Looking for Camp to Join - please help

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
koren
Burning Since: 2015

Looking for Camp to Join - please help

Post by koren » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Hello, we are a group of 10 ppl, attending the burn for the first time. We are very excited, but at the same time nervous about the operation of our own camp the camp and would like to join an already established camp who are experienced and know what to expect. What we really are looking for is a camps who has their own power grid to which we could hook up our RV to, and one that would help us out with pumping the gray and black water and refill the clean water. There are many groups out there that I can tell have figured this stuff out, but I am having trouble with receiving feedback from the emails I send. We are happy to pay camp dues for this service. If your camps has bikes which you can provide, we will be happy to rent/buy those also. The most important part though is for the camp to have power. Perhaps not all 10 of us would stay in the camp, if you are at capacity, but only 2 with the trailer hooked up to the generators - the rest of our groups can live nearby in tents or smaller RVs without the need of power. We have also hear of urtus (tents with foil on them with an AC hooked up to the tents) - if you are a camp that provides this, please let me know as this also will be interesting for us to discuss. I am calling our for help to the entire community, to welcome us into their camp and show us the ropes for our first burn and let us enjoy the time with your community!!

Thank you in advance for your help and wishing you a happy burn!!!

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Re: Camp to Join - please help

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 pm

You don't want much do you?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:30 pm

There's TEN of you, and you have an RV, and you can't handle your own bikes and power?
Maybe I can give you a clue why no one wants you in their camp... you seem to want some sort of First Class experience and aren't willing to provide jack shit. How about you bring a few bikes in that RV, and a generator?
This isn't a KOA campground and you don't just pull in and pay for full hookups.
I wouldn't want you in my camp either, until you explain what YOU BRING to the table. Besides a Visa card.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:33 pm

[media]

lol

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Welcome to ePlaya. You are unlikely to find a camp with your specific requirements here and, as evidenced, more likely to find snark.

The vast and overwhelming majority of the camps don't operate that way. They're not commercial enterprises with services they offer for a price. The focus is on providing a free service to burners and not a paid one to members.

Think of it this way. Most of the camps are friends and family. They know each other and all provide for each other. What you are asking is "I want to join your family, here's my money, now point me to the hot tub."

Your best bet may be to surf last years Theme Camp listing and check out some of the websites. http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... eme-camps/ Some of the larger/ more professional camps might want you, but it will be tough.
Sic Semper Spectatores

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Maid Marion said at the recent conference that BM is banning plug & play camps.

So, no, there is no place for you to plug in and play!!!!!!!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Here is a camp that I think would meet all your needs and requirements. Seems like a good fit
tryhere.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

We're getting very close to page two, but not quite there yet.
The whole idea behind this trip to the desert is to be radically self reliant. (on yourself, not others)
Plan for all of your needs--including power, shelter, food and and comfort or transportation you may need. This means tents, bikes, stoves and lots of trash bags to haul your stuff out of there. Nothing is left behind---EVER!

If you check in the links below in my signature, you'll find all sorts of great information, tips and tricks to make your pilgrimage to Black Rock City a special one.

Best of luck in your adventure.

Sham....

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:40 pm

You could check out Hookah Lounge. I believe they're still accepting new campers, though I can't promise they're going to be excited about a group of 10 birgins who kind of seem like they want to be taken care of (I don't mean that too harshly, but you guys don't seem to have done much research on BM culture). I can put you in touch with the camp runners if you msg me. They're part of the Black Rock Power Coop, which runs its own electrical grid out there (http://blackrockfx.com/?page_id=190)

However, while you can plug into the grid by contributing to the shared cost, they definitely do not provide or bring extra bikes, and you're on your own for things like fresh water and gray/black water pumping. Those services are available from United Site Services while out there (google them) but they can be unreliable. 2 years ago, we failed to get them to come pump out our RV at all, the whole week. Which was fine and it ended up not being an issue, but point is you should make sure you're not dependent on that happening. Assume that you will get to fill your grey and black water tank exactly one time during the week.
Last edited by DrYes on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Holding back judgement, and suggesting you reframe your trip from square 1.
Very few camps, if any, will provide what you're asking for AFAIK. I've never heard of a camp that has a power grid, water supply, water pumping, bikes, and/or yurts for RVs to just drive up and plug into for a fee. Review the Bman website and the 10 principles and see what the event is really about, and then decide if it's actually something that you want to participate in after all. It's about what you can bring to the playa, not what you can take from a camp. Most camps have some city or town that they're loosely associated with and people get connected to them thru mutual friends and other local events.Yes some camps have dues in exchange for facilities, but it's not like an open market where you go shopping for amenities and choose a camp that has the most features.
Your post is framed as what you want to take from a camp, rather than what you offer, and that's not what most people are looking for at Bman. If you have a group of 10 and a couple RV's you can figure out a way to provide the things you need without the support of an established camp. There is plenty of knowledge out there to share. Do some more research and reading first. If you change your mind about going to the event, please come back to eplaya or STEP and release your tickets to some people in need.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:50 pm

first post and hitting all the nerves? troll.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Koren, (or whoever you are), thanks for the post. I laughed my head off. I know you're kidding. Now put that stick away and stop poking the nice burners.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:29 pm

296 words, and not a one about what art and services you bring to the community.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Ratty wrote:Koren, (or whoever you are), thanks for the post. I laughed my head off. I know you're kidding. Now put that stick away and stop poking the nice burners.
:?

I just can't tell anymore. When you're mentioned in the same breath as Coachella, I can totally see someone renting an RV, looking up what they nee to run it, power hookup, water, pumping, and then trying to find those services on playa.

If someone had told me about plug n plays my first year, I totally would have ended up in one. Flying in, not really knowing anyone, it would have been far simpler to have it all taken care of for me.

You think someone can't be this obtuse, but then you wouldn't think a board member would run a $15k pp plug n play.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:55 pm

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:08 pm

[media]
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Looking for Camp to Join - please help

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:21 am

Good luck in finding what you're looking for, but do understand the reasoning behind some of the criticism and snarky responses you may be getting (so far, and in the days/weeks to come). If you've done the basic required reading you may be familiar with the ten principles, and the high value the community places on radical self reliance... and in that light a "where do I camp?" thread is thought to be a failure in the self-reliance part, whether it comes from a new person or seasoned veteran. Beyond that, rattling a list of amenities that you wish to buy/rent only underscores the lack of self reliance.

If you have not done the required reading (at the very least, the survival guide and first timer's guide), start there. You, and all your campmates. From there, my advice would be to be the campmates that you'd like to have in your camp. Think about what you can do for your camp and your campmates, and what you guys might be able to contribute to a like-minded group, and not the list of amenities you need others to work to provide for you.

It's also fairly early in the season, usually at this stage people are looking to recruit enthusiastic workers who are interested in helping a camp to realize their visions for the playa. Most camps doing open enrollment, or who cater to those who aren't bringing anything to the table don't start posting about that until later in the season. A list of camps who have registered for placement is generally posted at the beginning of summer, but if you do a little looking around you can find lists from previous years. From there, you could peruse that list, along with the threads on this board from camps that may be looking for members - find one that looks exciting to all of you, and consider reaching out to them directly to express your interest.

Good luck to you and your campmates!

Mitch
Camp Name: The Black Rock Beacon

Post by Mitch » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I'm pretty sure that's just a troll message, albeit with a good sense of camouflage. But it IS pretty hard to find info about RV water/pumping on the Playa.

To my knowledge, the one company that will bring you water is

http://www.meco-reno.com/burningman2014.php (last year's page)

and to get it carted away after you've messed it up:

https://www.unitedsiteservices.com/loca ... ty-rentals

Alternatives are to bring it in in five-gallon jugs; you can use a small electric garden pump to fill up an RV: put a pot in the kitchen sink, put the pump in the pot, run a PVC pipe that fits the pump out the window and into the tank. Pour the water out of the jugs, into the pot, and let the pump put it in your tank -- you can also siphon it instead of using a pump or haul the water jugs to the roof, tape the PVC pipe to the side of the RV directly over the intake, put a big funnel into the pipe and pour the water out of jug, letting gravity do the work. Home Depot has the pipe you need, you'll want at least 15 feet and 20 is safer, you can always make it shorter. If you don't have an RV with a generator, then the pump may be problematic.

Gray water can be efficiently evaporated by building one of these: http://www.instructables.com/id/Gray-B- ... ywater-di/

Black water, as far as I know, must be pumped; the only alternative is to use the potties and keep your RV load below the 30 gallons or so of a black-tank capacity.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm

MECO can also pump out waste-water. We were happy with them last year.

falk

Post by falk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Look, you have an RV and ten people. That's a good start for your own camp.

Here's what you do:

Ask around among your friends to see who else is going to Burning Man. Find about ten more people and one or two more RVs that are going. That's your camp.

Start a mailing list for your camp.

Decide among you who is going to:
  • * build the shower facility
    * build the grey water evaporation pond
    * coordinate community meals, if that's what you want
    * build the kitchen and washing-up station
    * build the shade structure
    * get to the playa first and stake out a location for your camp
Arrange your RVs at the border of the camp. Stretch the shade structure between them. Communal area and tents go under the shade structures. If you have three or for RVs, then they will make an excellent wind break.

I recommend a basic rectangular shade structure. See my overview of shade structures.

purcitron
Burning Since: 2017

Post by purcitron » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:22 pm

howdy all.
1st time burner in 2015 here.
very seasoned traveler.
self-reliant.
all BM gear is ready.
rolling solo.
looking to make friends at the burn.
i know the camp admission process is strict.

any advice for joining a newbie camp please?
thanks.

leafx
Burning Since: 2015

Post by leafx » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:56 pm

purcitron wrote:howdy all.
very seasoned traveler.
self-reliant.
all BM gear is ready.
rolling solo.

thanks.
hijacked; @purcitron, first time burner myself here rolling solo as well. flying into reno mon aug 31 riding the burner express and touchdown on the playa tues sep 1 - i need friends too, lets make our own camp?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 am

^^^ this is how ya do it properly!!! ^^^

This is how camps start.
This is how problems get solved.
This is how things like power, water, shade, meals, etc start coming together.

Original poster: please take note.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

purcitron
Burning Since: 2017

Post by purcitron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:34 am

leafx wrote:
purcitron wrote:howdy all.
very seasoned traveler.
self-reliant.
all BM gear is ready.
rolling solo.

thanks.
hijacked; @purcitron, first time burner myself here rolling solo as well. flying into reno mon aug 31 riding the burner express and touchdown on the playa tues sep 1 - i need friends too, lets make our own camp?
lets do it!
sent you a PM.
anyone else care to join?

Mitch
Camp Name: The Black Rock Beacon

RV Pumping Update

Post by Mitch » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:59 pm

I was just told by United Site Services that the minimum size to schedule RV pumping for your camp this year is 5 RVs per visit. Otherwise you have to flag down a driver.

Cost is $60 plus a $12.90 environmental fee.

wolfraider
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Inflatable Wildlife Conservatory

Post by wolfraider » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:48 am

falk wrote:Ask around among your friends to see who else is going to Burning Man. Find about ten more people and one or two more RVs that are going. That's your camp.

Start a mailing list for your camp.

Decide among you who is going to:
  • * build the shower facility
    * build the grey water evaporation pond
    * coordinate community meals, if that's what you want
    * build the kitchen and washing-up station
    * build the shade structure
    * get to the playa first and stake out a location for your camp
This. Everything about this. I feel like you explained exactly what we've been doing for the last 6 months...

Return to “2015 Camps, Art & Activities”