Going To Black Rock

All things outside of Burning Man.
moredesert
Burning Since: 2017

Going To Black Rock

Post by moredesert » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm

With Burning Man being canceled this year and being cooped up for the last 4 month self isolating I still have my vacation scheduled. I figured what the heck I might as well go camping at least once this summer. What a better place to practice social distancing in the wide open play.

I saw a video on You Tube of 4th of juplaya of people heading to Block Rock last month during the 4th of July weekend so I figured I need to go. It's not Burning Man but I need to feel the dust between my toes. Has anyone else thought about taking an unofficial burners trip to Black Rock this year. It would be great to see some friendly people out there and at lease pretend it is still going on.

Sham

Re: Going To Black Rock

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:56 am

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 am

I bet a lot of people will have the same thought as you and it will end up with a lot of people on the playa not social distancing or taking proper precautions, which is the exact reason why the event was cancelled in the first place.

You can lead a horse to water... but you can't stop it from attending TTITD. Or, maybe the Feds can. I don't know. I hope they'll be using their finest infrared technologies and all the wonderful tactics they deployed in Portland.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 am

We are still in COVID. People are bored AF, think they are immortal (a burner specialty) and safety third is not a joke right now.

I would consult Friends of Black Rock High Rock and I believe there is a Gerlach Facebook. Gerlach and the towns North and South are small and likely not infected yet. They have very sparse health care capability. How are they even going to get tested if they show symptoms?

I'm not flying anywhere until I'm vaccinated. Look at the bright side, now is a great time to write your great American novel, learn to paint, or learn to sew.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 am

Just go camping somewhere local to you. There are dry lakebeds ( and wet lakes) all over. It won't be BRC, but no one is getting BRC this year.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am

the only way into the super secret, illuminati only, VIP burn (yes, diplo will be there) with free bottle service and more instamodels than you can shake your stick at, is by Jungo Rd. via Winnemucca now known as Gate2020.

don’t forget to stop at the starbucks in Hardin City.
Frida Be You & Me

moredesert

Post by moredesert » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Thank You Sham for the link. There was a lot of good info. The plan is to practice social distancing and where a face mask. The fact that there might be a lot of people out there doesn't mean we have to go around giving hugs. Just keep your distance and ride your bike. :D

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 am

moredesert wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm
With Burning Man being canceled this year and being cooped up for the last 4 month self isolating I still have my vacation scheduled. I figured what the heck I might as well go camping at least once this summer. What a better place to practice social distancing in the wide open play.

I saw a video on You Tube of 4th of juplaya of people heading to Block Rock last month during the 4th of July weekend so I figured I need to go. It's not Burning Man but I need to feel the dust between my toes. Has anyone else thought about taking an unofficial burners trip to Black Rock this year. It would be great to see some friendly people out there and at lease pretend it is still going on.
Meet me at the bike rack
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am
the only way into the super secret, i... is by Jungo Rd. via Winnemucca now known as Gate2020.
Going to be a lot less exclusive now that you've given away how to avoid the Pyramid Lake closure to get in...
Might have to sneak in at night with the lights off.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Canoe wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm
That’s the kind of newbie advice we need more of.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Canoe wrote:
this pleases me
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:37 am

ygmir wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 am
Captain Goddammit wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:50 pm
Canoe wrote:
this pleases me
he he he
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:30 am

1F34AAC3-1F14-4F52-9EFA-B383CAB80312.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:33 pm

I plan on returning to the playa on my own terms some day in the near future alone, carrying sample bags and a small shovel to sample various parts of the playa for analysis - particle size analysis plus isotopic and whole sample chemistry. I'm particularly interested in persistence of halite and gypsum surface layers, and development of illite/montmorillonite ratios over the playa. It will be a small part of my PhD dissertation, tenatively titled: Dust - a Potential New Category of Geohazard. I have permission from BLM to sample. I want to camp on or near the playa, which will save me the 4 a.m. wake-up call from the hotel in Fernley. The other options are to stay at Bruno's, which I'm not thrilled by, or to camp at Pyramid Lake and get up at 5 a.m. Im any case, it will be great to be back on the playa if even for a few days alone.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm

You could try connecting with Joe or Laura, who live in town; one of them *might* let you camp in their yard, since you are actually doing research.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:03 am

gaminwench wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm
You could try connecting with Joe or Laura, who live in town; one of them *might* let you camp in their yard, since you are actually doing research.
Humbly, I wouldn't want to bore them with the intricacies of whatever I'm looking at at the time, especially the things I' m looking for. My self-enforced COVID-19 self-quarantine (I had the test before surgery in the hospital, and I'm negative - woo hoo) has caused me to become more honest with myself as well as more introspective. I might want to wax eloquent but they might not care or understand. Better to keep my mouth shut, my eyes open and pencils sharp.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 am

^Rhino! wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:33 pm
I plan on returning to the playa on my own terms some day in the near future alone, carrying sample bags and a small shovel to sample various parts of the playa for analysis - particle size analysis plus isotopic and whole sample chemistry. I'm particularly interested in persistence of halite and gypsum surface layers, and development of illite/montmorillonite ratios over the playa. It will be a small part of my PhD dissertation, tenatively titled: Dust - a Potential New Category of Geohazard. I have permission from BLM to sample. I want to camp on or near the playa, which will save me the 4 a.m. wake-up call from the hotel in Fernley. The other options are to stay at Bruno's, which I'm not thrilled by, or to camp at Pyramid Lake and get up at 5 a.m. Im any case, it will be great to be back on the playa if even for a few days alone.

The playa was a bombing range in WW2 .. In the surrounding hills have been heaved up.. I have found huge coral @ over 4000 ft.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:01 pm

unjonharley, I attribute that to plate tectonics. This is the same reason that the summit if Mount Everest is composed of fossiliferous marine limestone. WW2 bombs are miniscule and puny by comparison.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Return to “Open Discussion”