Sober on the Playa

All things outside of Burning Man.
MrMullen

Sober on the Playa?

Post by MrMullen » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:45 pm

I know this might come as a shock to some of you out there, but some of us don't drink or do drugs. Now, that out of the way, is there an AA meeting on the Playa during Burningman? Camp Bill W of a sorts?
--
Mr Mullen

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:44 pm

There are actually several meetings each day on the playa, at various camps. I know of at least one sobriety-themed camp, Anonymous Camp (location not known yet, but keep checking Theme Camp listings, and it should be shown in the WHat Where When, too). Actually, the WWW and theme camp listings should point you to any groups who are running meetings or providing other such resources.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:48 am

From the 2004 theme camp listing (and like AG said, keep checking back)
Anonymous Camp
12-step meetings of any type held here, scheduled and impromptu.

Hometown: Minnetonka, MN
URL: www.p90.net/anonycamp/

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:15 am

"Hey...listen, I'm going to this totally insane party out in the desert with 'bout thirty-five thousand total nut-jobs who're gonna pound themselves into mental, physical, spiritual, and metaphorical jell-o....and I was just wondering if there would be any AA meetings?"

"Yes, several each day."

I fucking love love love love this shit.
What is Driveway's Game?

HughMungus

Re: Sober on the Playa?

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:23 am

MrMullen wrote:I know this might come as a shock to some of you out there, but some of us don't drink or do drugs. Now, that out of the way, is there an AA meeting on the Playa during Burningman? Camp Bill W of a sorts?
You're not alone. I've met tons of people who don't do anything at Burning Man.
It's what you make it.

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:02 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:
MrMullen wrote:I know this might come as a shock to some of you out there, but some of us don't drink or do drugs. Now, that out of the way, is there an AA meeting on the Playa during Burningman? Camp Bill W of a sorts?
You're not alone. I've met tons of people who don't do anything at Burning Man.

My soberness is a new thing, so when I went last year, I drank and partyed it up all day and all night, and I barely lasted 4 days. I don't know how some people can do 7 or 8 days of that.

I really think I am going to have more fun this year. When I am sober, I can 10x as much stuff and remember it all, which is important. I am also much more fun.
--
Mr Mullen

mamasaid

sober is best, you get high anyway

Post by mamasaid » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:35 pm

Best year I ever had was mostly sober, except a little red wine.

and I was high as a kite the whole time.

Maldita
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire

Janka

Post by Janka » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:24 am

I usually occasionally tend to drink quite heavily in parties (bad me), but on the playa for some reason I did not feel like drinking that much. Sure, I had something most days - if nothing else just a beer&sprite (yes, yes, horrible, ain't it) during the hottest part of the day - but I think I was actually drunk about twice during the week and not seriously pissed-off once. I just did not feel like drinking, for some reason; I suppose I felt that I got more out of it sober(ish). Not that the couple of times wouldn't have been fun too.
"The great way is low and plain,
but people like shortcuts over the mountains."

http://www.iki.fi/janka/log/

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:47 am

MrMullen wrote:My soberness is a new thing, so when I went last year, I drank and partyed it up all day and all night, and I barely lasted 4 days. I don't know how some people can do 7 or 8 days of that.
I'd imagine that most people take breaks. I can't imagine getting hammered every night for 7 days...or even 4. Every OTHER night works for me.
It's what you make it.

upriver

Post by upriver » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:12 am

Sobriety is fairly new for me too--since right after last years burn. I spent my whole 8 days fully wastado and blacked out most of my best times last year. I've been doing AA on a daily basis for about seven months now and look forward to meetings on the Playa. I went to a 4 day regional burn last weekend and stayed totally sober and had WAY more fun then I ever did boozing and drugging. I'm totally excited to do Burning Man sober this year. See you at a meeting.
www.barefootboogie.net

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:25 am

upriver wrote:Sobriety is fairly new for me too--since right after last years burn. I spent my whole 8 days fully wastado and blacked out most of my best times last year. I've been doing AA on a daily basis for about seven months now and look forward to meetings on the Playa. I went to a 4 day regional burn last weekend and stayed totally sober and had WAY more fun then I ever did boozing and drugging. I'm totally excited to do Burning Man sober this year. See you at a meeting.
So here's something I've always wondered about: Why can't people just moderate themselves? If you know it's a bad idea to get hammered every night, why do you do it? Can't you just do what others do and just NOT get wasted every night? I don't get it.
It's what you make it.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:52 am

There is a saying... One is too many, a thousand not enough...

THAT's the difference between those "in the program" and "normies".

Some have no problem with alcohol or drugs - they can drink to their hearts content or smoke or do whatever and not think about it. No obsessiveness about it. Some can do anything they want but that one "drug of choice" (can be booze, BTW) and their roller coaster starts (no shit, it's true...). And for some, that one shot (or line or toke or whatever) starts the insanity, and everything comes crashing down! And no, you can't stop. No matter how bad you may want to.

For an addict (or alcoholic or whatever) there is no such thing as moderation - it's either "all in" or "all out". Once you start, you don't stop. And it's selective (unlike what they tell you in NA) - some people can drink or toke a doobie or drop a hit with no problem saying that's it, but let them do a line of crank, for example, and it's all over - next stop is a meeting or a nuthouse or a jail cell or a grave. Others can take a swig-o-beer and next thing they're fixin' (shooting up) in the corner 6 times a day. Seen this, and it's sad.

Be grateful you asked that question - it means you're on the other side of the fence - the one that lets you drink or whatever and survive, to be able to say "no more".

I'm just glad that anywhere you go - even if it's to the biggest little temporary city in the world - there's a meeting there if you need one...

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:26 am

NA/AA Spoken in my camp. 6/22/62. The will be small sign on my camp.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:10 pm

unjonharley wrote:NA/AA Spoken in my camp. 6/22/62. The will be small sign on my camp.
Happy 43rd birthday and change.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:42 pm

After 8 years on the playa, my husband's first sober burning man was '04. THE BEST was listening to him tell his home group later that his last meeting on the playa was led by a naked woman.

The other best was how much more he was able to participate. But the VERY best is that he has survived to see another year on the playa. AA/NA is definately spoken with love in Jungle Camp.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
unjonharley wrote:NA/AA Spoken in my camp. 6/22/62. The will be small sign on my camp.
Happy 43rd birthday and change.

~
Tanks Kid.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Thanks to the admins for sticky-izing this one - y'all's awesome!

Hugz,
BBS

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:23 pm

A little plug for Camp Stella, a gay-oriented clean and sober camp which welcomes new members. Check out Camp Stella online.

Come by and say hi...I'll be the one in the funny hat.
I love monkeys and boys but especially monkey-boys

Marvo03

Post by Marvo03 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:25 pm

Hokey Pokey Awakenening we are a Sober Camp. Friends of Bill W. meetings 5 PM everyday starting the 29th. We are a 24 hour camp if you need to get away from it all. Camp Stella has an excel lent web page if your sober and new. They list the AA meetings . We do have fun

darren y
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: VAMP CAMP

Post by darren y » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:23 am

darren from the vamp camp here, sober 11 yrs cant speak for the rest of my camp but find me in the church bus @ 8:30 & ??
or i'll be @ several meetings t/o the event
aka: Mr. Mister

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:40 am

Marvo03 wrote:Camp Stella has an excel lent web page if your sober and new.
Do you have the url?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:33 am

Fishy- the url for Camp Stella is campstella.org

Happy Monday!
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Marvo03

Post by Marvo03 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:38 pm

Get up off that seat and dance and you will feel better, opps that is what we do at 12 daily. Hokey Pokey Camp is in the 3:00 Plaza and we are surrounded by some of the best camps on the playa. Friends of Bill W. meeting daily at 5:00. Hope to see you there. Peace Marvo

Syntonia

Sober on the Playa

Post by Syntonia » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:24 am

Upriver and other Clean and Sober Kin....Syntonia here happily hyperconcious 16 years. If you are peering over the precipice seek me big chunks of wavy blonde big nose to match volunteering with Mental Health Branch. Who knows I may be on the verge of relapse and your seeking arrives in the nick of time to pull me back.
Syntonia

oneway

new burner clean n sober

Post by oneway » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:31 am

going with my girlfriend. she is a normy but will participate in at least one psychadelic event. i will need a meeting. nervous about my first burning man experience.

help. :arrow:

firepoet

Mars on acid

Post by firepoet » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:27 pm

This will be number 8 for me. I have described burning Man like Mars on acid except that you don't need the acid.

I enjoy a little wine and a few margaritas but have found any more that that takes away from the experience... the more conscious of my unconsciousness I am the better it gets.

Michael
Happyland

darren y
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: VAMP CAMP

Post by darren y » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:03 pm

a conscious mind is the olny way to go!!
aka: Mr. Mister

ckburn
Burning Since: 2000

Post by ckburn » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:37 am

Camp Anonymous is located near 5:30 and Catharsis this year, and will definitely have 12-step meetings at Noon and 6pm, as they have for years. Other meetings will also be available at this camp, and a schedule will be posted in the meeting tent.

As has been mentioned, there are other great sober camps on the Playa, including Camp Stella and Hokey Pokey.

ckburn
[color=olive]
we believe in the force of love,
that the governing principle in
human relationships is the principle
of love, which seeks to help and heal;
never to hurt or destroy
[/color]

omtaiyoqi

Post by omtaiyoqi » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:30 pm

I am too will be sober the whole time. But I will be high from energy-workouts and workshops on universal energy - Please see www.omtaiyo.com for schedules at various camps.

BigBeare

Post by BigBeare » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:59 pm

upriver wrote:Sobriety is fairly new for me too--since right after last years burn. I spent my whole 8 days fully wastado and blacked out most of my best times last year. I've been doing AA on a daily basis for about seven months now and look forward to meetings on the Playa. I went to a 4 day regional burn last weekend and stayed totally sober and had WAY more fun then I ever did boozing and drugging. I'm totally excited to do Burning Man sober this year. See you at a meeting.
You went sober and had a good time and yet you want to get together with other people for AA meetings? Jeez, why not just stay home and go to all the AA meetings you want? If you've already done a regional gathering sober, you can do BM.

As for me, it's too hot to drink or do drugs, and the art provides me such a surreal experience the drugs and drink aren't worth doing.
Keeping America safe from techno, trance, and tribal.

Return to “Open Discussion”