Fuck global warming 2020 edition

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Fuck global warming 2020 edition

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:54 pm

We went through this on ePlaya with the Paradise Fire. But it has been going on for several years. ePlayans and their families have homes in the danger zones.

With fire, every place, people have breathing difficulties, home destruction, lost pets and livestock, personally fleeing, or just trying to survive. You can't escape breathing with money.

In desperation, people are rigging up janky filters on box fans. Pregnant moms and moms of children are begging for filters. Caretakers of elderly are begging for filters. All the stores are sold out of filters. All this with COVID.

I'm set with my BM mask store, and a nearby fire plug, but I'm in a city fire risk zone filled with smoke.

On Reddit the climate deniers are on climateskeptics, but they do not have to breathe smoke. There may be like groups on your social media.

Stay safe. If you have children or grandchildren raise them to fix this, please!

We are looking at https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow several times a day. It is zoomable.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Re: Fuck global warming 2020 edition

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:52 pm

As covered in the Paradise fire thread, a furnace filter with a fan can DIY help reduce the PMs from smoke.

If such filters are not available, you can substitute cloth. You'd have to experiment which type you have works best, but sometimes having that cloth damp improves the filtration. DON'T have such a wet/damp cloth hanging directly on the fan - you don't want to get electrocuted nor start an electrical fire. You can isolate your filter media and the fan by having the fan on one side of a box (wood or cardboard), and have your wet/damp media on the other, with something to isolate the wet from the cardboard, and below to collected the drips or flow off the cloth. Plastic clothes baskets can work too. Wet your cloth filter with a hand spray bottle from time to time.

Your swamp coolers can double as particle filters. If you don't mind the humidity they create, run them indoors to filter out PMs that get inside your house.

See about closing off your exterior vents. Like the ones that were part of Cal. code for a while that require a fan to be blowing air in/out all of the time. Also, as was part of early radioactive fallout measures, tape the seams of your windows with painters tape to prevent air inflow with PMs. Same around doors. Don't use a tape that will prevent your using the window/door as a fire escape route.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:57 pm

If it's not been too late in your area, there are various web sites in California and other states that have great advice on fire-proofing your home and property. Not guesses, but what has been proven over time and through testing.

Not timely for some vent/structural measures, but very useful to identify removing bushes, trees, even grasses, that are located in proximity to your house that would provide a path for a fire to get to your house. Like anything under the eves that will generate heat that will rise up and ignite them.

Get any dead branches, leaves or tree needles off your roof and out of your gutters. And don't put them next to your house. Rake those up from your property. Same for old boards or firewood near the house, or where they can provide a bridge for fire to jump off to reach the house. Check with your local authorities on proper disposal of burnables at this time, as there's likely a burn ban against burning such debris due to the risk of spread.

If you have enough water, ensure your grass is green. Keep it cut to reduce its potential as fuel volume. If it's dead/dormant, considering cutting it way down to remove that fuel from near your house or on your property. Watch your gas mower doesn't start a fire - keep it clean of debris on the motor.

And you might still find some screening fine enough to prevent embers from entering roof or house venting. Double or triple screens to make a finer screen - not ideal, but better than not doing it.

Get all those cars and trailers away from your house!
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 am

Throughout the West, there must be many stories like this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-nort ... agedy.html

Man attempts to save family, loses grandmother and son.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm

fire-fighting air drop

twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1305520665869590528

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm

With three climate scientist telling the great #45 the planet is warming .. His greatness spoke .. It will cool down , just wait and see .. Science dosen't know everything ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm
... It will cool down , just wait and see ...
But who will protect us from the exploding trees!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:42 am

Canoe wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm
unjonharley wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 pm
... It will cool down , just wait and see ...
But who will protect us from the exploding trees!
Funny and Sad at the same time.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Philosophical Center”