Finding a new MOOPhole

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Finding a new MOOPhole

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Doesn't matter what you specifically ban, or how generally you phrase not letting ANY foreign material stay behind. They'll keep finding creative ways to get around it.

Or in this case, they've gotten lazy and literally throw handfuls of unrecoverable MOOP directly on the playa.

maladroit

Re: Finding a new MOOPhole

Post by maladroit » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Another beautiful example of self expression. You can even see that shit scattered directly on the playa in the background from some other photo.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Jamen Percy - Go let him know he is a total dick.

He has a website.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Who are those people? Looks like they could easily fit in at one of those pricey plug-n-play camps.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Hmm, yet another set of images cementing my growing dislike of burner media.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:27 am

Token wrote:Jamen Percy - Go let him know he is a total dick.

He has a website.
No comment area, such a clever boy. And so many feathers too. Extreme MOOPhole. Pfeh.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 am

Che's got a fb page, you can comment there. For now :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 am

For once the feathers are the LEAST offensive and moopy part of the photo.
Sic Semper Spectatores

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 am

you rang?

WE RIDE!

..and by now one would think that you guys would expect this already from a feather mohawk wearing photographer from Shutterstock..

Hey. At least anyone can purchase these photos for the bargain basement price of only $5/each! Thanks, playa! Now GTFO.

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:30 am

Shenanigans are afoot. Photog knows what they did was wrong and is sanitizing the feed.

Invited people to visit him at "Firefly Boudoir" around 3 and J.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 am

Claims he photoshopped out the plastic sheeting. I would LOVE to see the originals.
Sic Semper Spectatores

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:16 am

Album now private? LOL. Whoops. Should've just added the shots with the plastic tarps so we could all embrace what a good burner he is.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Guys, just to let you know I was given full authorization to use the effects on the playa, the biodegradable holipowder left no trace on the playa, for the intense shots I put down plastic sheets to catch the powder and to protect the playa as well as to reuse the powder for another photo, nothing goes to waste :)
Playa Cock admits leaving some of the powder on the playa. FYI biodegradable holi powder is corn starch or rice flour with dyes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/com ... cy/d7uvjwa

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Yeah, sure showed him!

Who do we crucify next?

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 pm

I agree burners can be over fierce in commenting on and enforcing their interpretation of the event culture.

But for completeness, many dyes, especially saturated colors, include toxic inorganic elements that can be metabolized. They are not biodegradable. Breathing or ingesting many is very toxic. Mixing them with starch doesn't make them biodegradable. But maybe we'll get some rainbow mutated brine shrimp!

The reusing the dye comment is bogus. Once the colors are mixed, it's grey. And note they are so proud of their project they took down the Flickr link.

Of all the things the performers could do in a photo shoot on playa, this seems like one of the more unnecessarily foolish choices. Hope the Artery does not approve future projects of this type.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

maladroit wrote:
Playa Cock admits leaving some of the powder on the playa. FYI biodegradable holi powder is corn starch or rice flour with dyes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/com ... cy/d7uvjwa
You know, my septic tank has proven beyond a doubt my shit is 100% biodegradable but I still don't crap on the Playa.

Just sayin'

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Eh, the guy screwed up, should have owned up to it. Still, not that egregious. His photoset is one of the better ones I've seen, as well.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:15 pm

vargaso wrote:Eh, the guy screwed up, should have owned up to it. Still, not that egregious. His photoset is one of the better ones I've seen, as well.
Agreed. Some very cool shots. Bummer he made it private.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Yes I do agree that the BM community can be aggressive in defending the culture/event from perceived threats. I like to make light of it but generally the aggressive outing of un-principled behavior is something I support. It helps keep the community accountable.

Which the douche nozzle that inspired this lovely conversation is not. Everyone fucks up. Own it and you win respect.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I don't personally give a crap about super small size moop, as long as it's not actual trash or junk left behind. It's a goddamm dead desert. OK sure there's microscopic organic shit going on. So what.
I only care that the site passes the BLM white glove test.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I don't personally give a crap about super small size moop, as long as it's not actual trash or junk left behind. It's a goddamm dead desert. OK sure there's microscopic organic shit going on. So what.
There is logic here, at least more logic than many practices like "if you filter and bleach your gray water it's ok to put on the playa" etc.

However, a bunch of dye seems exactly suited to fail a BLM white glove test. We can hope they scuffed up all the colors and turned it gray before leaving the scene.

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I don't personally give a crap about super small size moop, as long as it's not actual trash or junk left behind. It's a goddamm dead desert. OK sure there's microscopic organic shit going on. So what.
Yep. And that dye more than likely blew away quickly and dissipated into nothing. It's powder for chrissakes. Not that is should be encouraged, it's just not that big a deal, all things considered. My biggest issue with this guy is not owning his small mistake.

Question: does the BLM only look for trash or would something like oil residue from a leaking car be counted against us?

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Let me randomly drop in this factoid: The Black Rock Desert that we know and love, (mostly the perimeter close to the road) was once a dumping ground for the locals who needed a place for their junk cars, old appliances, household trash, endless empty beer cans and bottles and anything else they wanted to dispose of. (this was told to me by a family in Gerlach)

When Burning Man came in, the entire place was cleaned up and cleared out. We now have the BLM scouring the playa surface with magnifying glasses looking for stray sequins.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:14 pm

To add to Sham's post:

I've a burner friend who now lives in Gerlach. At least twice a month, year round, she patrols the playa roads and the hot springs with her battered pickup truck to recover all of the crap that gets dumped out there.

Couches left at Frog Pond, trash o'plenty, she's even hauled a couple of bullet ridden auto corpses off the playa.

She's a teeny cancer survivor in her 70's.
She cares a great deal about our dusty home.
As do most all of us here.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Sham wrote:Let me randomly drop in this factoid: The Black Rock Desert that we know and love, (mostly the perimeter close to the road) was once a dumping ground for the locals who needed a place for their junk cars, old appliances, household trash, endless empty beer cans and bottles and anything else they wanted to dispose of. (this was told to me by a family in Gerlach)
There are people on the playa right now who would consider it news to hear that practice has ended.

I know, right, it was worse once. The BLM is picky. But these are the rules we have to live with now, and it's OK to get pissed off seeing some numbnuts spin around throwing bright powder on the ground after you spent the week scrabbling in the dirt to grab a tiny piece of food or single bead of styrofoam.

vargaso

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Sham wrote:Let me randomly drop in this factoid: The Black Rock Desert that we know and love, (mostly the perimeter close to the road) was once a dumping ground for the locals who needed a place for their junk cars, old appliances, household trash, endless empty beer cans and bottles and anything else they wanted to dispose of. (this was told to me by a family in Gerlach)

When Burning Man came in, the entire place was cleaned up and cleared out. We now have the BLM scouring the playa surface with magnifying glasses looking for stray sequins.
I'm glad there are standards we have to adhere to, but the strictness of them is more about government agencies putting the squeeze on an event some feel both morally opposed to and opportunistic about than anything else, in my opinion.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:36 pm

vargaso wrote:Question: does the BLM only look for trash or would something like oil residue from a leaking car be counted against us?
BLM definitely doesn't like big oil stains. Many responsible people will slide a piece of wood under their vehicle if they know it leaks.

I saw someone who was nervous about the little dark marks your car tires leave on the playa after sitting for a week, so they would put down little pieces of plywood and roll the car up on those. Now that seems like overkill.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:44 pm

I just dont get the confusion.

Dear Mr. Camera Guy: When you came there was no dye on the ground. When you left, THERE WAS DYE ON THE GROUND. See the problem?

Clean it up, asshole.

Simple, really...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Since we are bringing up history, y'all know this was a gunnery range at one point last century.

If you go exploring long enough you can find some interesting stuff out there.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:20 pm

The wood under the tires thing is usually about making sure you don't sink as bad if it rains.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Philosophical Center”