost bike.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:56 pm

It was probably naive, but I became continuously less lock-tastic as the week went on. It started with rides to our local proto potties, then on ice trips I used no lock. Then a bit on the playa.

Part of the reason I didn't always bother to lock it was there are tons of unlocked bikes, and though mine is plenty cool. It is not a looker. The other reason is i felt some level of too muck paranoia always trying to lock my bike.

Are you all normally locking your bike every time you hit the head / get ice / etc?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Yeah, that's pretty naive. Why would someone, who is looking to steal a bike, steal the most easily recognizable bike in the lot? He'll go for the nondescript bike that nobody will notice, but only the owner will miss. I also got more regimented about locking my bike as the week went on, notably because more people were arriving, and there tend to be more thieves.

What will make you feel even more paranoid is actually having your bike stolen. It's not much effort to click that lock every time you go piss. I'm going to chalk it up to you just being too lazy to do it, but that's your choice and you lucked out.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:13 pm

I lock my bike everywhere. Maybe I look paranoid. Maybe people think I am silly, but I don't care. I want my bike to stay in my possession. The only place this year that I did not lock it was at the man embers on Monday night. It was only 2 feet from me.

People that don't lock their bikes are moop creators in my view. You are leaving your bike open to theft and then it will likely get dumped as the "borrower" has no way to get it off the playa.

Someone posted awhile ago (sorry I have no idea what thread) that they used a "clip" of some sort on the tire/frame that kept the bike from rolling. That seemed to be enough to stop the random "jump on and ride." I love the idea of a sting for bike "borrowers" and I hope that someone does that someday with video.

But really, do us all a favor and lock your bike.
In dust we trust.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I've heard people laugh at me at the portas locking my bike to go take a pee. "So much wasted time, haha."

Well, a few seconds lost here and there is worth avoiding the hassle of losing my bike.

On a side note...while waiting on Gate road for re-opening, it got dry enough to ride bikes so I took mine down to ramble up and down the line and hear the gossip. It was leaning against my car and some sparkle pony girl stalks by and asks "Is that a community bike?" I look at my partly green but mostly wood grain bike, with 4" wide fat tires and high cruiser bars, leaning against my car, in the stalled line INTO the city, and choked out a "No." She sniffed suspiciously and moved on.

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:18 pm

spacetime wrote:Are you all normally locking your bike every time you hit the head / get ice / etc?

Yep. Every single time, without fail. 3 of my village mates had their bikes taken this year.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:19 pm

I bought a sweet trike this year (worksman) and never took it to the portos because I didn't want to lock it for the brief time I'm in there. A campmate came up with the idea to tie a rope to it and hold the other end while I'm in the Porto. It will have to be a fairly tight triple,etc knot but the rope could just stay tucked in the basket at other times.

I think I will give this a try...

I also lick my trike every time I take it out too

*lock, licking would be weird.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

danibel

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 pm

lucky420 wrote: A campmate came up with the idea to tie a rope to it and hold the other end while I'm in the Porto. It will have to be a fairly tight triple,etc knot but the rope could just stay tucked in the basket at other times.
Okay I remember one time I didn't lock my bike. It was last year - night time. I had to pee so bad, I pulled my bike right up to the door of the potty and sat down with one leg holding the door open so's I could watch my bike.

My bike is not all that special - it's a $40 cruiser I bought off CL a few years ago. It has a basket and rear rack and an upgraded cushy tushy seat. But the main reason I am a freak about locking it - I do not want it to end up as MOOP for the restoration team to deal with.

I love this rope idea. Maybe hide the knot under the seat or something too. And make sure the rope is white so that it takes on a playa color for stealthiness. :D
In dust we trust.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:25 pm

I'd chalk it up to laziness and improper risk assessment. This thing stood out at night because I installed dual M232's at the PBR event prior. I rode with rainbow hearts on both wheels the second half the week.

I heard no tales of bike theft all week. Only those anxiously looking for community vehicles. I'll advise future camp mates to continuous locking as I proceed, backed by the threat of becoming a moop maker.

My mistake was not bringing a small chain lock as an immobilized for casual missions.

I had a standard u lock that I had hoped to replace with the smaller kryptonite mini 5, but couldn't swing it amount the other new gear I also picked up for the burn. I did use it religiously at first but let the friction get ahead of good sense.

What I would like to see is a small bike immobilizer that is stronger than a chain and only goes around the tire and rim. It would be great if it was key driven and could apart simply. Something clamp like.

danibel

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:21 pm

spacetime wrote: It would be great if it was key driven and could apart simply.

I prefer combos for locks on the playa. I am pretty object challenged out there and I would worry about losing my key. My combo is one I picked and very easy for me to remember, even blasted drunk.

But any lock is better than none.
In dust we trust.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:31 pm

danibel wrote: I prefer combos for locks on the playa. I am pretty object challenged out there and I would worry about losing my key. My combo is one I picked and very easy for me to remember, even blasted drunk.

do you use a combo in-line of chain or a padlock. Anyone have lock choices they are super pleased with?

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:55 pm

We just use a simple combo lock. Immobilize the wheel. Ken left his bike unattended last year for a quick trip into Barbie death camp and it was gone. It was a cheap cruiser, but we had double baskets, rope lights and hokey spokes in both wheels. Another friend of ours just uses a rope and ties a knot. Bike thieves don't want to take the time to figure that out
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

danibel

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:56 pm

spacetime wrote:
danibel wrote: I prefer combos for locks on the playa. I am pretty object challenged out there and I would worry about losing my key. My combo is one I picked and very easy for me to remember, even blasted drunk.

do you use a combo in-line of chain or a padlock. Anyone have lock choices they are super pleased with?
I use a word combo inline lock. It's long enough to circle two bikes. I like the word combo - it's easier for me to remember.
In dust we trust.

Partypants
Camp Name: Hobo Feart

Post by Partypants » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I have my key on a retractable key thingamabob. It's about the size of 4 quarters and has a 2' long spring loaded line. I have it safety pinned to the underside of my seat out of site. You can get em on line. Easy peasy. Just don't tell anyone I keep it there.
I love the smell of bacon on the playa. It smells like.......victory.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

...You can get em on line. Easy peasy...
This is the kind of thing that would work for me. Do you keep your chain / lock secured to the bike otherwise? Part of my friction was taking up space and heaviness in my pack or necessitating a pack on trips to the portos or other places when lightness is appreciated.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 pm

I have a big trike now that I lock out of habit even if I'm standing by it cloudgazing. Somebody might've attempted to steal her this year because it was dragged about 20 feet from where I parked it at an art display. I figure the potential wanker got on, rode until the cable locked up the none-drive rear tire and took a minute to figure out why the bike was lagging. I use a cable with a masterlock key on a paracord necklace as I have without fail. If I lose my ID lanyard I'll be screwed but at least they'll know who the key belongs to if my mug shows up at lost and found looking.... shrugs. I might go combo lock next time but I hate combo dials at night. The key is success every time.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:44 pm

This is the lock I use at the potties. It's a reusable zip-tie. I just zip one of those heavy duty ties around my spokes and into the plastic locking cube. You have to press 2 buttons simultaneously to pull the tie back out of the cube. I love the idea of the rope. I just worry that I'll trip someone. And yes, I always lock my bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Stories”