Cleaning Question

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Crimeless
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Proper

Cleaning Question

Post by Crimeless » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:52 am

Hello all,

This question goes out to the serious cleaners and customers.

I am considering renting a period costume from my theatre this year. I had planned on beating and dry cleaning the costume before returning. That said, I am wondering if you ever give special instructions to your dry cleaner. I live in FL, so Playa dust will be a whole new animal to my cleaner.
I also expect the bottom of the costume to drag and get quite dusty. Any tips (besides pin-hemming) to help keep it clean as possible.

Please weigh in with any ideas related. I really want to bring the costume, but I must be able to return it, in decent condition.

Thanks!

-Crimeless

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Cleaning Question

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:54 am

If you must return it in decent condition - don't bring it. The playa will trash everything and I have a ton of clothing and camping gear that the dust will not come out of.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:02 am

Well, the rule of thumb is never bring anything you can't afford to lose or have destroyed.

You can beat and vacuum the costume, but playa has a way of vanishing when you clean it, then reappearing. Yes, dry cleaning works for the most part. I would be worried about playa dust in the nooks and crannies and crevices, in any lace, trims, and embellishments. I have a suit coat which I wear for a few hours for one performance, and it dry cleans well, but I am not out and about in it, and it does not drag in the dust.

You plan is possible, but be aware you may end up replacing the costume rather than simply renting it.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am

Is it dark colored? Does it involve fur, suede, felt, or other porous material? The dust is gnarly. It gets everywhere and is hard to remove from clothing unless you can wet-wash it with vinegar water, and even then it can take multiple tries.
Dark colors will obviously show the white dust more. Faux fur? Forgetaboutit. That's a dust magnet.
If it could be lightly rinsed with water, wiped with a rag, or gently hand-washed, it might work. But don't count on getting your deposit back. Light colored satin, polyester, or "smooth" synthetic fabric might clean up better. Beware of seams/nooks/crannies.
You could TRY to only wear it around camp when the weather is calm, but the wind is unpredictable.

Crimeless

Post by Crimeless » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am

Yeah I was figuring on most of what you guys said. Fabric/lace would deffo be of concern. I will find out the cost to buy ("IF") and what I can do to hand clean before dry clean.

Thanks!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

I think it's a bad idea. The playa is really hard on things. It's gonna get pretty damn dirty.
Not only that, but renting a costume to go to Burning Man has "lame" written all over it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:16 am

I wouldn't bring it. Never the same after no mater what you do.

The whole "dragging" just disqualifies it.

One of two things will happen:

1. You become a slave to the garment and obses over it. No fun.

2. You say "fuck all", do your thing, ride a bike in it, jump on an art car and sit in some axle grease, a 6' Scandinavian goddess on stilts snags your skirts with her Valkyry walking spear ... And the thing gets ruined foreve.

Crimeless

Post by Crimeless » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I think it's a bad idea. The playa is really hard on things. It's gonna get pretty damn dirty.
Not only that, but renting a costume to go to Burning Man has "lame" written all over it.

Yes, but I haven't sewn a full Italian Renaissance costume since college. And even then I didn't make the whole garment, sooooo yeah.
If I was going to ATTEMPT such a massive undertaking, I would have needed to start last year.
Last edited by Crimeless on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:21 pm

I have dry cleaned sleeping bags and bedding after. Works. But I'm probably polluting the dry cleaning fluid beyond the capability of the cleaner's filters to remove. A sleeping bag has many fewer crevasses than a renaissance costume. But that costume would be welcome on the playa and you might find many movie industry costume designers on holiday at the event. But as others have noted, be prepared to buy it if cleaning is insufficient.

Personally I bring only water wash at home clothing and dedicated to the playa footwear and other things. My shade cloth I hang up and hose off. Bike, vinegar wash then hand wash.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Crimeless

Post by Crimeless » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Token wrote:I
One of two things will happen:

1. You become a slave to the garment and obses over it. No fun.

2. You say "fuck all", do your thing, ride a bike in it, jump on an art car and sit in some axle grease, a 6' Scandinavian goddess on stilts snags your skirts with her Valkyry walking spear ... And the thing gets ruined foreve.

These are probably the best reasons. :lol:

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Crimeless wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:I think it's a bad idea. The playa is really hard on things. It's gonna get pretty damn dirty.

Yes, but I haven't sewn a full Italian Renaissance costume since college. And even then I didn't make the whole garment.
Then perhaps it's high time you sat down, rekindle those forlorn skills, and make/assemble/invent your very own Renaissance outfit, maybe with a unique creative twist. Something you can call your own. Even if it isn't 'perfect', it is by your own hand, and I'll take that any day over something you rented. We want to meet you, not the rental.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:33 pm

I own many period costumes.
I will never take full garb out there.

Once, many years ago (Seven Ages of Man) I brought garb. It stayed in the bin cuz it was too hot and cumbersome for daytime and nighttime is dark, so a waste of finery.

I direct a Renaissance vocal group that came in toto in 2006.
We wore our caps and belts with sarongs and lingerie. Odd, but practical.

I manage a theater costume closet, there is no way in hell I would rent out one of our period costumes for BM.
I know that it would never recover.

The only pieces I take out there these days are leather; if it's oiled properly fore and aft it handles the dust just fine.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Crimeless,

I just did a Google & Google Image search for: Renaissance Clothing For Sale.

I think that if you did this, you could find many-many complete-suitable Renaissance outfits for less than $150 that look just great. Many more fine choices for females than for male.

I might purchase one or two of the female costumes for myself.

To be more specific, try this link:
http://www.buycostumes.com/c/themes/ren ... e-costumes
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Great idea, Meathunter!

Get a comfy, medieval/Ren Italian gown for a song, and then NOT CARE about the outcome!
If it survives, YAY!
If not, dedicate it to Mother Playa.

(My stuff is all period accurate and very expensive, and I need it to survive wearing).

The playa cares not for period accuracy (surprise); go for comfort and breathability!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:Crimeless,

I just did a Google & Google Image search for: Renaissance Clothing For Sale.

I think that if you did this, you could find many-many complete-suitable Renaissance outfits for less than $150 that look just great. Many more fine choices for females than for male.

I might purchase one or two of the female costumes for myself.

To be more specific, try this link:
http://www.buycostumes.com/c/themes/ren ... e-costumes
Awesome. I picked up one on sale. Maybe we'll be like twins Meathunter!!??
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Try Amazon.

Loads of Renaissance period outfits on there and you do not have to wait for most of it to arrive from China.

I just ordered one of these in "virginal" white for when I am a greeter at Media Mecca. My green-checked Shemagh from Palestine will look quite nice under the white hood and even better with goggles when the wind blows.

ZigZag. Depending on Gender one of us may have to be neutered to be identical twins...... :-)

Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”