Older Burner

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Older Burner

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:36 pm

I've noticed in most pictures and videos that a huge majority of Burners are younger. I'm not. I'm a 61 year old virgin and I'm wondering if older guys like me are generally accepted by the younger Burners? This is probably just first timer nerves but I'd hate it if, and I know this sounds a little childish, the younger crowds were a little standoffish because of my age.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Older Burner

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Half the people here on eplaya are as old as you. (Who else has time to hang around and chat everyday?) The event is full of all ages. The babies don't have the funds to put on this show. You will be in good company. If you can forget your age for the week so can they.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Younger burners are 'more photogenic', younger burners are the ones who cannot put their 'tech' away for the week; therefore, we see more pictures and video of the 20/30 crowd.

According to the Census, lots of us are more mature than the photographic evidence would suggest.

As long as you're not some kind of creeper (I'd stay away from shirt cocking if I were you), you'll be golden.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm 67, the majority of our camp are 1/2 my age. It's a great mix of people, young and old. You'll fit right in.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:20 pm

In my experience, nobody cares how old you are. I wouldn't even worry about it. Just go and have fun! :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm 71. Younger burners hang with me, I hang with younger burners and sometimes we all hang together.

I enjoy their love of life and benifit from it. And, many a time, they look to me as a sounding board, and as a balance before making their own decisions.

And, we all agree that I don't look good naked any more and they still do and other than superficial looks, there is not much difference.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Dogma
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Dogma » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:34 pm

This will be my second Burn and lats year i had the wonderfull oportunity to camp with people late 40s to early 70s. Im 24 from MX City making a great effort to come back but what i mean to say is that all this "grown" people at my camp are ones of the most wonderfull people i haver ever meet, and of course love to hang around with them. So don't be shy.
Cheers from MX (sorry for bad English)

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 pm

i will be 60 this year ")
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:41 am

My camp this year is a loose group of 20, 30, 40, 50, and me. (62) Or just me if they don't show.

Or just an empty space if I don't show. :)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 am

Our camp ranges in age from 20s to me at 58, and we skew high on the age bell curve.

Morrell

Post by Morrell » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 am

Age is a state of mind and at Burning Man everyone's inner child shows up! You will have a blast!

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm

You can check the Burning Man census (PDF warning)

According to their data:

0-19: 1.4%
20-29: 30%
30-39: 35.2%
40+ : 33.9

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01 pm

That actually surprises me. I would have thought the 20-29 age group would have been a lot higher. I guess that might have something to do with that inner child Morrell was talking about.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm

I think the pics and video you see are skewed to a younger demographic. I don't agree that it's mostly a photogenic factor, there are lots of hot/sexy/awesome people that also happen to be older. I think it has to do with younger generations having more of a tendency to shoot, post and share with reckless abandon. Even with older people who take lots of pictures, I think there's a difference in the kinds of pictures being taken. A couple years ago I was looking through one of our campmate's photos. He was younger (I'll say in his 20's) and a really great photographer who took hundreds of awesome pics. I (in my 40's) also took hundreds of pictures, and though my skills pale in comparison to his, I got some great pics in there too. One thing I did notice was that most of his were of people, where most of mine were of things (art installations, mutant vehicles, and a few pics of how I set something up at camp). That was just me looking at his pics, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was also a general trend.

Regardless of who's in pictures, or the census breakdown (which is also pretty telling), I feel like people are pretty accepting of others regardless of age (or gender/orientation/race/etc). In my first year one of my campmates pointed out that if you're ever someplace and you don't like it or don't feel comfortable... just move on. Most places you go to are great, it is a massive city, and you're never going to see it all anyways.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Hey, DerbyDave....as others have said, don't worry, it will be fine.....

I’m 67, my first burn was when I was 50, so I’ve been an oldster (to the young-uns) from the get go.

No matter the culture/technology/education/world situation differences in the generations since I was young. As an older person it’s easy to see, ESPECIALLY on the playa, that most of the time I am just part of the environment…nothing to look at here, move on. Which is just how I was around “adults” when I was maturing.

No feeling out of place in being just another part of the ambiance, , ,actually, really peaceful....

However, a great counter to being just another ant in the BM colony is there are moments when there is terrific interaction with a younger person who wants to talk, wants to play, smiles, listens, asks questions and is THERE in the moment and not busy wondering what else is going on and what they will say or do next. For them, “Be Here Now” is not some hippie idealist phrase the ghost of which is embedded in bumper stickers completely turned to an adhesive residue on 60’s VW’s in scrapyards. (or in some oldsters garage where he/she is going to restore it someday….)

It is absolutely true that the meaning of “here” isn't considered to be a dimensional object (i.e., smartphone) to a number of young-uns out there, and they will find you and remind you that there is hope for humanity as you head toward decrepitude and making the move to a new home address that isn't Burningman or anywhere in the default world….

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Admittedly, this guy looks really good for 86, but he's doing just fine:

[media]

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:33 pm

the 2 most poignant and memorable moments i've had on the playa have been with a woman in her 70s and a dude in his 50s.

you do you and you'll meet amazing people of all ages.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 am

Just thought I'd add a little something regarding my experience and concerns about being an older burner. I've gone two years now and you were all right. Nobody cares. I spent great times with younger guys and girls who just came up and started talking. This last year I spent two hours talking and drinking with a 20 something guy who came up and hugged me and we had a great time waiting for the communal shower to get fixed. It never did but it was terrific. All my concerns were for nothing. Going again this year knowing what a great time I'll have.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”