Too late to rent an RV??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
JasperTallent
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Beaverton

Too late to rent an RV??

Post by JasperTallent » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 pm

I know this is a novice question (coming from a first timer too) but is it too late to rent an RV for this year's Burning Man? My travel plans changed recently and now I am hoping to find an RV. Any tips???

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Too late to rent an RV??

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:21 pm

That depends on where you are, which you failed to mention.
If it's any city close to the playa, forget it.
And shit, you can buy an older RV for less than renting one. Have you priced out what a BM RV rental costs? Screw that!
Get yourself a little old trailer and "glamp" it out. Paint everything inside in cool colors, get fun fabric for the seats and curtains, set up a super cushy bed, and spend less!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:37 pm

Check Reno Craigslist, locals here sometimes rent them out
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Hoverdave
Camp Name: Looking

Post by Hoverdave » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:45 pm

JasperTallent
Camp Name: Camp Beaverton

Post by JasperTallent » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:03 am

This is super helpful, thanks. I did fail to mention that I am coming from San Francisco (**groan**), so yes it does seem like everything is sold out. I've considered flying to LA to rent something and driving it up, but it seem like what that would cost in gas round-trip would be depressing.

I like the idea of potentially buying something - I do have a car that I could get a hitch for but I am worried about trashing my vehicle. A friend of mine says she would never drive her own car to BM because it would be ruined. I can't afford to ruin my car, but it does seem like people drive their personal vehicles to BM without a problem.

I have a request in for a Jucy van, not sure if they are sold out or not and haven't seen anything on these boards about folks' experience with them.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:28 am

Just looked at Craigslist and saw at least 5 decent deals for Vans in the 2000-3000 range which is what you could expect to rent an RV for (Probably more?) At least two were set up inside already. So if you have the cash to rent, do what the Captain said and BUY instead! Trick it out and have fun!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 am

I suppose being in SF means you've got nowhere to keep an RV or trailer of any sort.
I don't know if you've priced out RV rental, it would seem like the gas from LA is a drop in the bucket, the least of your worries.

Going to the playa won't ruin your car.
Get everything out of it and shut it and keep it shut while there. Keep the windows up and run the A/C on recirculate while entering and exiting. It'll get dusty but it will clean up.

If you have your own little rig, you can load it up at your own pace, and unload/clean it up afterwards at your own pace. Not rushing like mad to get a huge rig detailed out before check-out time immediately after BM when all you want to do is go home and unwind.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Post by winterdream28 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:36 am

I have taken my car two years now..... It get dirty dirty as heck.... but really the only part that messed up was due to my own doing. Double bike rack on the back of my little Kia caused rubbing and paint to wear. Other then that totally okay. You will need to clean your airfilter after thats it tho:)
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

DancesWithElves
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Distrikt

Post by DancesWithElves » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:16 am

The place we're renting from in Sacramento still has some available. PM me and I'll give you all of the details.

-See you all soon!
DWE
She who must be obeyed

dustyfux
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Break It Down

Post by dustyfux » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm

If you got the cash it's never too late. Majority of rental RV's were scooped up earlier this year but plans change and people bail out.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”