2018 Black Rock City Plan - Campless - No Space

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2018.
Zachwilliams
Burning Since: 2004

2018 Black Rock City Plan - Campless - No Space

Post by Zachwilliams » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Unlike many, I enjoy being campless at BM. Self-reliant they say. I volunteer many hours for the Org and when I return to my humble abode, I like to relax, and not have to cover KP duty for some conveniently missing campmate.

But alas, I just took a look at this years City plan, because I wanted to get an idea where to camp this year. Am I missing something or is only the area between K and L available for the Campless this year?

Every year the space for the independent has been decreased. This year, Campless space seems to be substantially less than 2017. If this trend continues with the same velocity, I may need to brush up on my KP skills for 2019 or plan to camp outside the trash fence and pay the $20 re-entrance fee daily. Looking at the map, besides the space between K & L, the map shows a shade of color. Can this be, how will the hoards of Campless that filter in late find space?

Luckily I have a WAP and will get there early this week; and will look for those placement flags to be certain, however.........anyone see anything wrong with this, does anyone care, or should I just go to therapy and explore my aversion to unexpected KP duties due to a missing, clueless, entitled campmate?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: 2018 Black Rock City Plan - Campless - No Space

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm

No, I think it sucks too. I’m in a places camp but hate seeing the shrinkage of available space for others
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Zachwilliams wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:03 pm
. . .
Luckily I have a WAP and will get there early this week;
. . .
just go to therapy and explore my aversion to unexpected KP duties due to a missing, clueless, entitled campmate?
You have an early entrance pass.

Last I heard that was to help building something.

to help

They are your campmates the first days . . .

The therapy will help :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Traveler. My wap is for working census. Ive been early every year to greet or census. Someones gotta do it. Its my therapy too. I hate to see the open camping shrink. After the gates open its ALL open camping.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Traveller in Time

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm

The city grows from the center out

Not everybody can be at the center

Must redesign the city.

Inside of a Sphere all are as close to the center. Bit inpractical on a flat desert.

One gigantic circle total length of 429,694 feet, circle diameter about 136,775 feet (~50km)

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Hey Zach, I think this year is different. I was kind of confused by the city plan map for this year because it had a very light blue halo all over the city, rather than the blue bubbles surrounding major roads and such. It turns out they're not hard-zoning areas for placed camps in the same manner as previous years.

Except maybe for the inner-most rings, the city plan this year is a lot more fuzzy. People will need to check for blue flags on the ground to see if a location is reserved. If not, it's open camping. This extends deeper into the city as well.

It does make it a pain to plan exactly where you should go if you're not bound to a camp, but it also opens up more space all throughout the city where people can set up shop without being a placed camp.

This change probably reflects how camp placements pan out anyway, and maybe even encourages higher densities on the interior.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Zachwilliams

Post by Zachwilliams » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Thank you Lucky420, Ratty and BBadger for the empathy and support.

BBadger: I did read their explanation of:

"This plan intentionally cannot be used to debate boundaries: we’ve softened the edges of the reserved-placement shading here more than in previous plans, as this zone fluctuates greatly between this initial city plan and the final placed camp plan displayed at the event site. Reserved camp space is marked on the playa with blue survey flags. Some of these plots are so large that they may appear unclaimed and available, when they actually are not. Be sure to camp outside the blue flagged zones to avoid encroaching on reserved zones and then having to relocate your camp."

However I understood it to say, hey we are unclear how much space we need, so we'll take it all, just look for the clearly marked blue border flags; unless the camp is too big, then move on or we'll move ya.

Oh yeah: for Traveler:

"The distance from the innermost Esplanade street to the Man is 2,500 feet. Esplanade to Algorithm Street, curb to curb, is 400 feet deep. Mid-city double-deep blocks are located between Elektro and Gort streets and are 440 feet deep. The remaining blocks are 200 feet deep."

Just some nonsense I had found on the City Plan page that had really very little to do with my post, sort of like your replies.

Traveller in Time

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Used the size of BRC design to calculate total single side street length required for everybody to sit in front.

Indeed Nonsense however I was drawing the city anyway :D

Have some Free will

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 pm

You are incorrect in your assumption. The amount of spaced for placed camps (theme camps, staff camps, etc) is approximately the same as it has been in previous years. What is different this year is how the boundaries have been drawn. It's actually mentioned on the BRC map page, if you care to read the notes:
This plan intentionally cannot be used to debate boundaries: we’ve softened the edges of the reserved-placement shading here more than in previous plans, as this zone fluctuates greatly between this initial city plan and the final placed camp plan displayed at the event site. Reserved camp space is marked on the playa with blue survey flags. Some of these plots are so large that they may appear unclaimed and available, when they actually are not. Be sure to camp outside the blue flagged zones to avoid encroaching on reserved zones and then having to relocate your camp.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:22 pm

It's actually mentioned on the BRC map page, if you care to read the notes:
Hummm. Those notes sound familiar. Where have I read them recently? Oh look. There it is. 2 posts prior. Let's all have a sasparilla and hope there is plenty of room when we get there.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Relax, Ratty. When a user (including me) writes a reply based solely on the original post in a thread there's always a chance that info may be repeated. Oddly enough, that doesn't make it any less true.

When the borders were less fuzzy, time would be wasted with boundary debates. Since the placement process continues up to and into build week, yet the BRC city map is published more than a month prior to that date, fuzzy borders are necessary. Yes, details are unclear at the time of the city map's publication, when you arrive on playa in one of the fuzzy zones look for the blue placement flags to guide you. In some neighborhoods the placement team may need additional space, but in others they may need less. Overall it works out to roughly the same each year (unfortunately for dozens of camps each years, that means they are not able to be placed, but that's a separate discussion).

Remember, if you are arriving early on a camp or project's work access pass (which is printed on the WAP), you are required to camp within that group's placed borders until the gate opens (and all staff camps are registered and placed).

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Ratty wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm
After the gates open its ALL open camping.
Not quite - you still don't get to plunk down in a placed theme camp's reserved space without their permission (unless nobody from the camp showed up before gate opened, in which case their assigned space is up for grabs).

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 pm

PapaBear you are so right. The first thing I do when placed is to string beautiful cloth flags on the ground around the perimeter. Our camp layout fills every foot of the 50 by 50 space.

Arthur Schopenhauer

prettyfeet79
Burning Since: 2007

Post by prettyfeet79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I am arriving late, on Wednesday Aug 29th. This will be my 8th burn but my first burn camping in general camping, not with my usual theme camp due to the lack of room for my rv and late arrival.

I am a bit concerned after reading this post. Should I be concerned? Any tips for arriving late and finding a place to park my rv?

Traveller in Time

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:09 pm

The center roads will be completely filled, everybody wants to sit in front.

If you do not bother sitting in front there will be space enough toward the outer roads.

Have some Free will

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Park and walk. Sometimes there are huge spaces behind the camps next to the road. Ask around and then find a way in. We have moved vehicles for people to get in. And moved tents for people to get out.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I’ve found vast amounts of space before in the middle of blocks.

Might be hard to pull a rig into them tho mid-week.

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”