Taller monkey hut?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
hooker

Taller monkey hut?

Post by hooker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:41 pm

I've had great success with my monkey hut over the last few years. It's tarp is 20 x 20 and it uses the usual 5 ribs made of 2 10 foot 1 inch PVC pipes each. I'd like to use a taller tent next year ( 6 ft. 6 inch Kodiak) and wonder if anyone else has built a taller monkey hut and had success. I'm hoping I can buy a larger tarp ( 20 x 30) and add one more length of PVC to each rib. Do I need larger PVC if my ribs will be 30 feet in length? Has anyone built something about like this? Any advice?
Thanks,
Jason

krly
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Taller monkey hut?

Post by krly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Hooker, I got a lot of useful info from user "Macglenver" as he uses a Kodiak under a tent/hut. Do a search for his name , and/or Kodiak.
krly

Capinator
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: SpaceHole

Post by Capinator » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:21 pm

We have three large monkey huts all with 1" PVC. One is made with 30' ribs at 3.5' spacing. We do a lot more cross bracing; cross brace every 5 feet. We also build a half dome at either end with a cover, so that it is "sealed". It has been very successful, but this year it was squished pretty flat in the high winds until we tied it off to the rack on my truck. We also had two new monkey huts this year with 25' ribs at 3' spacing. The are sealed at both ends with zippered half cones. I did a report on them a few posts down. They were amazing and largely not impacted by the wind this year.

hooker

Post by hooker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Captivator,
Do you remember what zipper you used and where you got it? Seems like the right zipper would be key. Also, how did you design the cones on the ends? Seems a bit tricky. I think I'm going to try to copy your design and put a Kodiak tent under it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Dye with Dignity has a huge/tall monkey hut. I'm sorry I don't know the dimensions but you could pm Tamara Kay and ask her. She's a sweetheart
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Ug, they keep blowing my cover. Just ask derby Dave I'm mean.

We built a hut to clear our airstream. We added the tube like you said, but we sleeve it together with the next smaller size pvc for added strength. If you look at dyewithdignity.com then the galleries you can see its present day incarnation. We use it as our public space now.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”