Need advice on Leave no trace diligence

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
AlexAl
Burning Since: 2012

Need advice on Leave no trace diligence

Post by AlexAl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Burners!

We are a community of friends from Russia, some of us have been at BRC for a number of times since 2012th. Now we are organising our local event. It is not a part of regional BM events, though we want to rely on and promote 10 principles throughout the event. It will happen in a beautiful river island.

Some of the organisers are looking to apply chemical insecticides (Cypermethrin) at the most crowded parts of the island (~5 acres) against mosquitos and ticks to ensure people safety and comfort while others see a violation of Leave no trace principle in that action and insist to use personal repellents.

Please advise on how the mass usage of insecticides corresponds with Leave no trace principle. Especially interested in arguments of those who think that it somehow may. Thank you!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Need advice on Leave no trace diligence

Post by Popeye » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:46 pm

AlexAl wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:30 am
Hi Burners!

We are a community of friends from Russia, some of us have been at BRC for a number of times since 2012th. Now we are organising our local event. It is not a part of regional BM events, though we want to rely on and promote 10 principles throughout the event. It will happen in a beautiful river island.

Some of the organisers are looking to apply chemical insecticides (Cypermethrin) at the most crowded parts of the island (~5 acres) against mosquitos and ticks to ensure people safety and comfort while others see a violation of Leave no trace principle in that action and insist to use personal repellents.

Please advise on how the mass usage of insecticides corresponds with Leave no trace principle. Especially interested in arguments of those who think that it somehow may. Thank you!
Cypermethrin is effective on mosquito larva and pupae, no mention of it being effective on adults so I think you will still get bitten. It is effective against adult fleas but not juvenile or eggs and it will kill fish so maybe not the best choice on an island.
Cypermethrin is toxic to the human nervous system. Symptoms of exposure include dizziness, nausea, headaches, and seizures.

I hangs around for up to 90 days so, yes you are leaving a trace.

Before spraying pesticide I'd give everyone some Dr. Bronners and a scrub bursh and let them jump in the river. Could be fun.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

AlexAl
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Need advice on Leave no trace diligence

Post by AlexAl » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Popeye, thank you! Would highly appreciate thoughts from others.

Return to “Leave No Trace”