2020 Direction on ePlaya

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

2020 Direction on ePlaya

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Where is 2020 Burning Man going and what is the role of ePlaya?

The event survived the EIS. Maybe the bads, like dumpsters and barriers, will come. But the BORG, GPE, and 447 Resto are on it.

Placement and likely DGS are formulating a new unknown plan.

Discuss -

We have a problem of BRC MOOP. Call it out in the moment in the culture?

Virgins are arriving unprepared and not oriented to the culture. It only takes a small number to destroy everything. We may even have bad veterans.

We still have a consent and dosing problem. Fuck that, it's 2020. No excuses.

Immediacy and socialmediagramming at the event makes it like any other festival or event, anti-immediacy.

Where are each camp's open books, assets, expenses, and revenues?

We are forced to deal with all the safety second items like structures, insurance, and food permits.

Finally, how do we draw people to getting information on ePlaya vs other "highly reliable" sources like FB and Reddttt?

How do we get them to follow through connecting to their regional in person?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: 2020 Direction on ePlaya

Post by Token » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 pm

The first step would be finding an owner in the BORG for this abandoned platform we call home.

Ever since Andie departed, it has grown allot of cobwebs.

Next would be fixing the darn thing and having a technical execution owner. Lots of vBB boards out there with a much better experience and stability.

Once it starts running properly, there would be many ways to make it a go-to place for both current and historical information all-things BM.

The data captured here and in the way-back machine of previous lives of ePlaya would be a goldmine for a wiki, history or some such.

Unlike the other media now more popular with the crowds, ePlaya remembers.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 pm

They are working on it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Token

Post by Token » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Good to know there is movement on that front.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:51 am

Bulletin boards are not a format the 'instant gratification' crowd will ever participate in. It is considered a format for 'old people'. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but the exceptions seem to be getting fewer and fewer, with each generation. That is more of a 'gut feel' with no real quantification.

I met a few burgins this year who were ill-prepared to be there. They had this grandiose plan of building a shade structure from the crap they got at Walmart. Of course, it failed miserably, but they did not whine about it. They kept trying to make something of the mess they got themselves into. After watching them struggle for a few hours, a few of us went over to help.

We suggested they need to do some research for next year. They were happy to get the information, until we mentioned ePlaya. I'll quote them, "We visited the forum, but did not stay long. It seemed to be a place for disgruntled, judgmental old burners who were looking for any excuse to take a cheap shot at you."

Basically, they were just intimidated and felt like there was no way to have a positive experience here.. They looked before they would leap.

I have to admit, I have cut back my time here. I find it more and more difficult to want to post anything as there are a few people here who seem to be itching to take what you say out of context and judge it negatively. The you waste time trying to re-explain what you said before, which causes more judgmental remarks, and so on. I finally just gave up. I still visit almost everyday, but there is less worthwhile stuff to read about. Even when there is I avoid posting now. It just does not to be productive.

As to how to make it better? Well, when you have old burners who do not apply the 10 principles here, how do you expect to have the young ones do it?
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:37 am

^^

I don’t know, I think yeah the political threads here can get heated but as for virgins seeking advice IMO it seems like good advice and encouragement are the norm here.

Of course if you ask an easily found answer without doing any research you’re gonna get hosed.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:32 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Where are each camp's open books, assets, expenses, and revenues?

I figure it will take about 10 minutes for Burning Man to become "Lying Man" Let's keep it honest.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am

The fact that you can't see all the posts without registering is a big turn off for new folks. Just look at the numbers 'who's online'. I wouldn't come back to look up info if I was shut out. Just sayin....
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token

Post by Token » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:57 am

Ratty wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am
The fact that you can't see all the posts without registering is a big turn off for new folks. Just look at the numbers 'who's online'. I wouldn't come back to look up info if I was shut out. Just sayin....
Yeah, about that "Who is Online" widget ... I'm pretty sure that is bogus most of the time.

There will always be some number of bots and crawlers indexing stuff around the clock, but the reasonable guess here is that the whole vBB setup is long in the tooth, broken. Most likely some kind of handle/session leak that doesn't flush out old sessions.

Clearing that up will go a long way.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm

I'd like to see the lost and found moved to a different message board or some other technological solution implemented for joining people with their lost items. It seems to me one of the points where the wind got taken out of the sails on ePlaya was when lost and found was included and that it caused a decrease in the amount of posts made and a general culling of the herd of regular posters.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:51 am

I'm around again, and although it's not in the scope of my new role personally, I can say that there are several staffers renewing interest in this forum and I think you'll see it get the love it deserves again. Trilo can surely tell you more from his perspective, but I've been pleased to see some reactivation…and it's nice to come back and see some familiar faces still holding down the fort. I'll be checking in more often now that I'm back!

Token

Post by Token » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:02 pm

(((Actiongrl)))

Welcome back!

So good to hear this treasure trove of information and history is getting some love!

We missed you!

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Aw thanks, Token. When I left I kind of turned off all my Burning Man news, and I have slowly been re-assimilating, so I've been lurking on the ePlaya for about six months now getting my bearings. :)

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Actiongrl! Hiya! long time no see. welcome back!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

openheartcamp
Camp Name: Open Heart Elixir & Cacao Lounge

Post by openheartcamp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Regional Contacts are feeling pretty abandoned and have no access to their antiquated google mailing lists. They don't know how many people are opening the messages, the subscribe process is asinine and the information is stuck siloed with BORG.

Please please please someone help us get this unstuck. It's getting really tempting for regions to go rogue and rebuild their own mailing lists separate from the org so that they can bring contact management and community building into this decade before we round into the next decade.

Would love some help.

Jeremy, Communications support for Sacramento Region.
Jeremy Meehan aka Swerve, Camp Lead, http://www.openheartcamp.org

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”