bike, parts shortage

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
art walsh
Burning Since: 2021

bike, parts shortage

Post by art walsh » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 am

I've read that there is a pretty severe shortage of lower end bikes also, parts.

If you've haven't done repairs/upgrades to your playa bike, you may want to do it sooner than later, especially if you need parts.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: bike, parts shortage

Post by Elliot » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:10 pm

Decision, decisions!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:00 pm

That was rude of me, since you are new to this. I apologize.

In addition, I forgot that ePlaya is essentially defunct, so no onslaught of "competing" comments could be expected.

And perhaps my biggest error, outside my rudidity: Out of habit, I assumed you meant On Playa -- which is why I expected a flood of replies. Again, my mistake.

Now... it finally dawned on me....
You must mean that "default world" bicycle dealers and parts-suppliers are low on inventory because of Covid?

I am reminded of an instruction given to me by radio and TV journalists when they have interviewed me: When replying to a question, I should begin my reply by briefly recapping the question, for instant context.
Similarly, an unsolicited statement or question can sometimes benefit from a full introduction, such as perhaps "Considering the Covid-induced interruption of international supply lines, during this time of year when Burners normally acquire and prepair their Playa bicycles...."

In which case....
Your suggestion is indeed an excellent one.
You may be a Birgin, but you are already contributing to the Community.
:D

Now... if only all Burners would do that, every year.
Thanks!
Elliot
camp lead (ret.)
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Piano Lounge (2015 - 2018)

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:46 pm

We keep our bikes (playa and tandem) in good repair. Now we need to hang them.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:31 pm

Yes, absolutely hang bicycles up off the floor, so there is no weight on the tires.
The alternative is to put the bike up-side-down on the floor, but this can risk damaging other parts.

All inner-tubes leak -- it is only a question of degree. Precious few inner-tubes will hold enough pressure for 50 weeks to keep the tire from flattening against the floor.
Heck, on many brand-new $69.95 Crap-Mart bikes, the tires go flat on Playa by around Thursday.

And a flattened tire is a cracking tire, and next time you pump it up and ride it you have a blown-out tire.

"Thorn Resistant" very-thick-rubber tubes can hold a few months, but I do not trust them for 11 months.

That said, I would urge everyone to install Thorn Resistant tubes, even at full retail price of as much as $16 each. The extra thickness protects against "normal" punctures -- which invariably happen from any use, even on the thorn-free Playa.

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:22 pm

At least double wall rims. Spokes puncture the tube on single wall rims, even on a flat surface.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 am

If you’re got a 1974-1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike BMX bike, don’t hang it upside down, the shocks will leak oil.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

asteroid
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Tautology

Post by asteroid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:47 am
If you’re got a 1974-1976 Yamaha Moto-Bike BMX bike, don’t hang it upside down, the shocks will leak oil.
That sounds like the voice of experience ...

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”