First time burner camping

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
SolarPlexus
Burning Since: 2017

First time burner camping

Post by SolarPlexus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:41 am

Experienced camper/ravers. First time burn need some advice for my girlfriend and I set up.. were renting 7 days tuesday August 29th - tuesday sept 5th. Our concerns are comfort/sleep and keeping dust in the rental somewhat acceptable. These are our current ideas.if you have any advice for 1 & 2 please fill us in! Much love happy burn

1. $720 - mini van, cover it in mylar, put it under a car port. Sleep in back with blow up mattress

2. $680 - 10' foot U-hual, wrap in mylar, elevated air matress, shade structure infront of bay door.

3. $1,830 - RV with all the luxuries.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: First time burner camping

Post by Meat Hunter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:29 am

What seeing eye said below.....
Last edited by Meat Hunter on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Welcome to ePlaya. Suggest you post over in the Greeters Station section about where you are from and what is attracting you to the event.

There is a lot of preparation information on the burningman.org website. You can search for combinations of rental dust cleaning tips and tricks RV car Box truck using Google with site:eplaya.burningman.org. That will answer your questions.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:45 pm

4) Tell me where you got that awesome rate on an RV.
Sic Semper Spectatores

SolarPlexus

Post by SolarPlexus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:27 pm

VultureChow wrote:4) Tell me where you got that awesome rate on an RV.
RVshare.com

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:31 pm

You might research "renting from a private party" and burner friendly rentals as well. Many rentals prohibit taking their vehicles to burningman.

After the event, you might budget a day at the laundromat to wash the dust off everything and dry it.

Packing lists are your friend. You will need more items than Shambala or just camping along the way. There are many lists to download from the Internet then customize.

If you search for regionals on the main website, you can meet a ton of experienced burners in person right near you in Jersey. Do it sooner rather than later. Often burners sell or exchange useful supplies. They may even have some playa dust to show you!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:20 am

My first thought was that Mylar would be very moopy if it got shredded by the wind. There will be wind.

The only way to keep dust out of your vehicle is to not take it. As others have & will say. Do a search on this. There's lots of ideas about this.

Welcome to ePlaya.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 am

Meat Hunter wrote:What seeing eye said below.....
What the.......How did you know what he was going to say 1/2 hour before he said it.

So when you say "it was better next year" you know what your talking about.

That's just spooky man :mrgreen:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:15 am

And what BBadger said was spot on.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 am

Oh. You're from Jersey? We're in montclair if you'd like to meet up and see the crazy lists and shit we do to make it at burning man.
Sic Semper Spectatores

SolarPlexus

Post by SolarPlexus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am

VultureChow wrote:Oh. You're from Jersey? We're in montclair if you'd like to meet up and see the crazy lists and shit we do to make it at burning man.
That would he awesome! Add me on insta ! NoahZangari

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 am

Hmmm, people don't seem to be actually responding to your question, so here's my take:

Skip the RV, although that is an incredibly good price.

Get the Uhaul. They are totally good with people bringing them to Burning Man, and I've had several friends who were able to clean and return them with no extra charges. Yes to the shade structure in front of your opening doors, no to shade over the van. Shading the van will give you a few more moments of daytime sleep, but if it gets hot, just roll out onto the ground under your shade structure.

My last bit of advice would be, bring a beater tent - something you snag off Craigslist for $40.00. Set up your van, with shade off of it, and a tarp so you can walk from your van to your beater tent without touching the dirt. Load all your food and water and supplies and clothes in to the tent. Use the uhaul for sleeping and to lock your valuables, but not to get into all your supplies. By day three, all of your stuff will be everywhere. You will be dressed and ready to go out for the night, but looking for that ONE thing. This will be during a dust storm. You will keep your rental clean, because you will be going on the desperate search for THE THING in your tent and not in your clean sleeping space. Your living space is under that shade, your storage space is in the tent, and the van is for sleeping and sleep-adjacent activities only.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 am

SolarPlexus wrote:
VultureChow wrote:Oh. You're from Jersey? We're in montclair if you'd like to meet up and see the crazy lists and shit we do to make it at burning man.
Sent. We have a virgin who is also at Rutgers who may be camping with us this year.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 am

Everyone is doing a great job helping steer you... the one thing I'm gonna add is about renting an RV. Unless they know you're taking it to Burning Man and they know what Burning Man is like and what the playa is like, and are fine with that, don't take someone's rig out there.
Expect to be beaten to a bloody pulp when you bring the thing back totally trashed, which IS what's gonna happen.
It's not like anywhere else. That fine, talcum powder-like dust blows, sometimes to the point you can't even see, and it will be everywhere. Simply washing the rig afterwards won't fix it. And that stuff is super corrosive, it's bad for everything like wiring and connections and electrical components - the stuff RVs are full of.

Yes, lots of people being RVs, including me.
Since the man was still on the ground (eons ago) I've never been to BRC without one and I wouldn't go without one.

What I'm cautioning you about is bringing someone else's and knowing how trashed it's gonna get out there.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

SolarPlexus

Post by SolarPlexus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Everyone is doing a great job helping steer you... the one thing I'm gonna add is about renting an RV. Unless they know you're taking it to Burning Man and they know what Burning Man is like and what the playa is like, and are fine with that, don't take someone's rig out there.
Expect to be beaten to a bloody pulp when you bring the thing back totally trashed, which IS what's gonna happen.
It's not like anywhere else. That fine, talcum powder-like dust blows, sometimes to the point you can't even see, and it will be everywhere. Simply washing the rig afterwards won't fix it. And that stuff is super corrosive, it's bad for everything like wiring and connections and electrical components - the stuff RVs are full of.

Yes, lots of people being RVs, including me.
Since the man was still on the ground (eons ago) I've never been to BRC without one and I wouldn't go without one.

What I'm cautioning you about is bringing someone else's and knowing how trashed it's gonna get out there.
Great insight thank you! I would never be dishonest in my quest for comfort! (Girlfriend in mind) however out of respect i have thought of an idea to minimize playa dust, i would like you thoughts on butting a cargo port to the rv door, using such as a staging area, kind of a strip bare then go in the rv kind of situatin. The cargo port will minimize dust from the door opening and closing! Thoughts? :)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Well that will actually help. Not wearing your shoes inside goes a long way too.
I keep mine shut tight almost all the time and run the A/C. You can get gas out there (dirty little secret) from Haymaker Fuel.
My big secret weapon is a Rainbow vacuum cleaner, the ones they used to sell door-to-door for stupid $$, that have a bowl of water in the bottom instead of a dirtbag (ha... I just got to use "dirtbag" in a legitimate sentence). If you get dusted, you just turn that thing on and vacuum away, the water is the only thing Ive ever seen that can filter out playa dust.

The other biggest piece of awesomeness you can bring to BRC - and I highly recommend this - is an air compressor.
Not many people do, but I'm telling you, it's a playa wonder tool. You can blow the dirt and dust out of your clothes, out of your hair, off of your stuff, it just rocks. One of those "pancake' style job site sets works well. You need generator power, but if you've got an RV you've probably got that. Get a blow gun and lots of air hose, at least 50 feet. You'll want to reach all around your camp.

Bring GOOD, expensive gaffer's tape or painter's tape. Spend the $$ for the good stuff, cheap tape you will regret after it bakes in the sun for a week. There will be places dust gets in... I always tape up the little access hatches on the sides for the battery box, power cord, etc. Often these hatches are wide open to the inside of your cabinets, which will fill with dirt during a dust storm.

That's a bunch of heavy machinery... but the air compressor - that's a freekin' Wonder Tool in BRC.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Flying Monkey, Yes. Meat hunter is psycho. But I figure he posted some lame advice and then saw some really great advice and deleted his. (After my mind jumped through a few hoops to get there.)

I recommend stucco tape. It's better than painters tape. Cheaper than gaffers tape. Leaves no residue even after being baked. Comes in all different styles and brands.

Hi Meathunter. I haven't forgotten about you.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SolarPlexus

Post by SolarPlexus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Chowski wrote:Hmmm, people don't seem to be actually responding to your question, so here's my take:

Skip the RV, although that is an incredibly good price.

Get the Uhaul. They are totally good with people bringing them to Burning Man, and I've had several friends who were able to clean and return them with no extra charges. Yes to the shade structure in front of your opening doors, no to shade over the van. Shading the van will give you a few more moments of daytime sleep, but if it gets hot, just roll out onto the ground under your shade structure.

My last bit of advice would be, bring a beater tent - something you snag off Craigslist for $40.00. Set up your van, with shade off of it, and a tarp so you can walk from your van to your beater tent without touching the dirt. Load all your food and water and supplies and clothes in to the tent. Use the uhaul for sleeping and to lock your valuables, but not to get into all your supplies. By day three, all of your stuff will be everywhere. You will be dressed and ready to go out for the night, but looking for that ONE thing. This will be during a dust storm. You will keep your rental clean, because you will be going on the desperate search for THE THING in your tent and not in your clean sleeping space. Your living space is under that shade, your storage space is in the tent, and the van is for sleeping and sleep-adjacent activities only.
Spectacular advice, thank you so much, ive found your comments on various other posts very informative aswell! Valuable contributions to a community I'm excitied to be apart of! Cheers to you and everyone else who commented

SolarPlexus

Post by SolarPlexus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 pm

VultureChow wrote:
SolarPlexus wrote:
Sent. We have a virgin who is also at Rutgers who may be camping with us this year.
I go to Rutgers! I didnt get your request try again!

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 am

I got mugged in The Projects in New Brunswick and ended up in Middlesex County Hospital, left for dead. The whole area should be consumed by Mother Earth and vanish from the planet as we know it.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Sent again. Look for Elizabeth.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”