Newbie looking for Christian camp

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Newbie looking for Christian camp

Post by Token » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Chowski wrote:Righteous Bible Study on Wednesday. Midnight at the Trash fence. See ya there!
And hymns by Daft Punk!

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Token wrote:
Chowski wrote:Righteous Bible Study on Wednesday. Midnight at the Trash fence. See ya there!
And hymns by Daft Punk!
Like the legend of the Savior
The end and the beginning
What keeps the planet spinning?
The love of God beginning.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Praise be to Yahweh, we've reached PAGE 2!

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

All I said was "That sunrise set was good enough for Jehovah."
Sic Semper Spectatores

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:03 pm

I found this little tidbit on Amazon:

Following Jesus to Burning Man: Recovering the Church's Vocation

by Kerry D. McRoberts

"Following Jesus to Burning Man: Recovering the Church's Vocation places the author, a Pentecostal/evangelical minister, in a thoroughly pagan context in the Nevada desert where he discovered the presence of God in a way that transformed his understanding of ministry in the twenty-first century context. This book is about our culture's recovery and transformation by means of the church's Spirit-empowered application of Kingdom politics."

A helpful review confirms what the Christianist Agenda believes about Burning Man culture:

"Kerry "Mac" McRoberts was my theology professor in Bible College. This book may be short, but it is a powerful look at how he travels to a pagan desert festival to find opportunities to share Jesus with those who are lost. Kerry demonstrates that we as believers in Christ must come to understand those we are sent to and engage them where they are at. "

As a "lost" person, I am relieved that Jesus is already at Burning Man so the OP needn't put himself out finding other Christians to camp with! I'm really looking forward to being engaged by a True-Brand Believer in his fatwa to SAVE ME at Burning Man!

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 am

There are any number of vegans preaching their good word at Burning Man, Christians would be a nice change up.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Corvus
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

maladroit wrote:You might want to camp with United Site Services. They seem pretty Christian based on how much they say "Jesus" in the blue rooms.
Now, that's funny!

gobucks2073
Burning Since: 2017

Post by gobucks2073 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm

I know its hard to believe but I dont have a problem mingling with people of other faiths or beliefs.....just wanted to help a camp out a little....Im not exactly the most outgoing person so I just want to touch base with them......

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Shout out to the 'Talk to God' phone booth. 8)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:14 pm

VultureChow wrote:There are any number of vegans preaching their good word at Burning Man, Christians would be a nice change up.
Veganism is a religion, with all the trappings: guilt, original sin and judgement! There is also a lot of preaching of the 10 commandments, I mean principles!

To the OP, people are friendly and most will be just as friendly if not more so than Christians. There is a tips for shy persons or something like that on ePlaya which is useful.

If you look in the 2016 census, you will find Christianity is a very small part of the population - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxJfvV ... ZIMkE/view.

The event has been known to mock mainstream societal structures, for example the famous Hellco participatory performance in 1996.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... man+hellco
The Church Trap installation is another example.

With this year's theme of ritual, there will assuredly be more humorous and entertaining mockery of religion.

The vibe of the event is to enter a "temporary autonomous zone" of personal experimentation without the constraints of what burners call "the default world," other than the golden rule.

Maybe that is a way to approach your personal journey?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Eddaytona
Camp Name: Black Hole Literary Society

Post by Eddaytona » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Check this fellow out. I have no idea what streams of Christianity there are but maybe you can connect with him?
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 am

some seeing eye wrote:
VultureChow wrote:There are any number of vegans preaching their good word at Burning Man, Christians would be a nice change up.
Veganism is a religion, with all the trappings: guilt, original sin and judgement! There is also a lot of preaching of the 10 commandments condiments, I mean principles!

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Stop it you guys! Veganism is NOT a religion. It is a psychological eating disorder, directly attributable to hating your lame parents. Symptoms may or may not include purple hair, lethargy, face piercings, yoga, and a Bachelors' Degree with a double major in Ecological Empathy and Unemployment.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

God I love thread drift!

"Symptoms of orthorexia nervosa include "obsessive focus on food choice, planning, purchase, preparation, and consumption; food regarded primarily as source of health rather than pleasure; distress or disgust when in proximity to prohibited foods; exaggerated faith that inclusion or elimination of particular kinds of food can prevent or cure disease or affect daily well-being; periodic shifts in dietary beliefs while other processes persist unchanged; moral judgment of others based on dietary choices; body image distortion around sense of physical "impurity" rather than weight; persistent belief that dietary practices are health-promoting despite evidence of malnutrition."
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:22 am

IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG (29.3 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”