Has anyone else tried sewing their own clothes?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
SGMBeyerl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: NA

Has anyone else tried sewing their own clothes?

Post by SGMBeyerl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi Folks,

This will be my first burn and I figured I'd try to get into the spirit of radical self-reliance by sewing some of my own clothes. I haven't touched a sewing machine since home economics back in the late 70s, but I figured I'd give it a try. My wife's jaw hung open when I said, "Hon, I'd like to go to Joanne's this weekend".

Well, after the trip to Joanne's last night, I tried out making a tunic today. It was actually easier than I thought. Who knew that sewing was like riding a bike?!?! It turned out OK. It's fairly obvious that it's homemade, but it's something I made myself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YPglb ... OkjKokJDVw

I plan on making some yoga pants, shorts, and thai fisherman pants, as well. Depending on how well they go, I've seen some patterns and how-to's for hats that I think would be neat.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was doing the same thing. We could share some links and lessons learned.

Mark
Last edited by SGMBeyerl on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Has anyone else tried sewing their own clothes?

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Mark, Great fun sewing burning man clothes. You don't have to change the thread color. It doesn't matter if you accidentally make them inside out. Extra points for all cotton and way too big. Leave yourself room to ride a bike or climb something. Let the air flow through. There are a lot of sewers, sowers, ....hummmm. People whom sew.

Check out the 'clothing and playawear' section of this board. I can't see your finished garment. I don't think the photo loaded.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SGMBeyerl

Post by SGMBeyerl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Ratty wrote:Mark, Great fun sewing burning man clothes. You don't have to change the thread color. It doesn't matter if you accidentally make them inside out. Extra points for all cotton and way too big. Leave yourself room to ride a bike or climb something. Let the air flow through. There are a lot of sewers, sowers, ....hummmm. People whom sew.

Check out the 'clothing and playawear' section of this board. I can't see your finished garment. I don't think the photo loaded.
I think that there are lots of sewers and sowers on the playa. I'm not sure how to load the picture, so I just used the link. I started out with the cheap muslin so I could make the mistakes without it costing too much....plenty of lessons learned. I'm looking forward to making more.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 am

I've tried & it wasn't pretty. It is a skill I truly underappreciated until I tried it myself. If you really want to do it just buy a cheap sewing machine or better yet borrow one & practice.

Your patients will be rewarded.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 am

Like you, Monkey, my work isn't pretty but...
I've sewn my own stuff sporadically for decades and consider myself an apprentice seamster.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 am

Good for you! I started sewing after my first burn, because I wanted great clothes. I make almost everything I wear now. Anyway, Keep at it - you will improve quickly. My only advice to you (a BM virgin) is this:

Burning Man has two temperature: Blistering and freezing. Keep in mind when you are sewing, that during the day, you will likely wan to wear nothing but a pair of short shorts. At night, you will want all the furs ever.

I've seen a lot of virgins make the mistake of constructing amazing pieces that never get worn. Things like medium-weight, full-length caftans. They look cool, but will be too hot during the day, and not layerable at night. Just keep in mind the wild temperature swings. You can certainly make exceptionally cool shirts with all kinds of blinky sparklies on them, but once it gets past 90 degrees (10AM), you aren't going to want to wear it.

SGMBeyerl

Post by SGMBeyerl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am

Awesome! Thanks Chowski!

I appreciate the advice and will definitely keep that in mind when I'm planning what to make. Sounds like I need to start planning for some furry outfits! I hadn't even considered furry pants or chaps until now. LOL

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Also, some of the most beautiful nightwear is PART fur. Or just fur trim on a fancy cloth coat. I like fur accessories.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm an average sewer a best but I've managed some things and it really is cool wearing something you've made yourself. L.A. has a fabric district of four blocks of nothing but fabric store running from discount to expensive. I made a tank top out of the sequin material that changes color when you run your fingers across it that is totally cool. Tried a vest and failed. Oh well. I want to try some shorts but that looks a little more complicated than my old shaky hands can manage but you never know. I like to make basic clothes...shirts, Tshirts, tank tops, shorts etc. and use unusual fabrics and trinkets on them.

global village idiot
Burning Since: 2018

Post by global village idiot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:52 am

Two or three years ago I tried my hand at sewing beyond simple repair. I sewed my daughter a traditional Japanese set of clothing - (hippari jacket and monpei trousers.

It was the easiest possible thing I could find. Took for-freakin'-EVER and I promised I'd never do it again if I didn't have to.

Hat's off to those who have the knack and patience for it; for me, I limit myself to simple things like drawstring bags and holdalls and the like, and leave clothing to the experts.

gvi

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 am

Don't try to make clothes/costumes from scratch. Alter what you have or buy something at the 2nd hand store. You can do magic.

Arthur Schopenhauer

global village idiot

Post by global village idiot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Only "sewing" I'm going to do is to sew buttons or some sort of attachment to an outer coat/robe thingamajig. It's a lightweight garment which I mean to use with a fleece bathrobe as a liner when the temp. drops in the evening.

Beyond that, I'm adding a puggaree to a pith helmet and replacing the faux-leather chin strap with a proper leather one. Nothing fancy at all.

gvi

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 am

I haven't been sewing for the last few years, but I am very proud of my flame coat. Fanciet damn thing I have ever tackled. Go for it.
DSCN0237.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unicorn1971
Camp Name: Videogasm

Post by Unicorn1971 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I am making my own.
I haven't sew in 6 years and it is been funny making some of my burning man outfit.
Virgin burner so i am making my own style.

[img]IMG_5263.HEIC[/img]
sandra
Virgin burner

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm

I've made short skirts with super shiny slightly stretchy fabric - great over leggings or naked legs depending on temps. A simple rectangle makes a good tube top if the fabric has enough stretch. I've also used the extra pieces of fabric to make shawls. I've knit some interesting lacy tops and a spiderweb bra. I've also made some large 3/4 circle fleece cloaks that are fabulous to snuggle up in on a chilly night.

This year I'm going to experiment with added pieces of flashy fabric to the seams of existing well constructed items - like those fabulous white pants in AntiM's pic.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Also try 2 full circle capes sewn together. (That's how you make flamingo skirts that you can lift up to your head.) Oh-lay.

Arthur Schopenhauer

pug
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Emerge-n-See InTentsIV Care Unit

Post by pug » Mon May 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Yes, literally for thousands of years. See http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles ... khan-dress :P

Also, yes, I've personally sewn oddballish things to wear.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm bringing feathers..... shawl/wrap

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 pm

AfricanFire wrote:I'm bringing feathers..... shawl/wrap

Wwo!! That is NICE.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 31, 2018 11:31 pm

It's so beautiful.

Arthur Schopenhauer

jendoe333

Post by jendoe333 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm

This is my first Burning Man and I have been wondering about clothes. I am involved in cosplay and have made a Rey outfit. I have a lot of leftover material and thought it actually would be great since her home world is a virtual desert waste-land! lol I attached a pic. All the material started out white, and I died it all by hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:01 pm

jendoe333 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 pm
This is my first Burning Man and I have been wondering about clothes. I am involved in cosplay and have made a Rey outfit. I have a lot of leftover material and thought it actually would be great since her home world is a virtual desert waste-land! lol I attached a pic. All the material started out white, and I died it all by hand.
looks good :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:46 pm

You did a beautiful job. Congrats!!!

Arthur Schopenhauer

Unicorn1971
Camp Name: Videogasm

Post by Unicorn1971 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Made this faux fur jacket in case it is cold at night at BM.
It is reversible too.
Been years I have made a jacket for my self.
Can't wait to wear it now.

What you think? :) :D

Faux fur jacket (outside)

Faux fur jacket (inside)
sandra
Virgin burner

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 am

Unicorn1971 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Made this faux fur jacket in case it is cold at night at BM.
It is reversible too.
Been years I have made a jacket for my self.
Can't wait to wear it now.

What you think? :) :D

Faux fur jacket (outside)

Faux fur jacket (inside)

Very nice and looks well done :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”