Flooded or AGM batteries? 6v (in series) or 12v?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
tink2011

Flooded or AGM batteries? 6v (in series) or 12v?

Post by tink2011 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm buying new batteries for my mutant vehicle this year. They will be used exclusively for my LED lighting. My lights should draw between 20 or 25 amps (haven't put them all on yet, so not sure if I'll need all of them). I have been told that attaching two 6v golf cart deep cycle batteries in series provides better power than one 12v deep cycle. Opinions?

I would like to have 225 Ah and trying to decide if I can get away with two Trojan T105 6v golf cart batteries (wet/flooded). My concern is spillage on the playa. When the roads get rough during the last half of the burn, my golf cart-based mutant vehicle gets bounced around. Does anyone have experience with a flooded battery spilling on the playa due to rough rides? Should I pop the extra money for AGM batteries instead?

Another question: do flooded batteries take longer to charge than AGMs? I have a nice Honda generator. Any advice would be appreciated! THANKS....the burn is only one month away!

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Re: Flooded or AGM batteries? 6v (in series) or 12v?

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Even if you opt to stay with the less expensive flooded batteries, I would spend the extra to get the Trojan T145 model. They last significantly longer than the T105 IMHO. Just had to replace my T105's, which I replaced my older T145s with. The T145s lasted several years and the T105s just 2 or 3. I also use them almost exclusively for LED lighting, but ours is in camp.
IMG_9184-1s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Lead Acid- less expensive, danger of spill, must be charged/used where ventilated, haz mat on shipping, more sensitive to vibration.
AGM- can't spill and unlikely to have an acid problem, more expensive, not as bad a haz mat problem, less chance of hydrogen vented to atmosphere.

In cold weather lead acid lasts longer than AGM and seems to maintain a charge better. Don't know how that translates to hot weather.

When stored both types of batterys should be kept on an automatic charger- this will extend their life but the different batterys need a different float voltage so the charger needs to be deisgned for the battery. What kind do you already have? Since lead acid batterys are much more likely to discharge hydrogen AGM might be more appropriate if stored in your house or garage. Not a huge problem but...

Build a battery rack and bolt your batterys down. Put them on top of something that will absorb vibration. Loose batterys are asking for trouble.
Since playa is a strong base battery acid will neutralize when spilled on the desert floor. You would have moop to clean up.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Golf carts use these batteries over AMG for a reason...just sayin
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Jackass wrote:Golf carts use these batteries over AMG for a reason...just sayin
Cost?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Because they're the best overall choice, unless you need to hang a battery upside-down or like spending almost double.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 am

Just making sure you're aware - while everything else about the Honda generators is terrific and they practically shit rainbows out their tailpipes, the 12v battery charging output is a near useless feature. It's very low powered (slow) and it's unregulated, which means it will happily overcharge your batteries (eventually!) which isn't good for them at all.
Don't use that, use a decent 120vac charger plugged into the generators main 120vac outlets.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Just making sure you're aware - while everything else about the Honda generators is terrific and they practically shit rainbows out their tailpipes, the 12v battery charging output is a near useless feature. It's very low powered (slow) and it's unregulated, which means it will happily overcharge your batteries (eventually!) which isn't good for them at all.
Don't use that, use a decent 120vac charger plugged into the generators main 120vac outlets.
Do you know if the Yahmaha is the same? I've never actually tested mine but if this is the case I will get a separate charger.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:08 am

Yamaha's 12v battery charge port is same.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Yamaha's 12v battery charge port is same.
Thanks, Cap. I just assumed it was a decent charge port. Guess I'd better grab that 10A charger!

tink2011

Post by tink2011 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:53 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the input.
Yes, I will get a separate 120v charger for the generator 120v plug.
What about linking two 6v batteries in series versus one 12v battery. I've heard the two 6v would be better. Anyone with experience?

Getting closer to the burn!!! If you guys see a giant alien in a purple/green suit atop a white space ship (daytime), pastel spaceship (night time), stop and say hi! I'm Sweet Alice.

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 pm

I have always used pairs of 6v deep cycle batteries after reading up on it when I started doing the 12v system in 2007. I've had very few issues.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

tink2011

Post by tink2011 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:23 pm

That's what I've read too: two 6v are better than one 12v. Do you have a preference for flooded (cheaper per Ah) or AGM (more expensive)?

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 pm

I don't have any experience with the AGM batteries.

Return to “Power & Electronics”