Anticipating a $10 Million Shortfall Burning Man Asks Ticket Holders and Participants To Donate

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Anticipating a $10 Million Shortfall Burning Man Asks Ticket Holders and Participants To Donate

Post by Bless » Thu May 14, 2020 7:05 am

DustyNeonRooster wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:57 am
Wow - Epiphany, my ticket expense and vehicle pass has nothing to do with funding the event. Instead it goes to funding whatever the BORG wants to spend it on. I feel somewhat misled and disheartened by that notion.
THIS
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Anticipating a $10 Million Shortfall Burning Man Asks Ticket Holders and Participants To Donate

Post by some seeing eye » Thu May 14, 2020 2:08 pm

DustyNeonRooster wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:57 am
lucky420 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:45 pm
DustyNeonRooster wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Seems to me that the that the root of the problem is that the Org is spending the proceeds from one year on everything but the event for the next year. While I won't argue the merit of "all the great things" that they are doing I will say that not having a Plan "B" is pretty contrary to everything Burny.

I haven't heard about any of them them reducing (or gifting) any portion of their salary this year. Maybe they are but I haven't heard that yet.

I've got a real hard time being loyal to an organization that has lost sight of what's important like ensuring that the event has the means to continue each year. Next years expenses should be the first thing in the budget. The fact they they rely on wealthy donors for most of that explains a lot about how the Burn has changed over the years. It explains a lot. In fact it leaves a shit sandwich aftertaste in my mouth just thinking about it.
They’ve stated that staff has taken a reduction of pay and some have been furloughed
To be honest I haven't had time to do my "due-diligence" on this. Thanks Lucky for the info.

Sham, I totally get the enormity of all this & the complete drain on their reserves. But my point is a simple one.
- The Org has a significant reserve of cash
- They roughly know how much the event costs to put on each year
- Ticket sales greatly exceed that cost of the event
- So why don't they fund the next years event first (line 1 of the budget every year).
- If they need to cut anywhere it would seem to me that everything that is not "The Burn" would be fair game.

Yeah, no one saw this coming but that is precisely why we (all Burners) are in this predicament. It leads me to believe that there is not (never was) a back-up plan for having to cancel the event but there should be. It doesn't need to be a virus. It could just as easily be excessive rains flooding the Playa, major road construction leading in to the event, wild fires, Tax law changes that affect Big donors, a Gerlach Trump rally......

So.....going forward whats the plan BORG? It seems obvious that they rely on big donors instead of ticket sales to fund the event. Doesn't anyone else see this as a problem (ethically & strategically)?

Wow - Epiphany, my ticket expense and vehicle pass has nothing to do with funding the event. Instead it goes to funding whatever the BORG wants to spend it on. I feel somewhat misled and disheartened by that notion.

Did I mention "WOW"?
Dr-Yes who has been on ePlaya did a good analysis - https://www.burn.life/blog/should-burni ... ts-to-2021
The CEO did one too - https://journal.burningman.org/2020/04/ ... inancials/

Some of the "non-essentials" such as Burners Without Burners (estimated to be much less than $100K/yr) are REQUIRED for the BMORG to keep its non-profit tax status. Without the non-profit tax status, they can't solicit tax deductible donations.

Purely speculating, one could argue that Fly Ranch is an "eco-education" project (selling it would also betray those who donated to buy it,) the art grants (which are much too small, IMO) are non-profit "arts support", and even the worldwide conferences are "education" on the 10 principles.

Essentially the ticket receipts are "earned income" in non-profit accounting. As a non-profit, you cannot legally exist to take in earned income and spend it all on your party.

Much of the increased permanent staff time in the last two years are directly due to the participants, you, me and everyone we know, demanding a cultural course correction of the concierge (PnP) camps failing participation and 10 principle-values, enabling camps with ever-expanding paid outside services, sherpas and outside paid build and strike, the MOOP explosion, and the endangerment of immediacy by Instagram influencer culture.

The BLM continues to be an ever increasing staff time sink even with the event frozen at 80K for several years.

I have to say I'm surprised at the static.

On social media, burners are largely anonymous. So it is hard to separate 2020 DGS ticket buyers from everyone else.

I'm sure the DGS ticket holders feel like they bust their ass providing labor creating the event for free, which is true. But it is also true that DGS ticket buyers are extremely entitled to get tickets compared to the general sale burners, and it is true that camps have been inflating their numbers to game the DGS allocations.

Many have ePlayans have actually read the public 990 (and read the Census, yea Census!) It is pretty easy to see what is what from that. The BMORG will add up the ticket donation proceeds, make several different budgets, go to donors privately, and likely publicly, execute on a budget, and survive.

(I didn't apply for or get DGS tickets. But I'm a little confused at the hunger of 2020 DGS ticket recipients to bite the hand that feeds them tickets, especially since the organizers are working on a DGS ticket reform strategy!) :wink:
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 pm

The DGS recipients, ie The Privileged Class ...

I’ve run theme camps
I’ve run art car builds
I’ve built honoraria big art

If you are doing something substantial, and not some silly thing like merkin and pasty camp crap, it is always at most 20% of your crew, and I mean if you’re really lucky, that do 90% of the work. More often it’s a 10% doing 90% of the work.

So the whole DGS devolved to a giant scam over time to fund camps and oblige the tourists and significant others.

I’m surprised Marion didn’t just tell the DGS hipsters to suck it and consider it a privilege tax for the past 8 years of scams and shenanigans.

Thank the dogs I’m not an angry bitter person. And not one bit judgmental. ;)

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 am

oh excuse me I'm sorry you shifted the model of managing Burning Man to a fucking for profit enterprise and now as a result of market forces you are going to lose money.

Thanks for playing capitalism. Better luck next time I guess.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 am
oh excuse me I'm sorry you shifted the model of managing Burning Man to a fucking for profit enterprise and now as a result of market forces you are going to lose money.

Thanks for playing capitalism. Better luck next time I guess.
Chance_go_to_jail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Tue May 19, 2020 10:31 am

gaminwench wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:30 am
Moving to the Blue Ridge Mountains, already working on plans for the still.
Ah... The Blue Ridge Mountains. Now this whole move thing makes more sense to me! :D

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm

I can see the Blue Ridge from my comfy-chair.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Return to “Articles”