Water Storage/ Shower Situation

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
DustBoat
Burning Since: 2019

Water Storage/ Shower Situation

Post by DustBoat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 am

Hello, this year will officially be my first burn! So excited to finally make it to the playa! Since I've never done this before I was wondering what is found to be the best way to store water (we will be using a yurt, no camp trailer). We will have a flatbed trailer to bring supplies etc.
Also, what is the shower situation? Make your own? Provided on the playa? etc. Any help would be huge!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Water Storage/ Shower Situation

Post by Popeye » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 am

DustBoat wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 am
Hello, this year will officially be my first burn! So excited to finally make it to the playa! Since I've never done this before I was wondering what is found to be the best way to store water (we will be using a yurt, no camp trailer). We will have a flatbed trailer to bring supplies etc.
Also, what is the shower situation? Make your own? Provided on the playa? etc. Any help would be huge!
Hi DustBoat and welcome to EPlaya. Stop on over at Greeters and tell us a little about yourself,what you know, what you do and why you are coming to BM.
Store water in the containers you bring it in. Could be 5 gallon jugs or cases of botttled water.
You don't really need a shower. Any sweat evaporates almost immediately. Some build one many/most just use a spray bottle and mist in the morning. Surprisingly effective if you haven't tried it before. You might try a whores bath, wipe down pits and bits with a wet cloth and some soap. Do NOT throw grey water on the playa. Haul it back out and dispose of at home. Larger camps will pay to have it pumped and removed, some try an evaporation pond but this can turn imto a mess.

All your questions have been answered before many times. Try searching either in the search box top right or google Epaya: your question.
Read the survival guide.
Read the First Timers Guide
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 am

DustBoat wrote:
As far as your shower, yes, make you own. You'll need a way to capture the water and keep from landing on the playa, as it's not allowed, but more important is that the ground turned into a slick, slimy mosh pit.
I use the 5 gallon camping shower bags for the water, that I fill before getting to the playa. You could improvise a shower stall, or not use one at all depending on your shyness level. A large tarp on the ground with 2x4's around the perimeter works great as an evap pond.
Also, bring lots of baby wipes for those days you just don't get a chance to shower. :shock:

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Popeye's talking truth here.
Many ideas have been tried for evaporating shower water - some work well, others turned into an amazing moop mess. I'd suggest go for the spray or whores bath for your first year and if you really want to shower your second time around, check out everyone's methods while you're there and figure out what works. I got lucky, my first camp knew how to do evap ponds right. i sure have seen some disasters out there - you've been warned.
Popeye wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 am
Do NOT throw grey water on the playa. Haul it back out and dispose of at home. Larger camps will pay to have it pumped and removed, some try an evaporation pond but this can turn into a mess.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Hell no, no need to take whore baths! Have a real shower.
Not much beats how great a real shower feels in a hot dirty desert.
You’ve got a trailer. You can carry water barrels. All you have to do is bring empty barrels to pour your grey water into, and a big funnel.
That’s what I’ve always done. It works great. If you can haul it in, you can haul it out. Simple.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Large bin, towel in the bottom. Hudson sprayer, natural soap. Hang towel to air dry, post shower. Repeat until gross.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:29 pm

DustBoat wrote:

Also, what is the shower situation? Make your own? Provided on the playa? etc.
Based on how you asked the question, I suspect you need to do a hell-of-allot more research in what you are getting into.

Start with the Survival Guide here:

https://survival.burningman.org

If at all possible, find a long weekend where you can go camping for 3-4 days in a spot with ZERO services. One of them places where you have to dig your own latrine and burn the toilet paper. Preferably somewhere dry, windy and blazing hot.

Then come back with questions.

Get a bit of dust and dirt on that ass before you dive in.

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Tue May 07, 2019 12:30 am

gaminwench wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:56 pm
Large bin, towel in the bottom. Hudson sprayer, natural soap. Hang towel to air dry, post shower. Repeat until gross.
I like this. But isn't the shower grey water kinda moopy? You know, with hairs and such? I'm no salamander, and the idea of hanging that towel up afterwards paints an ugly photo of a wet, dusty, hairy flag flappin' in the wind. Pollinating the playa with pubes and blue mohawk hairs.
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue May 07, 2019 1:24 am

I am braided and shorn when on the playa. No hair MOOP here. 8)

I also, as hard as it was, gave up glitter, feathers and sequins at BRC.

I still manage to sparkle and smell good! :P
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Zubeneschamali
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Heck, shower away. Collect all water and store in a grey water bin. Pay to have a pumper haul it away just like the RV's.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue May 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Hey @joeln,
wondering you can elaborate on "Imy first camp knew how to do evap ponds right"
What did you all do differently or special that worked? Thx

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 am

DustBoat wrote:
Showers/Astral Headwash/Steam baths on the playa are occasionally run into, or you may have a friendly RV neighbor who offers you one, if you're lucky, or ask nicely (meaning: rinse yourself in 60 seconds or so, turn the water off, lather thoroughly, and then rinse) . . . BUT . . . . you should not count on running into one, and if you bring your own, you will need to evaporate--or tote out--any grey water (dishwater, shower water).

One of the easiest ways to do things, even in a tent: bring a few spray bottles (for water, lemon juice, etc), multiple wash cloths, hand towels (because they can get you dry without taking up as much space as a bath towel), and body wash (it lathers way easier than bar soap). Some clothespins, too.

Stand on a hand towel, spritz yourself with water, lather up with body wash, spritz again and dry off. Hang your towel with a clothespin, but don't count on being able to use it again. It may get dusty while it dries, and do you an Injustice. (So bring several.)

Cornstarch baby powder is nice to prevent chafing on multiple areas. If your thighs rub, use Bodyglide or a white stick deodorant on them.

Flawless!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm

FYI, Astral Headwash is taking a year off, so won't be found on playa again until 2020.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Evap ponds can work very well if managed right. Our camp has been using one for many years with no problems. You have to make sure your campers and neighbors don't put anything but shower water in it. You have to sweep the water around every now and then so it doesn't puddle up too much and make sure the water doesn't get over an inch deep. We used 2 ponds and when one got full, we'd move the shower structure over to the other one. We shut the shower down a couple days before the end to let all the water evaporate and then roll up the plastic and throw it away. We've never had a odor problem either. It also helps to use the water sparingly. We teach everyone how to take a "navy" shower and with that method, you can get a really refreshing shower with about a half gallon of water.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Mon May 13, 2019 9:20 pm

LowePro wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:54 pm
Hey @joeln,
wondering you can elaborate on "Imy first camp knew how to do evap ponds right"
What did you all do differently or special that worked? Thx
See the above post by TT120 - he ran the camp I'm referring to!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 pm

I use a mortar mixing tub from home depot and a (fresh, unused for chemicals) garden sprayer.

Lay down a towel just big enough to cover the bottom of the tub, mist enough to get wet, lather up (something not too harsh like Dr. Bronners is good), mist to rinse all the crap, dust, and sunscreen off your body. Having a friend helps (and the right friend can make it even more fun) You can do a moderately decent cleanse with 1/2 gallon of water. use a clean towel to dry off. I put the towel from the tub over the roof rack on my truck, it's dry by the next day as well as any residual water in the tub. The towel you stand on does get pretty crusty by the end of the week so your feet need a extra baby wipe/washcloth treatment, but you should be caring for your feet anyway.

A real shower? no... But, no grey water to deal with, refreshing and rejuvenating.

Keeps me feeling human for the time I'm there, and then I can luxuriate in the shower at the hotel at the end of the first day driving home.

Just my $.02
Shoe
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu May 16, 2019 3:35 pm

TT120's advice is good. A few additional notes:

* You have to make sure they are big enough. I'd say an inch deep is pushing the limits, especially later in the week. The shallower the depth, the better your overall evaporation rate, and the less risk you run.

* At the same time, too little water can be an issue when the winds kick up. Be prepared to weight it down if necessary.

* You want to minimize any trapped air under the plastic. That means the best time to lay out an evaporation pond is in the heat of the day. That way, any trapped bubbles shrink when it gets cool, making it flatter. If you lay it out when it's cool, the bubbles get bigger when it warms up.

* Ensuring camp members, neighbors, and strangers don't add anything to it (especially late in the week) can be harder than it sounds. You'd be amazed how many people think it's cool to just dump their cooler water in an evap pond ("What's the problem, it's clean?") or see it as a slip-n-slide or urinal when drunk or stoned. You typically have to be active about monitoring and defending it.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm

If someone wants to slip n slide the evap pond, I'm getting my camera and popcorn...
That's just good olde fashioned entertainment right there.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

syringesmiajames
Burning Since: 1996

Post by syringesmiajames » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 am

there is issue with this plan of water

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am

As a solo camper, I tried an evaporation approach one year, and never tried it again. The packed volume of the dirty (icky dirty, mind you) evap system was larger than a simple 5 gallon grey water container. I put a small hunk of polyester batting/filter floss in the bottom of a big funnel each time I pour into the container. That dries and goes in regular trash. I use a small garden sprayer to rinse dishes over the funnel. I can wash my hair over a basin with a soda bottle of water. Adult disposable wash cloths I use for daily wipe down.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

DustBoat
Burning Since: 2019

Post by DustBoat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Right on! Thank you all for the tips. Definitely not going with the evaporation method for gray water after hearing of numerous horror stories. We ended up stumbling upon a cool little place (Nevada Container Supply) in Reno that had IBC Totes and the perfect size barrels for drinking water and gray water. Made a shower out of the tote, and multiple barrels with water spigots to dispense water. Wish me luck! So excited!!!!!!

Return to “Food & Drink”