FUNDRAISER: Methuselah: 20' steel, stained glass & fire sculpture

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.
Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

FUNDRAISER: Methuselah: 20' steel, stained glass & fire sculpture

Post by Jovankat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:35 am

Our Indiegogo is in it's final days and we're SUPER close to meeting our funding goal, can you help bring Methuselah to the playa?

We're building in West Oakland in the Bay Area if you'd like to come help with the welding or stain glass get in touch through our Facebook Page (There's also extra info and build progress videos there too!)

Methuselah will be a life-sized steel and stained glass replica of the oldest living tree in the world, a 4,848 year old bristlecone pine located in Eastern California. This installation will provide a mythical space for aerial and dance performances and offer a tranquil place for self reflection, intimate conversation, and connection around its burning hearth. Led by visionary artists Misha Naiman and Gray Davidson, this sculpture is being constructed by Majorelle Arts for Burning Man 2017.

Imagine you’re walking on playa at night. The dust is whipping around your face, you take your scarf out to cover your mouth as a storm brews on the horizon. A faint orange light catches your eye in the approaching expanse. A shadow surrounds the light in the distance, a dark structure that houses curiosity within. As you approach, a massive 20 foot steel structure extends toward the sky. The backdrop of billowing dust and chaotic festival lights amplifies the stoic nature of this magnificent creature. What lies before you is, Methuselah.

Modeled after the oldest living tree in the world, this replica of the ancient 4,848 year old bristlecone pine speaks of ancestry and honor. Your weary feet find reprieve as you take your place amongst the tree’s roots on benches that seem to grow out of the desert ground. The fire which you first saw from so far away burns warmly in the heart of its trunk. Soft illumination reflects off of the large convex mirror nestled at the base of the flame and shines through the stained glass embedded in the bark. The storm dies down as you’re lulled to sleep by the tree’s soft chimes blowing in the wind and the hushed conversations of other travelers.

The sun peeks over the horizon as you stir awake. The world is perfect in this moment of absolute stillness; just the sun, yourself, and this symbol of nature. You can now see the details of the bark, the colored glass, the intricately woven pieces of swirling metal, and the depths of color created by a beautiful patina.

The stillness dissolves as an aerialist takes position under one of the branches. You hadn’t noticed before but Methuselah is also an enchanted performance space. She hangs a hoop and you sit mesmerized by this display of raw and passionate talent. As the performance concludes you slowly stand up. Your heart, mind, and soul are filled to the brim with the experiences you have shared with this timeless symbol of strength. You walk forth, replenished and rejuvenated. Methuselah follows in your heart, forever finding a home amongst the iconic spirits and myths who pay homage to the Earth.

This vision, this passion, this story can only be made possible with you, the traveler. Methuselah, is a symbol of resilience, honor, and ancestry that has only been able to stand the test of time with the support of an extensive root system. We now humbly ask you to be our root system; to be like the sun, soil, and rain that brings life to the real Methuselah and allow this installation, erected in her honor, to thrive. Your contributions create the unique opportunity for Majorelle Arts to bring Methuselah to our home, your home, to Burning Man 2017.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: FUNDRAISER: Methuselah: 20' steel, stained glass & fire sculpture

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 am

I think Methuselah's claim to fame is the oldest living tree in California, and possibly the US. National Geographic posted about one a little over 9,500 years old in Sweden, and if the guide I had on some glacial treks in the late 90's is to be believed, there's a handful of Charlie-Brown-xmas-looking twisted pines up near the Columbia ice field in Canada that are more than 5,000 years old.

Regardless of age, though, that is still one of the most spectacular trees and a really wonderful project! The detail work on it looks amazing! I know you've got a link in your post, but I figured I'd add the straight up URL so the site could do the smart embedder thing. Good luck with the project!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: FUNDRAISER: Methuselah: 20' steel, stained glass & fire sculpture

Post by Jovankat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm

trilobyte wrote: I figured I'd add the straight up URL so the site could do the smart embedder thing.

Thanks Trilo! I saw that on another in another fundraiser thread and wondered how it worked.

Return to “2017 On-Playa Project Fundraisers”