Low Income Ticket Program

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Low Income Ticket Program

Post by shroom » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 am

I've read the details about the program. Has anyone applied and gotten one or been denied? If you got denied, were you able to get a ticket in the next tier? (if you had the funds of course)

I really want to return home this year, it's been way too long, and a lower ticket price would help me tremendously. I'll take any advice. Thanks in advance!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Re: Low Income Ticket Program

Post by Elorrum » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:08 am

Geez, I'm getting close to needing this.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

shroom

Post by shroom » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:11 am

I've been in bad shape financially for a while now. Part of the reason that I haven't been able to get back home.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:54 pm

I have two friends who got low income. The first was many years ago. he worked for the State of California and indeed made little money, but certainly not poverty level. I don't think there is a "maximum" one can make to apply - it is all situational. I suppose if you make even pretty good money, but have had massive healthcare bills this year AND run an established theme camp, you would have some luck. My second friend who has gotten low income the last few years is a core member of our placed camp, works at the food co-op and just doesn't make all that much money. She is a contributing member of Black Rock City, both within our camp and as a part-time volunteer on and off playa, so again, although she is not living on poverty wages, she is the kind of person they want to afford that opportunity. That hundred or so difference in price allows her to buy some water, food and booze for the event. Would she still attend if she didn't get low income? Probably. But she would suffer in Default for it. Does she contribute to the community on playa and year-round? Definitely.

shroom

Post by shroom » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for posting! Good insight.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm

shroom wrote:I've read the details about the program. Has anyone applied and gotten one or been denied? If you got denied, were you able to get a ticket in the next tier? (if you had the funds of course)
I've applied and gotten one on one year, and then applied and was denied another year. It's supposedly not allowed by the program to purchase a ticket in the next tier if you're declined for a Low Income Ticket. If that were possible everyone would be applying for LI tickets as a backup/alternate plan. It's for people who have no other means to participate.

The application process involves answering several questions with lengthy essays about yourself, your life as it is, what your ambitions/ideal life would be, your interpretation of what Burning Man is culturally, what you intend to contribute, how you intend to participate, and so on.

The first year I did it I thought it was an interesting opportunity for reflection. But in light of the problems of recent years involving plug-and-play camps and walled camps of exorbitantly rich people, I think it would be better for Burning Man if high income participants were required to answer those sorts of questions, rather than only low income burners. I mean, let's be real. Low income people have never exhibited a lack of ingenuity and creativity in the creation of culture. Frankly, rich people in general are much more worthy of having their motives questioned, having their understanding of participation questioned, their understanding of what it means to create inclusive community spaces, and their ability to create original artwork.
Ain't it a groove?

shroom

Post by shroom » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:55 pm

thank you!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote: Low income people have never exhibited a lack of ingenuity and creativity in the creation of culture. Frankly, rich people in general are much more worthy of having their motives questioned, having their understanding of participation questioned, their understanding of what it means to create inclusive community spaces, and their ability to create original artwork.
BINGO. +1000. THIS!!!!!!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:58 am

I've applied for low income tickets the last three years and been accepted every time. Turned out I couldn't make the first year after all but the last two years I was able to get one and use it. I'm going to be applying for one again this year. Only way I can afford all this is to save as much money as possible and this helps.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”