We are teaching how to build the most common variant of hexayurt ("H12"), in the semi-folding style with mitered edges. This takes a bit more work but results in a hexayurt that is stable and looks nice, is easy to set up on playa, and can be reused for years with minor repairs. You can check out our detailed construction guide PDF document that the workshop is based on at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ynyuciaf50w ... vZY1a?dl=0. We built our own hexayurt this way and reused it for years and we also helped friends build theirs.
The date of the workshop is August 6th 2017. The exact times are TBD but please expect this to be the whole day (roughly 10AM - 7PM).
How to attend
If you are interested in participating, e-mail us at email@example.com with the number of people in your group (at least 2). We will assign spots and confirm in the order in which we receive the requests + paid deposits (see below). The confirmation e-mail will also contain all of the workshop details and the location.
If you are confirmed, you must purchase all required materials in time BEFORE the workshop; none will be provided on-site. Note especially that the window to order the tapes online and have them shipped to SF is closing soon, so if you are confirmed you should purchase all materials right away.
If you attend, you will need to sign a waiver of liability (but we won't be doing anything more dangerous than using a utility knife). You will also need to pay a deposit of $50 before your spot is finalized. You will be refunded this deposit in full after the workshop is over IF YOU ATTENDED. This is to prevent no-shows wasting a valuable spot that somebody else could have used. Any non-refunded deposits will either be used as lunch money for the groups that are attending or donated to a charity.
Although the workshop is free, you have to purchase and bring along all required materials and tools according to the list below. You will also need to be able to transport your supplies to and from the workshop. If you don’t already have a truck or similar, you probably will also have to rent a 9 foot cargo van for the day. We expect the total resulting costs for all of that to be around $900 per group including the cost of the rental van.
Here is a list of materials and tools with cost estimates. The items marked with a * are required on the day of the workshop.
- 13 x R-Max 1" 4'x8' insulation panels ($273.40 including tax at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermasheath ... /100549260) *
- several rolls of bi-directional filament tape in two widths and aluminum tape ($294.51 including tax and shipping at findtape.com) *
- 2 x utility knives with long blades + 10-pack of blades ($33.53 including tax at Amazon: http://a.co/64RO7R3) *
- 6 x regular size playa staples ($31.75 including tax and shipping at http://www.ironmonkeyarts.org/buy-playa-staples.html)
- 3 x 20' ratchet sets and 12 corner protectors ($69.99 including tax and shipping at https://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-endless ... p-3,000-bs, https://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-rubber-corner-protector)
- 1 x Rope ($8.21 including tax at amazon: http://a.co/fISIvFz)
- 2 x 16' x 20' tarps ($41.06 including tax at amazon: http://a.co/1K4swF6)
- 2 x 1/8” x 4’ x 8' plywood sheets ($23.98 not including tax at Home Depot)
- Air conditioner filters ($42.01 including tax at amazon.com)
- Sledge hammer ($17.35 including tax at amazon.com: a.co/79uk4Kl)
- One day van rental (U-Haul: $60)
Why Hexayurts are Great for Burning Man
- Sleeps up to four people
- Stays cooler in the morning and warmer at night
- It's roomy at 166 square feet
- It's a fun project to work on together as a group
- Great conversation starter. If you weren’t always talking about BM, here’s a new topic for you.