Where do I start? Lone Female Virgin from IL

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Justjen
Burning Since: 2016

Where do I start? Lone Female Virgin from IL

Post by Justjen » Mon May 23, 2016 1:52 am

I need Help, Help & MORE HELP! :shock:
Been dreaming about burning man for 15ish years now. Marriage, mortgage, kids & all that postponed my ability to attend for many years. The spark was again alive when last summer I came across one other human being that knew what the event even was and showed interest too. From that moment on, I was bound and determined to attend this year. With ticket in hand, I am now going at it alone. Again, I have no one in my current world attending. So I need major advice...

I will be travelling about 29 hours from Illinois to the playa alone. I have a truck and small travel trailer. Now, I have read, researched, and read even more about several the tips and some necessary items. Now, my questions...

Generator a must? Is a baffle box necessary? Do many people use them religiously? Will I need A/C or is a swamp cooler the way to go?

Shade structures? A monkey hut seems most widely used, will I need this large enough to cover my camper as well?

Grey water evaporation tips and tricks?

Are their better times for arrival, to avoid 6 hour entrance waiting lines?

1st timers tricks? Wish I woulda known? Should have done... Etc? From all you veterans!

I am a bit of an introvert, until I get to know others, then I am a talker. Any suggestions on how to jump in and get me out of my shell, my bed and camper? I have no "partner" to count on and push me.

Is it recommended to join a camp my first year as a lone female virgin or wing it myself? Are there any caravans that travel together? I am not against meeting new people, but I'd hate to get mixed in with a person that I don't "click with" and making the trip less than desireable for 29+ hours of driving and stops and all, but do see many advantages to a travel companion as well.

I am anxious, nervous, feel like every single spare moment should be planning and inventing & scraping together as much as I possibly can. Please please please guide me!

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated & I thank you in advance for any constructive criticizm as well.

Just please help guide my newbie self, all you experienced future fellow burner friends!

Thanks,
~ Justjen

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Where do I start? Lone Female Virgin from IL

Post by Elderberry » Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 am

Welcome.

Dig into the threads. You certainly do not need a generator, we go solar/battery with a swamp cooler, but we're a little more used to the environment. An AC can be a life saver for some. If you do get a generator, a baffle box is nice if it is one of the loud ones. Have you ever used one?

You do not need a monkey hut over the camper, it would be more for "front porch" shade as you will want to be in camp sometimes, and not sitting in your trailer.

Keep an eye on the rideshare boards, both here and the official one, see if you hit it off with anyone.

We bring old kitty litter jugs to haul our greywater back with us. We have an evap pond, but in cold dusty years, it doesn't work well. Crappy neighbors fill it up and that sucks.

Yeah, embrace the entrance lines. The moment you think you have it figured out, there will be a wreck on 447, or rain, and there you are. I like dawn arrival myself, and we were ten cars from Gate, and bam, three hour white out where we sat in place. Couldn't even see the porto potties nearby, one of which blew over. I tried to pee in a bottle sheltered by the bumper of the truck. That went sideways, literally. Plan as best you can. Have a go bag in your vehicle (goggles, dust mask, sunblock, work gloves, TP, water bottle, hat, snacks).

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 am

JustJen, Welcome to eplaya. Relax. Slow breaths. Huuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

OK. Now here is the only help you'll need. site:eplaya.burningman.org This is the search tool for finding info on eplaya.

Go to Google. The search engine on eplaya isn't much good.

Enter site:eplaya.burningman.org then leave a space and enter what is is you want to know.

site:eplaya.burningman.org monkeyhut
site:eplaya.burningman.org figjam cooler
site:eplaya.burningman.org join a camp

Read as much as you can. We'll fill in the blanks. I camp alone in a tent with no AC, no generator etc... You need shade, food and water.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Mon May 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Welcome - the above advice is all good. Shade, water, food, bike. Keep it simple and you will be fine. I camp with my VW van, and have a flat top shade over it, awning at the side door and on some sides. Keeping the sun off your truck/trailer is key. No generator but a small solar panel and battery box powers the fig jam swamp cooler. No evap pond, but have a black mason tray, sprinkler can and a 5 gallon bucket to haul out. Pee bottle or small potty to empty once a day into the johns.

Joining a 'camp' is a mixed bag. I volunteer at other camps and have witnessed some drama. Perks are food and showers. My camp 'VW Bus Camp" is very low key and has two rules: No Rules and No Dues

Lights are really nice - solar strings for your camp, copper EL wire for your clothes and bike.

You are gonna love it.

Luigi
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!
Yes, search and read on ePlaya. Most questions have been discussed before.
And I say "discussed", because there are often several answers, and certainly opinions. Me, I'm thinking shade over your camping trailer, with a considerable air gap. This method works very well with my bus -- I have no need for a/c.

Yes, carry your waste water back out.

Being shy and introverted.... Well, it is kind'a up to you yourself to put that behind you. In Black Rock City there is no reason to hold back -- everyone expects anyone to simply strike up a conversation; it's normal.
Wherever you see something interesting, you just walk up and ask about joining in.
That said, I suppose it might help if you camp with a group, so you have some "instant" connections.

Above all... if you are active here on ePlaya, by August you will have a pretty good idea about most things.
:D

And now the standard question I like to ask of all newcomers: What art or other contribution to you plan to participate with?
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon May 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Welcome Justjen. Each person does things their own way. I will swear by my ideas and techniques and others will disagree.
For a decade, I had no power, but brought a small power inverter just for good measure. I brought strings of white, battery powered Christmas lights for illumination. I made very little waste water and the evap pond was a small tarp with 2x4's to hold the water in.
Shade could be a large tarp over the camper with a sitting are off to the side. Remember that there will be neighboring camps and many new friends that will have shady places.
If you happen to forget something, you can always ask a new friend for assistance.
As far as cooling, I personally have never used any. I am all over the place during the day, and don't worry about staying still and keeping chilled. The nights can get cold, so bring warm bedding.
I hope these ideas help you a bit.
I hope to see you on eplaya joining in the conversations.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

if you bring water in jugs, 5 gallon bottles, or totes; pour grey water back into the empties. If you are using water to cook or rinse dishes, re-use it for washing, rinsing feet, etc. Then declare it waste and pour it back into the bottles and take them home for disposal.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon May 23, 2016 10:11 pm

Did we mention....
Read the main website; especially the Survival Guide and the other First-Timer information.
:D
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue May 24, 2016 1:08 am

Justjen wrote:I need Help, Help & MORE HELP! :shock:
Been dreaming about burning man for 15ish years now. Marriage, mortgage, kids & all that postponed my ability to attend for many years. The spark was again alive when last summer I came across one other human being that knew what the event even was and showed interest too. From that moment on, I was bound and determined to attend this year. With ticket in hand, I am now going at it alone. Again, I have no one in my current world attending. So I need major advice...

I will be travelling about 29 hours from Illinois to the playa alone. I have a truck and small travel trailer. Now, I have read, researched, and read even more about several the tips and some necessary items. Now, my questions...

Generator a must? Is a baffle box necessary? Do many people use them religiously? Will I need A/C or is a swamp cooler the way to go?

Shade structures? A monkey hut seems most widely used, will I need this large enough to cover my camper as well?

Grey water evaporation tips and tricks?

Are their better times for arrival, to avoid 6 hour entrance waiting lines?

1st timers tricks? Wish I woulda known? Should have done... Etc? From all you veterans!

I am a bit of an introvert, until I get to know others, then I am a talker. Any suggestions on how to jump in and get me out of my shell, my bed and camper? I have no "partner" to count on and push me.

Is it recommended to join a camp my first year as a lone female virgin or wing it myself? Are there any caravans that travel together? I am not against meeting new people, but I'd hate to get mixed in with a person that I don't "click with" and making the trip less than desireable for 29+ hours of driving and stops and all, but do see many advantages to a travel companion as well.

I am anxious, nervous, feel like every single spare moment should be planning and inventing & scraping together as much as I possibly can. Please please please guide me!

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated & I thank you in advance for any constructive criticizm as well.

Just please help guide my newbie self, all you experienced future fellow burner friends!

Thanks,
~ Justjen
Welcome JustJen!

All the answers are here. You sound anxious, but also like a planner--and a person with experience w/ that truck and trailer?--so you're probably going to be fine. Deep breaths! :D

Generator a must? I don't. If you do--baffle it. AC a must? Not for me. I do like a battery-powered fan in the mornings. I keep meaning to make a swamp cooler; maybe this is the year. :)

You can make a monkey hut big enough to cover your camper, but it would be just as useful adjacent to your camper. Have the open ends vaguely East-West, 'cause the wind tends to come from the south. Use the heavy silver tarps; blue tarps are fragile and noisy and flap like pterodactyls.

As AntiM says, evap ponds are vulnerable to dust drifts, strangers dumping stuff, and poor performance--carrying your grey water back home is easier than evaporating it--if you're prepared. You can also stand on a towel and mist yourself with a spray bottle, apply body wash and scrub, then spray again and towel off and hang up your towels. And don't forget the baby wipes. The triple pack of 168 plastic-wrapped wipes w/ the little snap-close lid are nice--not a box if you can help it; it dries out. Don't forget vinegar or lemon.

Bring a 100 oz detergent bottle and an oval-mouth automotive funnel if you'd like to save yourself a walk to the portos now and again (late night/early morning/out of reach of the portos while in line). Practice with the funnel at home to build the necessary confidence. :lol:

Tips for Shy People at Burning Man
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094

If you come in on Sunday or Monday it's going to be 3-6 hours to get in, but that's just part of the experience. Entrance is pretty festive really. Make sure you're well rested on your final approach--if you can help it.

Welcome! :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 am

There's no way I'd go in a truck and RV trailer without a generator and A/C.
Last year was unusually cold. Normally it's hot during the day. It's SO nice to be able to sleep in a dark cool dust storm proof place while everywhere else is out there suffering, justifying their ill-prepared misery by calling it "part of the experience".
The playa wears you down. Being able to escape and rest comfortably does wonders for your enthusiasm to get back out there and do stuff.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Justjen

Post by Justjen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Savannah wrote: Bring a 100 oz detergent bottle and an oval-mouth automotive funnel if you'd like to save yourself a walk to the portos now and again (late night/early morning/out of reach of the portos while in line). Practice with the funnel at home to build the necessary confidence. :lol:

Tips for Shy People at Burning Man
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45094

Welcome! :)
Savannah,

These are just the tips and tricks that I needed and more! Thanks a million!! The link was exactly what I needed, but never knew existed!

Justjen

Post by Justjen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:01 pm

... and yes, most of you are right! I am overly anxious & have myself all worked up. After all the prep and planning, maybe just maybe, I will try yoga or meditation to slow down some!!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:59 pm

A good place to start are your nearest regionals: http://regionals.burningman.org/regiona ... h-america/, regional events: http://regionals.burningman.org/events/ and their Facebook and other social media. Through them, you will meet new people, many experienced burners, some may actually live close, you could meet and see if they are a good candidate to share driving.

The burn has many similarities to a car camping trip you could take near your home. What is different are the range of clothing layers, the need for shade over your sleeping spot and front porch, dust specific protection, earplugs, illumination when you are out walking at night, and entirely optional costumes and accessories. Otherwise it's just a camping trip.

A great way to organize it is a packing list. There are many online. There are "packing list" eplaya threads and threads along the line of viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45809.

A good source besides all the links by helpful eplayans above is Jack Rabbit Speaks. A lot of it is just news, but the closer to the burn, the more it has very useful suggestions, updates and resources: http://burningman.org/culture/stories/jrs/archive/.

You are going to have a great adventure and come back completely refreshed!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “The Greeter's Station”