Sealing mesh grids in a crappy tent - duck tape?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
nic++
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Looking

Sealing mesh grids in a crappy tent - duck tape?

Post by nic++ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:12 pm

I got a (crappy) tent for the event (coming with the bus, so space constrained) so now I'm looking for way to seal off the mesh.

The easiest option I think would be to cover the mesh with duck tape on both sides, at the end i only need it for 10 days. Do you think it would last?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Sealing mesh grids in a crappy tent - duck tape?

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:34 pm

I've seen it done. It will last but it will be a gooey mess. Plus it takes a bunch of tape to do it. Your other options are to clamp a blanket over the top. Some people use a comforter. Clamps will cost the same as tape and not ruin the whole tent. Or, set up the tent and hand sew some fabric over the mesh. Not fleece. Fleece works like a sieve and filters the dust through. I use old nylon rain flies.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I also used old rain flies! I cut them to fit, pinned them in place and then the sewing machine made neat work of it. Junky old tent is now permanently dust proof.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm

I've used the comforter and spring clamp technique for years, never had dust in my tent. Also, neverwear your shoes in the tent, ever.
DSCF8399 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”