The Future of Burning Man

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
Sham

The Future of Burning Man

Post by Sham » Mon May 04, 2020 4:34 pm

https://donate.burningman.org/
For those of us who have been going to Burning Man for many burns, we can tell you (ad nauseum) what a life altering event this has been for us. The new outlook on life stays with you forever. Prior to your first trip, you will find yourself scared shitless for so many reason. Friends who have agreed to go with you have gotten cold feet and dropped out. You trudge forward, often times solo. Once you arrive, you're surrounded by a surreal landscape and the most amazing and creative souls on this planet. Everyone is welcoming, but the unexpected surprise is that these are people you can relate to--people you will stay in touch with off season and many who will become true lifelong friends. You will find people that you can relate to and find creativeness that resonates with you.

I've said many times that Burning Man should be a mandatory event for every teenage person in order to get their heads screwed on properly. It's truly an event for everyone from families with small children all the way up to the elderly. There is a niche there for virtually everyone.

You will quickly learn to embrace the dust and you'll understand how this dust keeps some many tourists at bay. A good dust storm becomes a big part of your experience. All your preparation pays off for you, and you start thinking and planning for your return trip to this magical Black Rock City--before you even leave the playa.

This event really needs to continue on. It's changing the world. The worldwide pandemic is putting this event at risk of ending permanently. It can't weather the year gap. Expenses continue and it's not possible to eliminate staff, then try to assemble an entire organization a year later.

If you're never attended Burning Man, can I humbly suggest a small donation of $25 to the non profit org., so this desert utopia will be here for you in the future.

If you have been before, then you understand what this culture means to you. You may find yourself unemployed right now, or in a precarious financial situation. A small donation would mean a lot. What can you do for an organization that has done so much for everyone else? https://donate.burningman.org/

More can be read here, but the important thing is for this phenomenon of Burning Man really should be here for many years going forward. https://burningman.org/

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: The Future of Burning Man

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks for the note.

An additional option is to make all your Amazon purchases through Amazon Smile.

If you go to to smile.amazon.com and log into your amazon account you have an opportunity to search for brining man to select them as your beneficiary. .5% of all your purchases if you log into smile when purchasing goes to your beneficiary.

Today there is an Android app for Amazon Smile, on IOS through your browser, or desktop any time.

As you remember, there was a time when Amazon delivered through the US Postal Service to BRC. That was abused and canceled. So there are plenty of burners who buy things on Amazon.

This is a painless way to tide the Burning Man Org through to BRC 2021!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am

After all the complaining for years about vehicle pass prices, ticket price increases, and VIP ticket offerings, it's hard for me to feel sympathy for BMORG and considering donating money to it.

I mean, I know it's a great organization and event and does a lot of good and wonder in the world, but you're telling me after selling $1,200 tickets for years that you need a donation. Come on.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 am

The org was in a bind back in 1997. Money was scarce and the event was on the verge back then. Generosity helped it to survive.
https://www.trippingly.net/burning-man- ... plZJQ3XoaU

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Tue May 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Essentially Burning Man's charitable donors are its cash reserve. And its community is its creative reserve. The leadership well understands that.

Here is a thought experiment, if the organization had $30M or more in cash reserves, would that make them more a target for liability claims? It is simply a fact that until a global pandemic, a major liability situation was the greatest danger to continuing the event.

It is similar to the problem of companies carrying too large cash reserves in relation to their stock price. A hostile corporate raider can simply buy up the stock and liquidate the assets.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue May 05, 2020 3:03 pm

In 2000 I would have donated
In 2005 I would have donated
In 2010 I would have complained and donated

In 2020 - Kiss my raggedy-man ass!

Yeah, it was cool, it was fun, and I haven’t won the ticket lottery in 10 years!

So, maybe MM can hit up Musk, Brin, Page, Ohanian ... and the rest of The Glitterati that drove TTITD from fringe culture into the playground for the rich and shameless.

Yes, I bitter much these days and have no sympathy for BORG mismanagement over the past decade.

Bless

Post by Bless » Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 pm

How much did Fly Ranch cost, again?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Bless wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 pm
Wasn't that purchased by large donations?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Post by Grumpy Otter » Tue May 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Token wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:03 pm
In 2000 I would have donated
In 2005 I would have donated
In 2010 I would have complained and donated

In 2020 - Kiss my raggedy-man ass!

Yeah, it was cool, it was fun, and I haven’t won the ticket lottery in 10 years!

So, maybe MM can hit up Musk, Brin, Page, Ohanian ... and the rest of The Glitterati that drove TTITD from fringe culture into the playground for the rich and shameless.

Yes, I bitter much these days and have no sympathy for BORG mismanagement over the past decade.
Token. If I am reading this right, you have not been in Black Rock City in 10 years? That suggests you are relying on 2nd hand information for your judgement, along with what you saw 11 years ago. 2nd hand info tends to focus on specific pieces like the growth of plug and play and loses the context of everything else.
I have only been there the last 3 years, so I do not have your history of what it was before. I do not like all the plug and play and am not blind to the shortfalls, but there is so much that is still good and cannot be found anywhere else that I believe that Burning Man is not a total loss.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 pm

I've found that if I just avoid the sparkle/PnP gathering spots, there's still plenty of 'old' BRC.

Working around the shiniest, loudest, largest stuff and avoiding K works pretty well for me.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token

Post by Token » Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Grumpy Otter wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:38 pm
Token. If I am reading this right, you have not been in Black Rock City in 10 years? That suggests you are relying on 2nd hand information for your judgement, along with what you saw 11 years ago. 2nd hand info tends to focus on specific pieces like the growth of plug and play and loses the context of everything else.
I have only been there the last 3 years, so I do not have your history of what it was before. I do not like all the plug and play and am not blind to the shortfalls, but there is so much that is still good and cannot be found anywhere else that I believe that Burning Man is not a total loss.
Can’t remember if it was 2010 or 2012 ... it gets hazy.

Regardless, the beginning of the end was way before that, ~ 2004/5 there were signs - the borg2 spectacle, 2007 was the big clusterfuck, then ever growing decay and one bad decision after another.

I ain’t missed nothing special in the past decade I tell you that. Besides, being able to spot the rot - you don’t need to be on Playa for that.

And I didn’t “saw 11 years ago” no nothing Bucko, I lived 10 years of the shit, blood, sweat n beers. Before all yer precious on-site services, cell phone coverage and digital cameras. Now get off my lawn!
/s

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 pm

Whichever group contributes to save Burning Man will have a lot of influence over the future. What strings will be attached If some deep pocket kicks in a lot of money? More plug n play? Food sales on site? Use of the BM name?
I don't think anyone on here wants any of that.
I've donated, give what you can afford.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 am

Things evolved at Burning Man. It had to over the decades. It's still the best game in town. It gets everyone out of their safety zones. Living in dust with all the comforts we're used to missing.
People have changed as well. Political correctness has arrived along with righteous indigence. Ask the folks at Barbie Death Camp.
It's difficult to think back on the days of no speed limits, guns and fireworks allowed and very cheap and plentiful tickets.
Still, I have trouble imaging a future without Burning Man.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 am

Sham wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 am
People have changed as well. Political correctness has arrived along with righteous indignation.
This. Add the stress of the pandemic, and mobs on social media.

My theory is that the organizers have had a lot of poop to deal with over the years. They had to deal with the poop of poop, the poop of dealing with the Nevada highway patrol, dealing with the tribes, dealing with Fly Geyser, the poop of dealing with Washoe on the Work Ranch, the poop of the Gerlach PO dealing with Amazon abuse, the poop of trying to keep Gerlach from simply blowing away economically, the big poop of dealing with the Pershing sheriff & county, continuous poop of dealing with the BLM, the mega-poop of dealing with the EIS, the poop of leveling up with consent, the poop of dealing with ticketing, the poop of outside services, the poop of changing medical providers, the poop of the airport and BxB/BxA which is driven by exodus times, the poop of trademark protection, and more.

They have preferred to do all of that internally. By the way, if you build up a legal department to deal with the BLM, Pershing, and trademark, they are bound to get involved in contracts, thus the ticketing and refund legalese. They are not trying to oppress specific outraged you.

There is simply not a way for the mobs on the Journal, ePlaya, Reddit, or Facebook to participate in those internal complex, legal, and operational solutions.

But of course the mob will state that it is smarter than anyone else and the leadership, board, and all the paid staff are poop!

My personal theory is that Larry saw the whole event as a grand experiment and ecosystem in a petri dish. So it would be fascinating to just see it evolve come what may, The organizers did intervene on safety, expenses, and issues of its existence at all. I'm an advocate of anticipatory anthropology and wish they had seen the disturbance of ostentatious camps colliding with the gen Z thirst for justice, and the impact of Instagram culture colliding with immediacy, a little earlier. To their credit, they responded with the culture project, in which it is not that hard to become involved.

What the organizers have done is created the biggest open source participatory art project in the world, in an almost wilderness, that leaves almost no trace. It has a worldwide branch. They wormed their way into the art museum machinery. They have engaged the sustainability world in the Ranch.

I would suggest focusing participant energy and resources on participating in the open source part! Why would you focus on the poop instead?

If you can give money, give. If you can't give money, don't.

(BTW There would be a lot of use on ePlaya for an expanded emoji library that includes poop! :D )

Bless

Post by Bless » Wed May 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Elderberry wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:22 pm
Bless wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 pm
Wasn't that purchased by large donations?
So why can't it be sold for revenue?

Or, why can't those same corporate donors kick in to "save" the event, right now?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Sham wrote:
Things evolved at Burning Man. It had to over the decades. It's still the best game in town. It gets everyone out of their safety zones. Living in dust with all the comforts we're used to missing.
People have changed as well. Political correctness has arrived along with righteous indigence. Ask the folks at Barbie Death Camp.
It's difficult to think back on the days of no speed limits, guns and fireworks allowed and very cheap and plentiful tickets.
Oh are we supposed to be politically correct out there? I didn’t get that memo... :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Sham wrote:
If the event ends, you just come out to Nevada. I’ll drive you up there, get super high, steal your shoes and blow dust in your face. It’ll be fun :coffee: :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm
If the event ends, you just come out to Nevada. I’ll drive you up there, get super high, steal your shoes and blow dust in your face. It’ll be fun :coffee: :mrgreen:
I'm in! It certainly would be strange to be on the playa camping with no event going on. I wonder if I could last a week?

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed May 06, 2020 6:28 pm

Sham, it's actually AWESOME!!! Do eeeeet!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:54 pm

Sham wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:09 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:38 pm
I'm in! It certainly would be strange to be on the playa camping with no event going on. I wonder if I could last a week?
It’s a really cool place to be when no one else is there. What lurks beyond the shadows...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri May 15, 2020 8:39 am

I really wish the the event could just be frozen and then resume when things are back to normal. As it is, there will be a two year gap between events, and who really knows what 2021 will bring. This virus may not be under control by then.

Token

Post by Token » Fri May 15, 2020 9:14 am

I hope the BORG leadership is getting good advice and can see that gatherings of 80K people is years (yes, plural) in the future.

They need to strip the org down to the bone and just focus on the charity side of the business for a couple-few years and survive for After Rona epoch.

Either this bug gets an effective vaccine or it settles into a seasonal endemic event like influenza. Both outcomes are measured in years, several of them, 2 minimum, 3 likely.

I’ll get optimistic when we see sports pack a stadium again.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 pm

To me, burning Man has always been the place where I could leave my technology packed away and connect to people face to face in the most inhospitable place I've ever been. Spending the week living completely out of my (former) comfort zone and covered in a haze of gray dust seems to be an attraction for me. Anything else is like going to Club Med. :?

Token

Post by Token » Wed May 20, 2020 10:22 am

Sham wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 pm
To me, burning Man has always been the place where I could leave my technology packed away and connect to people face to face in the most inhospitable place I've ever been. Spending the week living completely out of my (former) comfort zone and covered in a haze of gray dust seems to be an attraction for me. Anything else is like going to Club Med. :?
I feel ya Boss-man!

After my final BM I bought a farm, I bought a ranch, moved into the foothills of The Sierras where any technology stack doesn’t work most days, and I’m covered with fine clay dust 9 months of the year. I get mud the other 3.

So worth it!

I even gave up bitching about no-broadband as all y’all ivory tower tech warriors remain shackled to technology and I trade my tech for hand tools and diesel power equipment ;)

My top-of-the-line tech is a circa 1990 high tech invention called a T-1 Line. Dedicated bandwidth baby! - I hope I made you smile. ;)

AC912592-DD29-403A-A6B8-0D3E7B9C7F48.jpeg
AC912592-DD29-403A-A6B8-0D3E7B9C7F48.jpeg (45.71 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

BACON!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed May 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Token wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:14 am
I hope the BORG leadership is getting good advice and can see that gatherings of 80K people is years (yes, plural) in the future.
I sure hope this isn't the case.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon May 25, 2020 12:18 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:34 pm
Thanks for the note.

An additional option is to make all your Amazon purchases through Amazon Smile.

If you go to to smile.amazon.com and log into your amazon account you have an opportunity to search for brining man to select them as your beneficiary. .5% of all your purchases if you log into smile when purchasing goes to your beneficiary.

Today there is an Android app for Amazon Smile, on IOS through your browser, or desktop any time.

As you remember, there was a time when Amazon delivered through the US Postal Service to BRC. That was abused and canceled. So there are plenty of burners who buy things on Amazon.

This is a painless way to tide the Burning Man Org through to BRC 2021!
Thank you! <3
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 am

Trying not to buy from Amazon at all. :coffee:

It might take a while but I’ll get there for the most part.

There are other online companies to patronize.

Ain’t nobody need anything by tomorrow
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”