So who is still going?

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: So who is still going?

Post by Ano » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:00 pm

The dirty secret about BLM land is that, for the most part, we can go out and do what everyone just did, pretty much whenever. We can do it this weekend, even. We can do it next weekend. It's BLM land, the rules are pretty open, and despite the reputation that the BLM earns at Burning Man itself, the BLM officers I have encountered outside of Burning Man are generally fantastic people who are far more interested in positive stewardship of open public lands than filling out paperwork.

It seems like a lot of people (re?)discovered this fact this past weekend. You can go out to the desert and do a lot of crazy shit and the BLM, for the most part, won't stop you. It's open public land, have fun. It's why they haven't done anything about events like Juplaya other than acknowledge them by staffing more officers during that time.

I hope more people become aware of the fact that you can just roll out to the desert with a few hundred people and do whatever you want within reason, as long as you keep things dispersed.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:57 pm

Overall the cops were the biggest surprise.
They smiled and waved every time they went by.
They’d chat with us. They were super happy to have us out there enjoying our public land independently of a big business selling it to us.
There was one who said when he retired from working out there he’s gonna be a burner himself.
The next surprise, a very large amount of the Facebook burner community hates us. I mean it’s about World War III between the ones who went to the playa and the ones who played video game Burning Man.
On my way out yesterday (Monday) I didn’t see trash on the sides of the road and the playa was looking great.
BLM’s Black Rock Field Manager Mark Hall was there. He was a pretty cool guy.
He was happy to have us out there doing what we’re supposed to be doing on the public land.

Powersliding at 85 mph on flat playa in a race-prepped Can-Am is really fun. Thanks for that ride, eplayan who shall remain nameless but is a friend of mine with some really cool shit.
We were spread so far, at 5 mph you’d be out there forever by the time you got from one end of things to the other.

I don’t know if I’ll ever bring the Land Yacht again, it would have been nice to have it but I was forced to design it for 5mph, it isn’t safe at 30 or 40. Rear steering.
Even a stock golf cart is a bit inadequate. When the playa is wide open, you gotta cover some ground.

On a dirt road just off the east edge of the playa we saw a herd of wild horses. That was cool.

Someone brought porta-potties! I don’t recommend counting on that, but it was pretty cool they were there this time.

Due to the lack of a trash fence, Daft Punk was unable to play a show. They hung out in our shade instead.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:12 pm

What an AWESOME fooking time! Man... Lots of eplaya folks out there. Memorable people and moments for me were:

Ranger Magnum, who offered some interesting burner-related historical insights, and then took Capt Goddammit out for an 85 mph death ride into the nether regions of the playa in his Deux Ex Machine... and they both came back grinning and babbling like idiots.

Capt Goddammit, who never met a mechanical co-morbidity he didnt like, who rolls-up with exactly the tool you need, the fuel you forgot, or the jumper cables you didnt think you needed. :)

The First Mate who kept the cold beer flowing, acted as the designated adult for the Capt’s occasional periods of recess, and made culinary salad magic on short notice more than once. :) :)

Angelo the Insane, who was rocking a *highly* modified John Deere Gator with IncrediTunes (tm) pumped to the nines.... and who got a standing ovation for his twerk-while-driving-to-John-Denver-tunes. You cant make this shit up, kids.

Chip/Nomad, who is a jack of all trades (and master of more than one) who got to play EMS when a noob burner did a faceplant off an ATV and wound-up in a Reno ER. (Angelo was the transport mechanism, orderly, and keeper of bad jokes for that effort btw. These two made a hella good team when the SHTF! Well done, gentlemen!)

Ralph & Brenda were new friends we met. Brenda is a wonderful wild hare in conversations and goes off on these amazing tangents that somehow circle back to the main topic when you arent looking. And Ralph is THAT engineer you call when a party needs to fly... like literally, and the weight and balance people say it cant be done. Lol.

Can-Can/Lisa proved to be her own namesake and made a freaking GALLON of guacamole at PRECISELY the right moment that I later realized I’d happily die for. And oddly enough, I nearly did... but that is another story...

Xi/Z is/was our philosophical princess. Beautiful, frail, strong and a reminder that everything has at least three sides you havent seen yet, and properly limed watermelon can fix nearly any hangover.

Daniel the Humble, who I’m convinced has never met a person he doesnt like. He has a talent for conversations about lemurs, tulips, and the pleasing round firmness of both. He also has a talent for killing rental car batteries, but I digress... hehehe.

Jackass, who looks absolutely *nothing* like his avatar and possesses far deeper insights about the world in general than he ever lets on here on eplaya. (BTW, Dude: that story about the rainforest pygmies and the spiked brownies in the Peace Corps? I’m watching you, Hermano...)

Beams, who we suspect secretly went to the playa to feed the dusty masses and watch people masticate to her name, who consistently produced massive doses of food-based love even when the playa gods were not cooperating. Respect, Girlie!

There were many others who came and went and were loved by all, but due to dehydration (and some statute of limitations issues) arent included in this list, for which the error is mine. :)
Last edited by GreyCoyote on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:17 pm

Just touched down, had a crazy good time. Hung out with eplayans I'd previously and never met who fed me like a king, thank you again. Suffered the wrath of nature yesterday from 9:30 am on, cleared up for about a half hour at sunset then the winds and dirt picked up again like I'd never witnessed before. I never thought the wind could tip over my trailer until last night, even with my truck parked 20 inches away from it as a wind block. I went to sleep feeling like I was riding around the playa laying in the back of a truck that might flip. Then this morning I found treats in the dirt, showed the neighbor kids a thing or two, made more new friends and was awarded a trophy of a horse's ass. Who knows what the desert will bring...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

M F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Re: Thanks for the update

Post by M F Bonz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Well done.
Crap~ sounds like I missed a chance of a lifetime.... but ......life said no.
I really don’t want to go back to the hospital again. Twice is enough.

Facebook is like the third cousin you don't know that you keep catching going though your mothers underwear drawer at the family reunion bbq. I feel icky and need a shower every time I look at it.
Coincidence, traced far enough back becomes and inevitable.

MyPlayaUserName
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 pm

[quote=DoctorIknow post_id=1203660 time=1599538357 user_id=5977]
[quote=MyPlayaUserName post_id=1203659 time=1599537130 user_id=36607]
I.....wish I had been bold enough to go to this "Not Burning Man".
[/quote]

You can go next year...
[/quote]

Yes I do think if we are in the same world limbo at this time next year, I will do my best to make it happen. I completely understand people on the mainland making the unknown treck this time, but I really couldn't face the 3000 miles of flying and quarantine alone. I don't own an RV on the mainland and would need some kind of bathroom. It would be a MAJOR undertaking.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Went and it was epic. Realized the org is only necessary if you want 100k art cars and 100,000w sound camps.

It was 1991 all over again.

See you next year
Praise the Lowered

M F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Post by M F Bonz » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:39 pm

ranger magnum wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:00 pm
Went and it was epic. Realized the org is only necessary if you want 100k art cars and 100,000w sound camps.

It was 1991 all over again.

See you next year
Yep
I have been playing in deserts since the mid-70s.
Dirt bike sock tag is one of my favorites.

I Had a friend that raced motocross in the 70s and another friend that worked at a motorcycle, gun and boat shop Just down the street. We had lots of toys to play with and ammo was never a problem.

California = Deserts, Ocean, Mountains
Coincidence, traced far enough back becomes and inevitable.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Turns out Burning Man is really great if you get rid of most of it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:39 pm
Turns out Burning Man is really great if you get rid of most of it.
Yeowwzer! Now THAT is a CG sig line!!

cryoguy
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: BRC Realty (tour of homes)

Post by cryoguy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 pm

So happy we went! Hung out with the Captain, GreyCoyote and significant others, plus many other such characters. The GreyCoyote crew kept us well fed, thanks. Saved us from eating our backpacking food!
We should be so lucky next year.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”