stuff i learned on or first burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
silas thatcher
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: psychedelic sea dogs

stuff i learned on or first burn

Post by silas thatcher » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:54 pm

since we all learn each time, here is a list of stuff i learned at our first burn to the playa....

the 1" emt shade structure held up perfectly, the pop up camper did well also....

yeah, screw rebar, go with the lag bolts next time....

use better cooler management, use the smaller plastic tubs inside the cooler....

yeah, way too much food, but we ended up feeding others during the tear down and passed out left overs of my wife's delicious cooking...she even made me pizza on our camper stove on my b-day !!! (sept. 4 )

warmer night clothes for the wife, i was fine, i don't get as cold as she does....

even though i went barefoot most of the time, i did wash with vinegar and water and followed it up with coconut oil and had no problems, yet neglected my elbows and knees and they are a little dried out ....

and since i go barefoot at home, i slip on my trusty topsiders ( boat shoes ) when i need to.... that doesn't work on the playa since my feet sweat any way, i turned the playa dust inside my shoes into slick mud.... so wear socks with them....

tricorns do quite well in the wind....

chap stick.... even though i felt that my lips were not needing any, by the time we left ( monday morning ) my lips were chapped.... a little prevention would have helped even though i thought it unnecessary....

flash lights !! can never have too many.... put them into many places so that one is always available.... the two that we had were never around when we needed them...

since we have a 31 year old pop up camper, we had to hope and pray that the towing lights would stay working.... the tail lights did not survive, but all others did, even the brake lights.... so a friend turned on his head lamp and clicked it until it was red and we strapped tow of them to the bumper.... now we won't get pulled over again !! ( got pulled over on the playa, fiddled with them, but no luck, but got away with a warning )

brought way too many clothes....

one kid on our camp ( pandora's fix it shop and lounge ) got a ticket in town, got a ride in a bus and had almost nothing with him.... so he set out to find all the camps that served some kind of food ( self reliant at this point ) and slept in the communal yurt along with others... he seemed to be a great kid ( 23 ) and gladly ate left overs from our dinners.... since i had made way too much jerky, i ended up giving him quite a bit to sustain him for a few days.... later i saw him sharing the jerky with others... guess the playa provides....

at tear down the same kid came back and helped us break down the camp !! he received, and gave.... good kid...

all in all, our shake down cruise turned out well ... we arrived safely, camp did well, we gave and we received, met some great people, opened our minds and our souls , saw what we needed to see and best of all, hugged a naked guy named elliot !!

so until next time, we will continue to improve our camp and ourselves .... the playa provides....

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: stuff i learned on or first burn

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Buy LED tail lights for your trailer. They work!!

That naked guy named Elliot... that HAD to be Elliot of Elliot's Bike Repair and Wine Bistro at the 4:30 plaza!
Elliot is awesome.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

silas thatcher

Post by silas thatcher » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 pm

yeah, son said that if we were to keep the camper, new light fixtures and possibly new wiring in the future and i saw the new leds that i can buy...

and yes !! that was elliot !! he had gifted me a bike seat that i picked up when he was not there, so i made sure that i returned to thank him in person.... he does seem like a great guy....

saw your boat once from a distance, but never got a chance to see it closer....

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Congratulations on a well-done virgin voyage, Silas! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 pm

So first off, thanks to all the people here who prepare everyone for the first burn. This place is a wealth of knowledge that makes the burn easier for everyone around. The playa is a test of survival and preparation. It takes immense amounts of effort from everyone involved to make a city that functions like Black Rock does. Being prepared and contributing is crucial to the experience.

I had never been to any burns before this, just music festivals which are barely a warm-up. I am glad I finally got to experience it. It is truly remarkable and life-changing. I find that i am a little more open and cracked a shell that I had now that i am back. I still am catching up on rest.

So first up: things that worked.

Hexayurt. Awesome. I didn't get it finished until the Friday before the burn and had no setup time to check it prior to the burn, but the danger hinges were great and made setup a breeze with a few people. The portal door worked awesome, a hole was cut to fit the swamp cooler snugly, it had a couple windows and an exhaust hole with a tube. I also made some shelves with a coatrack out of 2x4's and old freezer grates to fold down into little space for interior organization. It was usually cooler inside during theday and warmer at night. The only yurt issue was that we didn't get it set up until Thursday since it was too windy Tuesday and Wednesday, along with being too late monday when we arrived.

Swamp Cooler- I made a unicooler variant with an igloo can cooler base that had a 15 gallon reservoir, then built a box on top to fit homebrew kegs inside to cool off. The keg cooling feature wasn't needed that badly with the cool nights, but it still got them at good serving temps. The Beericooler worked great for keeping the yurt cool and dust free. It also was aimed in the tent under the carport before getting the hexayurt setup. Either the pump or the float switch failed after a few days of running. An extra pump is critical if that happens, and it didn't take long to rewire a new one. Bring all the backup supplies needed.

Lag screws - They make setup and teardown a breeze. I had the small ryobi impact driver and it had no issues drilling in lag screws. The battery could only drill about 10 screws each before dying. I had 3 and didn't need to use them all. Having a car power inverter is all thats needed for recharging batteries.

Costco carport - Shelter in a box. This was the first item that was setup after we arrived. I never had the chance to setup the carport before the burn, but it was pretty easy. it just takes a while once its dark outside. When dealing with setup at night, ratchet straps are your friend. I had a 1000 feet of mule tape, but it was much simpler to hook up ratchet straps when it was getting late. I will probably use 14 straps on mine next time. The extra tarp under the roof was also a good idea, along with adding one to the sides. No matter how closed up it is, nothing can escape the dust.

Mule tape - it works great. Slip knots and truckers hitches work awesome, just remember to have a guide if you forget any rope skills. Mule tape works great and can be used for almost all tie downs. Ratchet straps are slightly easier to deal with in some scenarios though.

Tent with sheet clipped on it over the mesh. We had to stay in the tent for 3 nights under the carport. This did a good job for keeping a tiny tent with a small mesh cover from getting covered in a layer of dust inside. If it got hot, the swamp cooler worked great to cool it off. the backup plan scenario was needed for a few days.

Billboard vinyl - Yup. Great floor. It gets covered in dust within hours. We had enough space to make part of it a graywater evap pond.

Dry ice cooler - Ended up buying 70 lbs of dry ice the Saturday we left from Texas for 120 quart 6 day xtreme cooler. The last of the drumsticks was melting Friday. Ice cream in the desert is awesome. 2 weeks later when I got home, there was still ice frozen on some of the bottles inside, and the rest of the etouffee was still good to go so I heated it up.

Texas chopped brisket - desert greatness. I shared some brisket with my neighbors. Minds blown.

Cargo van - I looked at all the vans the enterprise near me had and they had tons of cargo room. I ended up with an e-250 which was not on the list and had much less space than the others. A hexayurt would fit in every model iIlooked at, but some had up to 11 feet and the E-250 had about 9 feet of length. Most didn't have roof edges. This model did, but I didn't plan for that. It also got around 13.5mpg for most of the 3800 mile round trip drive. The van was crammed full and there probably wasn't a 6" square of unused space in the back.

Oasis 29 - Indian tacos on the way into the fest was awesome. There was no line on Monday for tacos or to get inside the festival. It was closed on the way out late Monday night.

Monday arrival - no line. Wanted to arrive Sunday, but packing took longer than planned. It took 48 hours and 1700 miles from leaving the house until arriving to setup near my friends group of friends.

Biking into a white out in the playa. - This should be part of everyone's first burn. It is hard to describe what its actually like to be out in the middle of a whiteout by yourself getting blown by the wind on your bike and just watching things appear out of the dust. It is not hard to deal with if you are prepared, and Wednesday was like that most of the day.

Riding out into the esplanade the first time. Art car wonderland is something else to behold.

Homebrew and beer cart - I brought 7 kegs and went thru about 5 of them. Most of my distribution was to my neighbors or out on the beer cart. It took a few days of getting the hang of things before I just took out my beer cart and started yelling at everyone riding by to come get some beer. I had at least 15 people stop by at one time on a few occasions. I used up about 3.5 kegs doing this. It was my main gift to everyone, and it was crazy fun. I went thru 10 gallons of citra saison, lemon lime hefeweizen, and my grape soda which was really popular (carbonated grape mead). I didn't kill my keg of playa breakfast stout, so i will do that at home.

Neighbors - we camped in between a couple camps by 8:00 and Ilusion and made great friends with people next to us. We probably spent way too much time at camp, but it was fun. 4 person yurt party in the duststorm, that's how we roll.

Skipping Vegas - We had planned on going to Vegas the day after Reno, but we ended up missing the turn and getting stuck on the highway for a while and decided to go Colorado instead. This was a great idea, although we did end up skipping the grand canyon. My friend had never seen any of these places. I just wish we had more daylight. We got to stay at my friends house in the mountains near Denver and waking up to their mountain view was amazing.

Things that can be somewhat improved.

Feet management - I had some waterproof hiking boots and a bunch of meroni wool socks. The combo worked pretty well with no issues unless I forgot to take off my socks at night. I did that 3 times or so and it dried out my feet pretty well. I had a crack in the bottom of my foot by the end of the fest, but it was from drying skin. I still used lotion on my feet frequently. I never had major dust issues, but my friend had some alkali burns by the time she got home.

Packing - I planned on more space based on the selection of vehicles at the enterprise nearby. I got one they didn't have with less space and worse mileage. It still worked, but the packing issues were partly from a lack of coordination. Me and my friend never mapped what each of us were bringing, and I had the van packed with my stuff before my friend arrived with her stuff a few hours before leaving. We probably had 8-10 space saver bags vacuum packed and we used all the space available and had to figure out what we couldn't bring. We did not have vacuum packing capability at the burn which meant more volume on the way out. This became an issue at teardown when we couldn't fit everything inside the van and had to throw the tarps and trash on the van. The van was packed to where there was no free pace for reclining or anything. Having some free space is crucial to packing out which is listed below.

Camp lighting - Should have brought a regular lantern or more larger lights. I had tons of small flashlights and other stuff, but at night it was usually dark in the carport, The yurt was pretty easy to light up. I ended up using my lightsaber as a flashlight frequently. It was super bright.

Road supplies - The coolers with all the food got buried under a mountain of stuff along with the Emegen-C and a few other important things. Things would fall out when opening the door, and it wasn't until monday when we filled up water and ice at the hotel before arriving that we had access to it. My friend was feeling sick on the way and Emergen-C would have been great to have available, not to mention the pasta salad I made.

Cold weather gear - I was mostly good on cold weather pants and socks, but didn't pack any sweaters. Just long sleeve shirts and jackets. The jackets were more for outfits and wern't suitable for the cold at night. I ended up spending most of my nights in my jedi robe which was like a giant blanket that along with the lightsaber made for a great combo. This contributed to my playa name being Obie. I got called that a few times on its own, and I had a friend who calls me that from my last name. So it is a natural fit. Next time I will expand and see if i can get a flaming lightsaber together (I am serious on this).

Explore more: some things I heard about or saw in pictures that I never saw out there. That will always be the case, but I didn't climb on the rope bridge, ride the jet engine, or shoot the flamethrower. The weather was probably a big factor in this. It was hard to stay out late when it was getting cold. I did not hit up enough dance parties. I have never been all about dancing, but its funner at Burning Man than anywhere else. Will get out more next time. I did hit the skatepark, zipline, sextant tower, simon, the observatory, movie theaters and a bunch of other stuff.

Cooler management and food - We brought tons of food and a bunch never got used. we ended up with 2 large coolers and 2 small coolers, but they should have been consolidated better for ice management. The dry ice cooler and the main cooler worked great, but the others were inefficient and burned up ice along with getting soupy. I brought some reflectix to wrap the coolers with, but never got around to it. They were mostly fine off the ground and in the carport shade.

Things to improve.

Sleeping in the van - screw that. There was no room. I did okay one of the two times, but my friend didn't. The seats wouldn't recline at all. Hotel and motel rooms add up on the way, but there was no space for sleeping comfortably in the van. I did most of the driving also. 3800 miles were driven in 5.5 days.

Preparing for the Burn - I was pushing exhaustion for weeks getting stuff ready and staying up until 3am every night. Once it finally got to the Burn, it was easy. Preparing for it put me in the best shape I've been in for years, but it kicked my ass for a while. Doing everything last minute is a symptom for everyone I think, but it is good to have major items out of the way early.

Exit strategy - This wasn't preplanned since we had no time to coordinate that. Most of the gear was setup and torn down for the first time there, and it was hard to get all the final items into the van. Teardown and packing took all day Monday until after 2am, by the end my friend was completely exhausted so i just ended up packing the last items. It was much harder to pack it out, but we took it all with us from the playa. We ended up cramming clothes in every nook and cranny after having to pull out things and reorganize a few times. The van was packed to the gills before we could do anything with the trash, the roof was the only option. The extra gloves also got buried somewhere and were not available. Gloves for teardown and setup are pretty much mandatory to combat the playa dust. We did not book a hotel room in Reno and they were all sold out when we arrived after 5am. Motels were still good, but the party was at the sands.

The biggest fail was not disposing of the garbage on the way out of the fest. Exhaustion and being after 3am just had us go straight to Reno once we left. When leaving Reno, the best option at the time was to dispose of the trash to avoid shedding moop on the road home or damaging the roof of the van which got scratched up some already. We did roll by the dump, but it was already closed at the time. So an empty dumpster was used. This is getting me yelled at some, but the safety factor was more important than leaving no trace. I just should have checked it was okay with the owner, but it was already closed. Reno tends to be a huge dumping ground after the fest and it is probably the worst problem burners present to many communities. Next time I will handle it better. It was not that much trash, but it is a principle (no need to yell, go to the trash thread).

All in all, it was an incredible experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am not sure when I will make it out again, but I am still taking notes on what can be improved upon. Next year will probably be a vacation elsewhere, but i will see if I can hit up a regional or two. I plan to be back bigger and better next time I pedal out onto the playa. I can't wait to make it back home again.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Great recounting!

YOU WON BURNING MAN!!!

This post should be a 'required reading for virgins' ... :D

Daily vinegar/water baths for the feet and hands. 8)

you'll be baaaaack ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

silas thatcher

Post by silas thatcher » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:24 pm

daily vinegar and water baths for hands, feet, knees and elbows, followed up with coconut oil on all four....and chapstick whether you need it or not....

rudefruit
Camp Name: Not yet

Post by rudefruit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 am

- Fresh produce gives a real boost to the moral towards the end of the week. Take plenty of fruit and veg.
- Eat breakfast. Start the day right – it will pay dividends come the afternoon.
- Don’t lock your keys in the RV. It may mean that you have to break in through the skylight to regain access… :roll:
- Use the right tape to seal the windows otherwise you’ll be scrubbing for a long time post burn when you could be doing something way more fun.
- While the fridge in an RV is a nice luxury, it is not an absolute necessity. Ours didn’t work from the moment we picked up the RV and we were still able to cook a very hearty meal for 11 people on Monday night with what we had left at the end of the week. However, a little more planning of cooler storage space wouldn’t go a miss. Try to avoid things getting wet or sitting in the ice water.
- A shemagh/headscarf is an invaluable and multifunctional piece of kit. Bring more next time.
- A decent pair of goggles are definitely worth the investment.
- Disposable cameras can be great to capture moments while not worrying too much about breaking.
- Bring more mixers. You will crave some juice or a soft drink towards the end of the week.
- Go out of your comfort zone. You will grow.
- Sometimes it will be hard work. These times often turn out to be the most rewarding upon reflection.
- Get enough sleep. Pace yourself – you have plenty of time – you don’t want to burn out.
- Everyone is your friend. Talk to them. Tell your story. Listen to theirs.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:08 am

silas thatcher wrote:
saw your boat once from a distance, but never got a chance to see it closer....
Which tells us all you NEVER MADE IT TO THE EPLAYA MEET-N-GREET! :evil: :wink:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

mooserider
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:13 am

Good thread, Silas. I'd like to add to your comments with a few of my own.

I brought a whole bunch of incomplete projects (like the parts for a swamp cooler, etc.) expecting to finish them during quiet time before things officially started (I was that extreme rarity, a burgin with early access, due to being my camp's electrician). Not one of the incomplete projects even was resumed (let alone finished) during the entire time there. Could have saved several hundred bucks and a few hundred pounds not bringing that stuff.

Bizarrely enough, I actually had too much water and too many clothes. I actually had to dispose of 19 gallons of water to lighten up the RV for departure.

Related to that, the camp collectively tried to bring too much for our cargo capacity, and had to leave at home almost 4000 pounds of stuff our driving vehicles couldn't handle (and that's before getting the drinking water and food in Reno for the fly-in team). After renting a cargo van in Reno just to haul stuff in during early access (then return it before the main opening), we then had to dispose of excess water at camp strike so we would be light enough to take everyone out on the remaining vehicles during exodus.

I now see why some of the more critical volunteer positions don't want burgins. Despite being well-prepared, I didn't seem to have the time to volunteer anywhere but with my own art support camp (I did manage to do one shift with Lamplighters, but that was almost an accident). Sorry, Airport, I wish I could have gotten back to you.

And I missed tons of events I wanted to check out, but still saw some really cool stuff. Didn't meet some ePlaya people until Monday of exodus (our camp didn't leave until Tuesday morning). But the meet-and-greet was cool; I enjoyed actually seeing some the people I'd been typing at for the past year.

Recycle Camp really enjoyed it when I brought them my aluminum cans, and had a "problem" that some of the beer cans weren't emptied (or even opened) yet. :-) It was shocking that I drove home with 5 cases of beer left over. I did run out of margarita mixer, though.

Cheap-**** HF bicycle locks jam up with dust within a couple of days. I was running out of locks by exodus.

Bring more cups and face masks. I ran out of N95 dust masks by the regular opening day, and was darn lucky I had packed my old souvenir shemaghs. Who was so tasteless as to steal my 40-year-old vintage plastic Tupperware cup while I was in Planet Earth? At least they left my camelbak.

Serving root beer floats for dessert at a camp dinner was a high point

More thoughts as I think of them....

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Welcome to Burning Man, now expect ALL of the unexpected. It is completely capable of clusterfucking ALL of the best, well laid plans, and it will...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:31 pm

We always have too much water and too many clothes, but those are options I can live with.

We always come back with more cups and water bottles. People leave them at our art project. I leave them out in case their owners come looking, but generally they become gifts or part of our kitchen the next year.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 am

Anybody arriving in a vehicle should bring a basic set of hand tools and know how to use them. I became the unofficial "Mr. Fix-It" in my camp and helped others erect a dome with my power driver, zip ties, and step stool ladder; repair a broken battery cable connection on an RV, lending a pry bar for tent stake removal, removing the rear wheel from a yellow bike to free a young lady's neck scarf wound up in the rear sprocket, etc.

My best observation? Watching a clueless participant attempting to drive rebar stakes into the playa using a rubber mallet. Luckily, somebody got him a sledge hammer before a rebounding mallet knocked him out.

nathes2016

Post by nathes2016 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 pm

chapstick whether you need it or not....
The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October, 2015 at the Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:18 pm

nathes2016 wrote:chapstick whether you need it or not....
You need it. You just might not figure it out until Friday afternoon when it feels like your mouth may fall off and your lips are completely shredded...That salted margarita glass with real lime juice will be sure to remind you.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:44 am

I always have too much water. Once I hit the pavement again and blow the dust off I pour it all over the van. I didn't bring excess clothes, I just forgot to change pants for the first 5 days. (Early entry work.) :P
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

xzlostzx
Camp Name: Fish out of water

Post by xzlostzx » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:13 pm

The things I learned from my first burn are many, some too personal to share here, but a few I shall share with the group;
1) For me, I had to wear boots the entire time, tried four different types of footwear before I found that boots were all I could handle. Advice: Bring options! (so glad that I did have all those different choices with me)
2) Forget about the "she-wee" or other expensive female peeing aides, I used a paper plate rolled into a funnel like shape, worked like a charm! Way less expensive. Advise: Lifehack things before you spend bunches of money. (this occurred due to me misplacing my she-wee and it was a super cold night and my bladder needed to be emptied)
3) Take a time out if you need it. Expect the unexpected and go with it. As many threads on here and the internet have stated, plan for everything and don't try to force a situation to conform to what you want it to be. Advice: Take a nap or put yourself to bed if you are feeling off.
4) Biking and walking around both have their own benefits. Advice: make sure to have a mountain bike and good shoes (see number one)
5) Try all the things, even if you wouldn't normally do them. I am afraid of heights but despite that, I climbed on art pieces that allowed such a thing. So glad that I did! Advice: Do it, if for nothing else that to have a story later on.

These are only a few minor things that I learned my first time. By no means is this all, its just the tip of the iceberg.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 am

Please tell me you had a bag to put the used paper plate in, and did not leave it in the potty.

xzlostzx
Camp Name: Fish out of water

Post by xzlostzx » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 am

AntiM wrote:Please tell me you had a bag to put the used paper plate in, and did not leave it in the potty.
Guess I didnt clarify, this was in my own tent in the wee-hours and I was using a bottle and the plate because it was cold and I didnt want to leave my tent. I threw away the paper plate and drained the bottle in the porto. All my garbage was hauled off the playa with me.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 am

xzlostzx wrote:
AntiM wrote:Please tell me you had a bag to put the used paper plate in, and did not leave it in the potty.
Guess I didnt clarify, this was in my own tent in the wee-hours and I was using a bottle and the plate because it was cold and I didnt want to leave my tent. I threw away the paper plate and drained the bottle in the porto. All my garbage was hauled off the playa with me.
Bravo!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:25 am

AntiM wrote:
xzlostzx wrote:
Bravo!

which leads me to another truism.

Vodka is always clear, never yellowish.

that free bottle lying around may not be what it says it is.

always sniff first.
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:51 pm

Just as trucker tea in rest areas is not really tea.

Ammo
Camp Name: Spanky's Wine Bar

Post by Ammo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:13 pm

1. Wear thicker socks. My feet were fucked from the cheaper thinner socks I had and though I wore good Doc Martins, dust went through the sock drying my feet.
2. Lotion feet daily before putting socks on after a good cleaning and soaking in vinegar. Hands too!
3. Natural lip balms are much better than the menthol type chapsticks. It lasts longer and keeps your lips moisturized longer without the need to constantly reapply.
4. NASAL SPRAY!
5. N95 masks in your desert scarf if your lungs are super sensitive. I had to wear one in my tent sleeping because I got playa lung the first night in my tent. I was gifted an inhaler by a campmate which helped tremendously for this VERY dusty burn.
6. Don't bring anything that you aren't comfortable getting destroyed or losing. I wore a gorgeous bustle on my bike on the way to perform on the Midway stage and it got caught in my chain and was destroyed. I had to rip it out to save my bike. The remnants sit in denial in my costume room at home still. Maybe someday I will have the heart to figure out how to sew the damn thing!
7. Seaweed snacks were great for keeping up with the need for salt. Better than jerky in my opinion.
8. Drink that pickle juice! Drink that pickle juice with whiskey!
9. If you camp in a tent, a small battery operated fan for your face is great for when it gets hot.
10. Bring warmer clothing. I didn't realize it would get that cold. I slept through most of it, but I could have used more leggings to layer up with.
11. A camelbak is an excellent investment. Kept me with a days worth of water on my bike and fully hydrated my entire burn.
12. Knock first before opening porta potty doors. Especially if you have taken LSD at night. You never know when you will open a door to a giant viking looking man screaming in a death metal voice at you until you run off peeing yourself.
13. Volunteer! You meet new people, learn new things and it feels great!
She's locked and loaded, mostly loaded.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Ammo wrote: 8. Drink that pickle juice! Drink that pickle juice with whiskey!

Nah. Good tequila and sweet pickle juice!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 pm

AntiM wrote:Just as trucker tea in rest areas is not really tea.
For a second I was all . . . "Well, then, what . . . is . . i . . . Oh." :shock:
Ammo wrote: 12. Knock first before opening porta potty doors. Especially if you have taken LSD at night. You never know when you will open a door to a giant viking looking man screaming in a death metal voice at you until you run off peeing yourself.

13. Volunteer! You meet new people, learn new things and it feels great!
All of those were great, but these are my favorite. :lol:

cranberries
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Ammo wrote:1. Wear thicker socks. My feet were fucked from the cheaper thinner socks I had and though I wore good Doc Martins, dust went through the sock drying my feet.
2. Lotion feet daily before putting socks on after a good cleaning and soaking in vinegar. Hands too!
Foot care went really well for me last year! Surprisingly so :). What worked for me was to clean my feet before bed, put lotion on them, and then put on a thin pair of socks over that and sleep with the socks on. Then in the morning I put Sport Shield on my feet before I put on my socks (I wore a new pair of wal-mart crew socks each day). I wore my Converse slip-on tennis shoes all day, every day, they were super comfortable and I had no problems with blisters. I'm a triathlete and ultrarunner and I swear by Sport Shield to protect feet and prevent blisters, it's a silicon-based anti-chafing compound. Works wonders on the trail, apparently it works wonders at the Burn also!!!

Like many people I also brought too much food.

Somebody convinced me to zip-tie mylar space blankets to my tent instead of buying a reflective tarp... that was not a success. This year I'm getting a reflective tarp.

And I could have done a WAY better job of lighting up my bike, I just ran out of time and didn't really know what I was doing. I learned a lot from others last year and plan to be awesomely lit up this year!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Hmm... not a first burn, but on the subject of feet, last year was the first year that I wore my sandals during the day, rather than the near religious boot wearing of previous burns. I expected to suffer some cracked and wrecked feet, much like my hands, but it actually worked out great and my feet were none-the-worse for the experience.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm

BBadger wrote:Hmm... not a first burn, but on the subject of feet, last year was the first year that I wore my sandals during the day, rather than the near religious boot wearing of previous burns. I expected to suffer some cracked and wrecked feet, much like my hands, but it actually worked out great and my feet were none-the-worse for the experience.
If the air and dust could both get in AND out, and any sweat could evaporate immediately, that probably helped. That, and you weren't pounding nails with your feet. :lol:

I have determined that going barefoot or in loose flip-flops or sandals works out okay for me, too--for a few hours at a time, followed by the usual counter-measures.

Tight sandals or flip-flops where sweat can collect behind the toes, however = playa foot in several hours.

Even with loose sandals I need to be careful, as rebar abounds.

Cuts/lacerations are the number #1 reason for ESD visits.[/nerd alert]

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Cranberries, Welcome to ePlaya! It sounds like you draped the mylar blanket directly on the outside of the tent. You would get far less heat in the tent if you install it with an air gap, say, one foot above the tent. Heat gets thru the outer layer, but is then carried away by the breeze before getting a chance at the tent itself.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Savannah wrote:Tight sandals or flip-flops where sweat can collect behind the toes, however = playa foot in several hours.
Even with loose sandals I need to be careful, as rebar abounds.[/quote]

The sweat was one reason I was real hesitant about wearing sandals, because my feet tend to sweat a bit even when wearing sandals to the office. Out there though, they stayed nice and dry. Go figure...

This was also the year that I finally learned how to properly tie my shoe laces in a square instead of granny knot, which had plagued me in each prior BM. What a great year for footwear!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Stories”