Story-driven documentary

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2019 playa projects here.
viking87
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Stellar Dusty Moon

Story-driven documentary

Post by viking87 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:04 am

I'm a filmmaker with tickets to my 2nd burn and now have another case of film-it syndrome. I am looking into a new camera kit to bring the week into vivid color and clarity, but the stories within are intended to carry the torch. If you have seen "They Shall Not Grow Old" you'll have an idea for the style.

Nobody else that I - personally - know that is attending has a passion for content creation quite like I have, but since we're all meeting up in 4 months I figured I'd ask here. If anyone wants to tackle a documentary, I'd love co-producers in any capacity. LA-based is gravy, but attending this year is critical. Fingers are crossed for a drone permit, but I'm expecting I'll need to collab with another pilot who will be fortunate enough to receive one.

Always open to broader ideas. Definitely interested in chatting more on potential subjects or individuals who I might meet this year on playa. Metamorphoses is a compelling event theme, especially with a looming land permit threat. It sounds like a different flavor of BLM hassle has been around since BM first came to NV, but in case our EIS write-ins don't solve it... well, I guess who knows what comes next. I do not wish to stir hysteria with this project's messaging, it's more about stories of the event and its past (that note was just kind of a tangential thought at the moment).

tl;dr - Would love to meet some other content creators out there!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Story-driven documentary

Post by burner von braun » Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 am

Hi Viking87,

With a content creation documentary such as you describe, it sounds to me like your best course of action, out of consideration for others around you, would be to contact the fine folks at Media Mecca, if you haven't already.

https://burningman.org/network/about-us ... dia_mecca/

They'll be happy to help you, and additionally, provide you with a thoughtful understanding of concerns many in the burner community have regarding recording devices on playa. Part of the drone permitting process you mention delves into these concerns as well, along with general safety usage, and it is my understanding that drone footage therefore is usable only with some type of permission.

A good well-made documentary is a joy to watch; I hope yours turns out well. And don't forget to set the camera down at times during your burn.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 02, 2019 12:12 pm

You've been to ONE burn and you've already posted a money making scheme of setting up a food program and now you want to film it. Why don't you just stay home and watch it on the live feed. It seems that you aren't working in a department, building art or running events at your camp. (Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.) You're not just any old tourist. You are a spectator with a plan to be somebody. So far I'm unimpressed with what you are adding to the community.

This event is being ruined by ravers, advertisers exploiting the venue, and mainly by non-participants. More videos won't help.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

I hope the documentary encourages others not to attend. The BLM issues, among others, is due to over saturation of promoting the event, too many people coming who've seen some video, too many bucketlisters, too many damn people. That's pretty much the result of the bulk of the content coverage in years past.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Part 1: an hour of white out dust.
Part 2: an hour visiting porta potties.
Part 3: complete emotional and physical breakdown of tourists.
Part 4: cleaning up moop.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu May 02, 2019 1:54 pm

I think the Mobility Camp could benefit from a documentary. The porto volunteers would be another.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm

* Popcorn *

Talk about “Not Getting It”.

viking87

Post by viking87 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm

I have expected some push back on this, with how inflated it seems to have gotten in the last few years, especially with the raving. Lonesomebri you might be onto something with a dissuading version. A boring and dirty depiction is probably the kind of video that the BM community would appreciate, even without watching it... if it could actually convince someone not to go, in fear of adversity. Part of me now wants it to be 4 hours of boring long takes, with occasional cutaways to portos just to really hit it all home. Coming in on that last road through Gerlach, there were lots of "Go home, BM is cancelled" antics, so sort of a similar vibe to that. I'd hate to ruin my big burns by babysitting a camera anyway.

Ratty, do not entirely mistake curiosity for greed on the plug 'n play meals idea. There is certainly a luck-of-the-draw affordability which western US'ers have to attend BM, so it's half service to far travelers and half a project that's potentially scalable as the event grows. The concept has gone nowhere and was basically forgotten by the time I pondered doing a doc instead. On our way in last summer, four of us picked pre-fab yurts w/ AC & generators in Reno, along with 50gal of water to share in a jug we provided. I'm guessing a lot of drive-in burners have utilized these resources to complete the journey, virgins and returning. Are these vendors just as bad? Yes, I think turning it into Disneyland is a terrible fucking idea, but it could facilitate the process of arrival, especially if the land is significantly expanded as bmorg hopes. To my understanding, if the 10-yr permit goes through, it could really increase the BRC size and population in turn. Or worse case scenario, it gets denied and BM branches off into regional burns for the future. Metamorphoses is a compelling theme for such a weighted verdict this summer, or whenever BLM responds.

Contacting Media Mecca & Mobility Camp are great ideas. I wasn't totally sure how porto cleaning worked... volunteering for that is quite a noble gesture. A mutually beneficial use of this video content as more than just an event highlight reel may be the better answer here. I really just like making shit with cameras and hope to gift in the way I uniquely would best.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat May 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Viking, I see your idea about food sales as nothing but a money maker. You wrote, "I'm not a huge festival goer besides BM, but I see your point in expanding. Really jut trying to offset expenses for this year's trip! Would also like to become more involved long-term in the culture as it keeps growing. The hexayurt companies are busting ass for a month or two but definitely making a boatload... yurt, small AC and genny for $1,300. " That is what you spent in Reno and want in on the action? With a mentality like that I can only assume the worst of your video. Sorry. You wrote it. You own it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

viking87

Post by viking87 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Yes, I can stand behind what was said. We used yurt & water vendors, so with food being the last major ticket item that seemed unaccounted for in Reno, as least from who we know at the time, I couldn't help but float the idea, as this "pick-up and hit the gate" approach was the only way I really knew at that point. The unanimously negative response definitely helped gauge the burner temperature.

It may relieve you that my YouTube subscriber base is comparatively small and there's no intent (or any real way) to monetize off a project like this. As an artist I see room for a truer depiction of the week than just an EDM-based short sizzle reel. The mashups are a cool glance at visuals but they don't tell a story. The best version I'd seen of one was "24-hours at Burning Man" on YouTube, almost 90-min, but it was more autobiographical and play-by-play than I would ever expect this to be once finished. He spoke highly of the event and definitely did it some justice in exploring, but voices from the community are really what would drive this piece. They Shall Not Grow Old was such as awesome doc and had a unique enough style that it might actually suit the ethos of a one week city.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 05, 2019 11:39 am

More plots: I often point people to Charlie Goes to Burning Man

Look at what stories Burning Man needs more of, things like children bringing parents & grand parents, Kidsville (YMMV on that), the Alternative Energy Zone, private plane fliers (NOT BxA), the history of Gerlach and Bruno. Then there are things like the man build and the temple build. And the BORG has all kinds of social hygiene/culture stories, some of which you can see on the Burning Man YouTube. The other thing to look at in conjunction with the Artery and Media Mecca is spending time through the months from now with an art grant project for this year. There are stories like the journal.burningman.org page about people of color on the playa.

99% of the Burning Man videos you see we need less of. None of them show the hard prep work and on-playa adversity. The event has sold out (many times), so it doesn't need more advertising, as others have pointed out.

BTW I had a relative in WWI. What remains is an extensive photo scrapbook including a stay in the hospital which isn't explained, though they survived and thrived after.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Art & Performance”