Partying during Early Arrival?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Jackass

Re: Partying during Early Arrival?

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Hey, there will be no enjoying yourself while on vacation damn it!!

It's not in the book...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

thnkfl wrote:So Sparr -- after all this, inquisitive minds want to know: will you be arriving early and, if so, are you going to party?
Yes, and yes. And telling other first timers the same.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:18 pm

sparr wrote:
thnkfl wrote:So Sparr -- after all this, inquisitive minds want to know: will you be arriving early and, if so, are you going to party?
Yes, and yes. And telling other first timers the same.
Let me try to drop my personal interpretation in here.
Early Arrival passes are meant for people who are setting up their camps and required to be on the playa early to make things happen. The event officially starts on Sunday night at midnight or Monday morning at 12:01AM.
While it's not party time until the event opens, people do play music and let off steam--and that may appear to be partying to some. It's discouraged (and not really allowed) for people to get EA passes just to start whooping it up early.
For those coming early just to start partying, you may be placed inside a giant plastic ball with Sparr, and rolled around the playa in the wind until you both hurl on each other.

Thank you for listening. 8)

Hoverdave
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Looking

Post by Hoverdave » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 pm

thnkfl wrote: For those coming early just to start partying, you may be placed inside a giant plastic ball with Sparr, and rolled around the playa in the wind until you both hurl on each other. 8)
I would pay extra to see that!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Careful!!!!

That might be considered "partying during early arrival"!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

thnkfl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

Post by thnkfl » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:55 am

Hoverdave: it was Sham who you quoted, not me. (No offense taken.)
Make it, enjoy it, let it go.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:18 am

A recent post on the BM Journal announcing that the gate will open 10 hours earlier at 12:01am on Sunday included this verbiage;
The official start of the event is still 6 pm Sunday. We’re asking everyone to use the extra time to focus on getting your camp set up, and to refrain from getting your freak on until the official start Sunday evening.
So it seems like it's not just EA when you're not supposed to party.

sparr

Post by sparr » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:49 am

Jovankat wrote:So it seems like it's not just EA when you're not supposed to party.
This is the sort of misinformation I'll try to make sure other newbies in my camp and elsewhere know not to rely on.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:02 am

Go get em tiger.
sparr wrote: This is the sort of misinformation I'll try to make sure other newbies in my camp and elsewhere know not to rely on.
Go get 'em, tiger.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:26 pm

That's coming directly from the BMOrg though, it seems legit.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 am

I don't want to start another thread on something related...

Anyone know if it's kosher for me to use a vehicle to go across the city to pick up my gear from the NYC container on Saturday, pre-gate?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:11 am

Leap - yes, you may use a regular vehicle before the gates open to go retrieve gear from the NYC container. As always, keep it under 5mph (keeps dust from kicking up too much and minimizes ruts), and avoid driving on the Esplanade.

As for the rules against partying pre-event, I think placement does a great job of explaining the situation. Kicking back and having a few drinks before the event's start time (this year that's 6pm Sunday) is absolutely fine, but please no big parties. At issue is the Bureau of Land Management, if they start seeing that a lot of early arriving camps and projects are just coming in early to start the party early, it adds fuel to their argument for charging the higher event rate per day, versus the significantly less setup or staging rate per day. Placers generally keep a pretty good eye on their sectors (each of the Burning Man neighborhoods), if they see someone getting out of hand they'll say something to people at that camp, and if it's a significant or recurring issue you can be sure it will affect that group's ability to arrive early (or even get placed) in the future. I believe the DMV also instructs mutant vehicle drivers that there should be no mutant vehicle cruising before the 6pm Sunday event start time.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 am

trilobyte wrote:Leap - yes, you may use a regular vehicle before the gates open to go retrieve gear from the NYC container. As always, keep it under 5mph (keeps dust from kicking up too much and minimizes ruts), and avoid driving on the Esplanade.

As for the rules against partying pre-event, I think placement does a great job of explaining the situation. Kicking back and having a few drinks before the event's start time (this year that's 6pm Sunday) is absolutely fine, but please no big parties. At issue is the Bureau of Land Management, if they start seeing that a lot of early arriving camps and projects are just coming in early to start the party early, it adds fuel to their argument for charging the higher event rate per day, versus the significantly less setup or staging rate per day. Placers generally keep a pretty good eye on their sectors (each of the Burning Man neighborhoods), if they see someone getting out of hand they'll say something to people at that camp, and if it's a significant or recurring issue you can be sure it will affect that group's ability to arrive early (or even get placed) in the future. I believe the DMV also instructs mutant vehicle drivers that there should be no mutant vehicle cruising before the 6pm Sunday event start time.
You can't cruise, but if you are using your MV for setting up your art (retrieving tools, ferrying workers etc.) you are allowed to drive it. You will need a pre-event sticker on it though. I believe I got it from the Artery but am not sure. Anyone?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:52 am

My understanding that any stickers for driving on the playa (particularly for pre-event art setup) would be issued by the ARTery).

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 am

Leap wrote:I don't want to start another thread on something related...

Anyone know if it's kosher for me to use a vehicle to go across the city to pick up my gear from the NYC container on Saturday, pre-gate?
Bring a friend if you can. You will probably have to move many, MANY things out of the way to find your stuff.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 am

VultureChow wrote: Bring a friend if you can. You will probably have to move many, MANY things out of the way to find your stuff.
Holy cow is this one of those things where I have to pull everything off until I find mine and then reload the container?

Thanks everyone!

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:31 am

trilobyte wrote:Leap - yes, you may use a regular vehicle before the gates open to go retrieve gear from the NYC container. As always, keep it under 5mph (keeps dust from kicking up too much and minimizes ruts), and avoid driving on the Esplanade.
Good to know. I am at 2:30 and G and need to get to Kostume Kult at 8 and Esplanade. Cutting across the playa is bad form or is it just cruising down the Esplanade? if so should I just take G the whole way around?

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:37 am

There's no driving on the open playa unless you have either a staff permit (ie: DPW) or a mutant vehicle registration sticker. You'll need to stay on the city streets to get where you're going. No cutting across.

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks Sham.

I just wrote burnerexpress@burningman.org to ask if I can use the shuttle to traverse on Saturday in case I can't borrow a vehicle. Anyone here have experience with it?

I'll have a collapsible hand truck with me and I am not opposed to walking. Perhaps since it is Saturday I would be less tempted with distractions and could go there and back in a few hours.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:42 am

I thought Esplanade and A were also off limits for that sort of driving too?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:57 am

Can you drive along the man side of Esplanade, but not on it?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:17 am

Jovankat wrote:I thought Esplanade and A were also off limits for that sort of driving too?
They are, but pre-event you probably could get away with A. B would be fine, I think.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:58 am

Driving should not happen on A once the gates open (like Esplanade, it's barred from mutant vehicle traffic all week), but is the preferred/recommended way for Esplanade camp folks to get to their camps (most camps placed at Esplanade go back the full depth and have an access road). Upon arrival, check with your placer (or have your camp lead check with your placer) to find out what they recommend.

Unless you're a Burner Express passenger, you should probably avoid trying to use their passenger shuttle.

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:34 pm

I am a BXB passenger. They wrote me back and said as long as I let the driver know, all good.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Perhaps since it is Saturday I would be less tempted with distractions and could go there and back in a few hours.
LOL, good luck with that one...

Leap

Post by Leap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

:P

sparr

Post by sparr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Jovankat wrote:That's coming directly from the BMOrg though, it seems legit.
That's what I thought last year, although it turns out I was mistaken about the origin. I'll let other EA virgins this year know that that suggestion isn't seriously followed, and they shouldn't plan on it.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 pm

NOW I remember you... it was junior high, you were the hall monitor!! Jimmy! How have you been?!! Small world.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Those hall monitor guys always ended up at the football games with 2-way radios, ratting everyone out for anything.

Wannabe junior cops.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:52 pm

This year is a different animal. Comparing and making recommendations based on previous years is probably a good way to be confused and/or disappointed. New this year, Bus passengers can arrive on Saturday without EA passes, and Saturday EA passes are easier to come by for theme camps, and the general gate opens at Midnight. These are all new aspects that are untested and different from previous years that will affect the character of EA, esp on Saturday. Oh my! Something unexpected might happen!

Return to “Philosophical Center”