Trouble finding a place to camp which is NOT in a theme camp

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
KimStuart
Burning Since: 2008

Trouble finding a place to camp which is NOT in a theme camp

Post by KimStuart » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Everyone, Can you please help with your ideas. My husband and I want to find a place to camp without joining a camp this year. (we want to wander around and visit) Last year we got right in shortly after the gate opened and so much was taped off!! We were looking 9:15 and I or J - in any case, further out. People had SO much space taped off, with no one there or just a couple of people, saying 'More will be coming'. Also, it was early in the day Sunday, but there was not much Black Rock spirit. Also, I think that last year there was supposed to be some space delegated to individuals camping and forming spontaneous camps. We couldn't find it though. It was quite awhile before some kind folks - long time Burners - said 'C'mon and camp right beside us'. A lovely moment, but took us ages to get there.
What are your thoughts. Thanks so much and see you soon. Am still working on our new lighted vests. Kim

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Trouble finding a place to camp which is NOT in a theme

Post by gaminwench » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:33 pm

On the map, given to you at Greeters, there are purple areas (placed camps) and white areas (open camping).

Head for the white (although this could be a different color, depending on the map scheme) areas, locate a likely spot and check with the neighbors already in place.
The closer you get to 10/2, the more likely you are to find 'roped off space'; the LSSA camps tend to take up a LOT of overflow camper space.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Consider moving more towards the 4/5/6 o'clock side. Not so much asshattery/commodification/douche-bro/sparklepony action there. Lots of long time burners. Lots of LOVE. Lots of "chill vibes". Lots of "hey! We love you! (What was your name again?)". Not saying these things dont exist elsewhere. Just saying I have personally found lots of neat folks in those woods, and many of them are eplayans.

My opinion. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:57 pm

I dunno, but it looks like there's about 50% theme camps and 50% open camping, someone chime in here...maybe more maybe less...but that's still a lot of open space. I got in last year at about 1:00 AM Monday morning and found plenty of open space toward where Grey Coyote suggests. Lots of folks veer left of 6 o'clock because it looks closer...veer right!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:49 pm

The OP may want to be on the 9:00 side - from what I've heard, 9 is one of the most requested areas for placement. There are ways to find a site there, hopefully without too many problems. 9 itself is all theme camps, all the way back, and 9:15 between I & J is right on the border of them, so it will be tight there. Looking at the 2015 map, you might aim for 9:30 (or 8:30) anywhere between I & L (and obviously the letter streets are going to be easier to find camping on than the radials).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Eric wrote:The OP may want to be on the 9:00 side - from what I've heard, 9 is one of the most requested areas for placement. There are ways to find a site there, hopefully without too many problems. 9 itself is all theme camps, all the way back, and 9:15 between I & J is right on the border of them, so it will be tight there. Looking at the 2015 map, you might aim for 9:30 (or 8:30) anywhere between I & L (and obviously the letter streets are going to be easier to find camping on than the radials).

No. All the beautiful and cool people are between 4 and 6. Scientific fact. (Just go with it... Hehehe)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Eric wrote:The OP may want to be on the 9:00 side - from what I've heard, 9 is one of the most requested areas for placement. There are ways to find a site there, hopefully without too many problems. 9 itself is all theme camps, all the way back, and 9:15 between I & J is right on the border of them, so it will be tight there. Looking at the 2015 map, you might aim for 9:30 (or 8:30) anywhere between I & L (and obviously the letter streets are going to be easier to find camping on than the radials).

No. All the beautiful and cool people are between 4 and 6. Scientific fact. (Just go with it... Hehehe)
Yes, but who want's to hang out with people who think they're beautiful and cool? The fun people are on the 9:00 side. :twisted:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Eric: Yes, but they all have fuzzy red beards and funny hats and odd pickle fetishes.

Beautiful and cool and BETTER PICKLES people are all at 4 to 6 o'clock. Word to the street... :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm

5:25 and H. Coolest spot yet. If you don't insist on street frontage, it was open all week.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:13 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:and BETTER PICKLES
You know them's fighting words, right?

Also, I'm between 4 and 6, so basically I'm the center of the Venn diagram.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Eric wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:and BETTER PICKLES
You know them's fighting words, right?
Pretty big words for someone with a goofy hat.
Eric wrote:Also, I'm between 4 and 6, so basically I'm the center of the Venn diagram.
Ah, well... friends for life then? :mrgreen: Pickle? :lol:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:58 pm

KimStuart were you looking only in the 730 to 930 area?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

MimiRKarr
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: NA

Post by MimiRKarr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 am

gaminwench wrote:On the map, given to you at Greeters, there are purple areas (placed camps) and white areas (open camping).

Head for the white (although this could be a different color, depending on the map scheme) areas, locate a likely spot and check with the neighbors already in place.
The closer you get to 10/2, the more likely you are to find 'roped off space'; the LSSA camps tend to take up a LOT of overflow camper space.

This advice is major helpful for the burn c:
Time has a way of removing illusions.
Love is life. So if you miss love, you miss life.

EspressoDude

Re: Trouble finding a place to camp which is NOT in a theme camp

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 am

Something else to consider is looking at the MOOP map from last year. The map is essentially the placement map from last year with colors added to show how clean they were. This should give some idea about where you may want to look for a spot.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:33 am

I like your suggestion EspressoDude.

Tip O-Da-Cup to ya! :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:41 pm

KimStuart wrote:Hi Everyone, Can you please help with your ideas. My husband and I want to find a place to camp without joining a camp this year. (we want to wander around and visit) Last year we got right in shortly after the gate opened and so much was taped off!! We were looking 9:15 and I or J - in any case, further out. People had SO much space taped off, with no one there or just a couple of people, saying 'More will be coming'. Also, it was early in the day Sunday, but there was not much Black Rock spirit. Also, I think that last year there was supposed to be some space delegated to individuals camping and forming spontaneous camps. We couldn't find it though. It was quite awhile before some kind folks - long time Burners - said 'C'mon and camp right beside us'. A lovely moment, but took us ages to get there.
What are your thoughts. Thanks so much and see you soon. Am still working on our new lighted vests. Kim
There's some really good advice here so far ("veering right" among them).

It's really very typical for anyone not placed (I was not placed for most of my Burns) . . . finding a spot can be a stressful pain in the ass, and one feels rather rootless and disgruntled until the moment things work out.

Even sometimes when you are in a placed camp,however, their placement person is asleep or not yet arrived when you roll in, and there's a night of sleeping (or more accurately, 2.5 hours of sleeping) in the mini pop-up tent or truck.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:09 pm

That sounds like my new plan. Have a 2015 MOOP Map, and placement Map when they are ready. Then Veer right. :D

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

huksu

Post by huksu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:11 am

GreyCoyote wrote:Consider moving more towards the 4/5/6 o'clock side. Not so much asshattery/commodification/douche-bro/sparklepony action there. Lots of long time burners. Lots of LOVE. Lots of "chill vibes". Lots of "hey! We love you! (What was your name again?)". Not saying these things dont exist elsewhere. Just saying I have personally found lots of neat folks in those woods, and many of them are eplayans.

My opinion. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the advice!!!

FreePeacelove
Burning Since: 2013

Post by FreePeacelove » Tue May 10, 2016 2:09 am

Hey girls and guys, i have a little question about the tents/spaces/areas, how ever it is called. Do you think it would be allowed to carry and build up a tent like this?:

I know the logistical costs would be insane, but some friends of me and even their friends and the friends of my friends-friends (Ya´ll know what i mean :D) think it is a good idea because we will have really MUCH Space in that tent, we want to equip it with climate-Technology, to avoid the heat and to make any shade structures unneccessary. We have a lot of good Reasons for that big tent, making privateparty whenever we want and creating a own little world while in the dessert. But i dont know who i can ask, because of safety rules and similar things. My only Intension is to have fun with a lot of friends, and maybe make some more new friends all over the world. But i am in sorrow that the big tent won´t be allowed because of safety rules, maybe because of sand storms, the coldness, or anything....i dont know. Sorry. Should i speak with the Burning-Man founder? Or should i speak with the government of that area of the dessert? Or should i speak to a safety/architecture-company? Money doesnt makes any difference, i want to have all my friends with me melted together in a big party in the dessert, before i will (maybe) leave this earth in a few years, no matter what it costs :) (Cancer)

Regards.
Twain: We have the best government that money can buy.

Churchill: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 10, 2016 4:11 am

That's a very impressive structure you're looking to build. That would no doubt need a permit to build. If you're serious, I would contact the org and see what regulations this falls under. I'm sure county officials would be part of the decision making process.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 am

If you want to go to that length to isolate yourself and your friends, why go at all?
Why do so many of your 15 posts in two or three years have commercial links, most to that same company?
Have you got even a single photo of yourself at Burning Man? I'm betting you don't...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 am

@FreePeaceLove - You're welcome to attempt to bring and build any type of structure, so long as it doesn't do any kind of permanent damage to the playa. But forget the expense, you'd have some serious logistical issues with trying to build that particular kind of structure. Even aside from not being able to pour the concrete foundation such a structure needs (look at the picture, it's not free-standing on dirt/grass), you would not have the necessary time to get it built and finished. Even if you somehow amassed a huge crew and rented a bunch of heavy equipment to help, you'd have to start taking it apart and cleaning up long before you finished. You may have a ton of friends that you can't bear to camp without, they would probably have second thoughts about camping with you if that meant the bulk of their Burning Man adventure was building and taking apart a giant structure.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Tue May 10, 2016 10:47 am

FreePeacelove wrote:

Should i speak with the Burning-Man founder?
Why not? It can't hurt. Be aware though that he controls the concrete concession at The Project and price is not negotiable.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 pm

I'm just a newb here but these statements jumped off the page at me....

Private? really? :?

.....making private party whenever we want and creating a own little world while in the dessert.

My only Intension is to have fun with a lot of friends, and maybe make some more new friends all over the world.

And this sounds like a PnP camp.

Money doesnt makes any difference, i want to have all my friends with me melted together in a big party in the dessert,....

My first question would be how do you reserve that much space and not be a theme camp, with early entry to set it up?
So maybe set this up after the burn. Then you can have the entire playa for you and your friends. :wink:

OR ...... I smell a troll....... 8)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue May 10, 2016 2:54 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:
OR ...... I smell a troll....... 8)
Oh, probably. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Perpetual Burn » Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 am

Haven't read the whole thread so I'm just responding to the OP...

Hey Kim!

Interesting that you're aiming for 9:15 & I or J... I live in Tahoe with alot of Burners... we got multiple local camps, one of the camps is called Shark Week and it's located at 9:30 & K-ish.... the camp sprawled across the block so I was parked at like 9:37 & J...

Anyway, it's a fun camp with chill people... a nice lounge with couches, shade, hammocks, music and a bar... and all the other extracurriculars you could want. ;) And of course it's all Gifted with Love.

All are welcome... we didn't tape anything off yet we all found space and some new folks joined us aswell. Feel most welcomed to join us or stop by anytime.

Hope ya find whatever you're looking for... and you will, cause Radical Inclusion is a beautiful principle.

See ya in the Dust!
Funfinity manifeats Mettatacular pHazes
Dancipate white hazes of Esplenadazes
SwimInfinite Dust as Defaultia lusts
Unpossibility reigns nonlimited mindbusts
Rollbliterate ego ~n~ drop dosasses, Monases
Spuntaneous artKarmaval ~ Burn Bright All

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri May 26, 2017 11:03 am

LOL, at least read the date. OP posted in 2015.

Ad with the newer format, wrong forum...

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”